HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:07 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
Discussion
Best Dremel model tool?

Just wondering what model Dremel you all use, and with what attachments.

Sorry if this isnt the right area, I searched and found this to be the most relevant.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 10:25 PM
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Sep 2009
54 Posts
Dremel

Dear Wings:

I gave up on Dremel tools about 10 years ago. Prior to that I used them exclusively for about 30 years. I had two Dremel tools fail in quick succession after only a few months of use, so I switched to Black and Decker rotary tools which are easier to use, 1/3 the price and MUCH better quality. I have found them in the past for just under $30.00 on sale at Walmart!

The Black and Decker claims only 3 speeds but the speed is variable between the detents allowing precise speed control. Locking the collet does NOT require a wrench.

All the Dremel attachments I have tried so far fit just fine. I use just about everything that is available for these tools as they are extremely useful. I have about 4 of these tools all with different bits, ready to go at my bench!

I guess the most useful bits for me are the fiber type cut-off wheels, Robart grinding drums and the Dremel sanding drum. The wire brush wheel is great for removing dried epoxy without damaging the underlying balsa. Pretty cool!

These tools will soon become the most used tool in your shop!
049flyer is offline Find More Posts by 049flyer
Old Dec 02, 2014, 04:09 PM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
494 Posts
Hi Propsnwings.

I, too, don't use my Dremel much any more. I was in a WoodCraft store a couple of years ago and found a WeCheer rotary tool. Bought it and haven't looked back. Here's a pic of the three I have and, as you can see, the WeCheer is much smaller than the Dremel. The WeCheer is 18V DC, variable speed and can use Dremel bits with 3/32 or 1/8" shank. It is very quiet when running. An alternative to think about. BTW the pink one is a made in China 'clone' of the WeCheer you can find in Michaels for under $20 with 40% coupon - it's called a beading drill. It isn't of the quality of the WeCheer though. FWIW
Bick is offline Find More Posts by Bick
Last edited by Bick; Dec 02, 2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot pic
Old Dec 02, 2014, 11:04 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Dear Wings:

I gave up on Dremel tools about 10 years ago. Prior to that I used them exclusively for about 30 years. I had two Dremel tools fail in quick succession after only a few months of use, so I switched to Black and Decker rotary tools which are easier to use, 1/3 the price and MUCH better quality. I have found them in the past for just under $30.00 on sale at Walmart!

The Black and Decker claims only 3 speeds but the speed is variable between the detents allowing precise speed control. Locking the collet does NOT require a wrench.

All the Dremel attachments I have tried so far fit just fine. I use just about everything that is available for these tools as they are extremely useful. I have about 4 of these tools all with different bits, ready to go at my bench!

I guess the most useful bits for me are the fiber type cut-off wheels, Robart grinding drums and the Dremel sanding drum. The wire brush wheel is great for removing dried epoxy without damaging the underlying balsa. Pretty cool!

I really like the idea of the Black and Decker tool as I didn't know Dremel accessories fit it. Thanks so much!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2014, 10:30 AM
The Junk Man
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2006
1,692 Posts
Just to muddy the water further I have,and use, Dremel tools. A Dremel 8220 cordless and a couple of older corded Dremels too.

But nowadays at my home shop I use a Foredom and at my office shop two Proxxons. Once you crank up a Proxxon and listen to those sweet bearings hum you will think Dremel pre-loaded theirs with sand.

Tom
T_om is offline Find More Posts by T_om
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,923 Posts
Without ever hearing a Proxxon, I've felt that Dremel bearing were packed with sand.

I seem to eat Dremel tools like they are candy. I plan to switch brands when my current tool expires.

From the sound of it's bearings, it won't be long.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Dec 06, 2014, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2014
407 Posts
Foredoms are very nice, and make Dremels look cheap as candy.
Cadillac of rotary tools.
CV12Steve is online now Find More Posts by CV12Steve
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:38 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Dear Wings:

I'll also endorse the B&D RTX.

I bought one on a whim at the B&D outlet store while visiting Branson, Mo., gave $17 for it as a factory refurbished. It has become my favorite rotary tool, it runs smoother than my Dremel and is much easier to change tool.

I've three rotary tools now, an older Dremel, the B&D RTX and a half size B&D detail model that is half the size of the other two. I use the RTX ten times the amount of the other two.

I don't mean to bad mouth Dremel however as I bought a Dremel Trio tool that I love. It is has a base and is superb with a rotary cutting bit or when wishing to do precise rotary sanding.
AA5BY is offline Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by AA5BY; Dec 07, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:44 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
I found a (what I believe is a knock off of the B&D) .. at Menards. Its the Performax rotary tool. I just picked it up for $40 and had a $20 mail in rebate. It had 500 accessories. It accepts all Dremel accessories that I have tried with it.

Has a 2 yr warranty, that is honored by taking the tool back to menards with receipt... pretty good in my book. So far it seems very good. The B&D is not available in stores in my area, the only place I found it was on Amazon.

Here is a link http://www.menards.com/main/p-2377695-c-12869.htm

I also found the same exact design at True Value.. seemed to be also a knock off of the B&D.
http://www.truevalue.com/mobileProdu...2557/61831.uts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2014, 09:52 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
I found a (what I believe is a knock off of the B&D) .. at Menards. Its the Performax rotary tool. I just picked it up for $40 and had a $20 mail in rebate. It had 500 accessories. It accepts all Dremel accessories that I have tried with it.

Has a 2 yr warranty, that is honored by taking the tool back to menards with receipt... pretty good in my book. So far it seems very good. The B&D is not available in stores in my area, the only place I found it was on Amazon.

Here is a link http://www.menards.com/main/p-2377695-c-12869.htm

I also found the same exact design at True Value.. seemed to be also a knock off of the B&D.
http://www.truevalue.com/mobileProdu...2557/61831.uts
The True Value is not a B&D knock off of the RTX... note it uses a spindle wrench when changing tool as a Dremel does. The RTX has a spindle lock very cleverly designed that when it is engaged, the tool can't be accidentally powered up. The spindle lock and collet system on the RTX is heavenly. It requires no wrench to change a tool bit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2014, 10:04 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
Ok, I missed that on the True Value one.

But the Menards Performax, does have the Spindle lock.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2014, 01:20 PM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,438 Posts
Looking at the Menards... it also supplies a wrench but it may have a spindle lock button. The genius of the RTX is that the spindle lock is a lever that does not need held, which makes for very easy operation of the collet and super easy tool changes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2014, 07:31 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Without ever hearing a Proxxon, I've felt that Dremel bearing were packed with sand.

I seem to eat Dremel tools like they are candy. I plan to switch brands when my current tool expires.

From the sound of it's bearings, it won't be long.
Agreed ! When I first ran mine ~10 years ago I found the bearings as laughable.
Took it apart , took out the bearings ..removed their shields, washed out their lube.
Repacked with Molyslip , reassembled and they have been good ever since .
Have had to repair the speed control .. Twice.
Mine was 'made in Malaysia' IIRC
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:09 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Dec 2004
9 Posts
Milwaukee M12 rotary tool

Since I already had many Milwaukee M12 cordless tools, when they came out with a rotary tool I had to try it. They are awesome. More power than my corded Dremel. They are currently on sale at Home Depot (in store only) for $59 for the kit with battery and charger. It's a steal at that price.
panman is offline Find More Posts by panman
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:23 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
Ya I have the Milwaukee job site stereo and M12 packs... that would be a good cordless option for me as well.
RCG Plus Member