Old Jul 26, 2014, 05:09 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
Discussion
Foxtech 1 Hour fly X4/X8-- Devourer 1300mm Huge Quad

Hi Guys,
Foxtech has been bringing the good quality multicopter equipment since 2012,
this time we bring you the huge quadcopter Devourer 130(D 130)
the D130 is a 1300mm quad that can adapt 8108 or U8 motor and also 30 inch prop max.
With different power setup, the D130 can fly either very long or lift heavy load without a glitch.
the frame comes with newly designed auto landing gear and X8 convert kits.

With the advance of Aerial photo video and FPV industry, there are more and more requirements and demands for long flight time of aircraft. To meet the demand and inherit Foxtech innovation spirit, now we release the long-anticipated Large Quadcopter--Devourer after countless tests and improvements .
The Devourer is equipped with formidable power system (Foxtech supreme 2880 propeller, Foxtech 8108 motor/T-motor U8, Foxtech Multi-Pal 60A ESC). Such perfect system not only guarantees the ideal long flight time to almost one hour, but also generates amazing lifting capacity up to more than 10kg.
Besides The devourer is also foldable, for a quick set up and immediate launching at job site.The angle of arm is adjustable from ∠0-8, and the servo is endowed with collision-protection. When descending or ascending is complete, the power to the servo is cut to avoid any burn caused by collision.
Devourer X4/X8 is an ideal AP/FPV platform that ensures you a safe and long time fly!

The Devourer 130(D130)X4/X8 is available in our store , There are different Combos you can choose.

Product Link: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-d1...c-254_258.html

Foxtech Devourer X4 Long Time Fly Test (3 min 4 sec)

Foxtech D130 X8 Fly Demo (with 7kg payload ) (2 min 52 sec)

Foxtech D130 X8 Long Time Fly Test (AUW 18kg 19mins Flight Time ) (1 min 47 sec)

D130 was reported by RCGroups News : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post29039980
glassfox is offline Find More Posts by glassfox
Site Sponsor
Last edited by glassfox; Sep 26, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 AM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined May 2006
643 Posts
Prop over Prop is very in efficient from what i am told.
Several friends tried them and all of them sold them.
After that i personally never tried one.
Be interesting to see otherwise because i have motors for a setup like this.
gtxkid is online now Find More Posts by gtxkid
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:20 AM
United States, OR, Mt Hood
Joined May 2014
611 Posts
Done correctly a coaxial motor installation is actually about 5% to 6% more efficient than a side by side set up. Although theoretical math suggests the side by side is better, practical application testing has proven to the contrary.

Glassfox,

Building a 1300mm rig with U8 motors and large props is nothing new. Many, including myself, have done that already. What did Foxtech do to provide safe and acceptable flight controller interaction with the motors? What has Foxtech done to improve the slow reaction time of slow motors using large props to enable flight in conditions with any level of wind?

There are extremely serious issues relative to flight control of large props/slow motors with current flight controllers and unless one uses a controller that permits absolute flexibility in all areas the aircraft will become unstable and crash when the wind blows. Even with such flexibility slow motors and large propellers do not respond to FC control inputs fast enough to effectively control the aircraft. Not one of the flight controllers suggested for this aircraft is capable of providing effective flight control in anything but ultra calm conditions. The motor/prop combination will require an 8s to 12s battery to function with effective reaction times and the noted controllers can't run over 6s.

The large frame is nice but ditch the quad configuration and large props for an X8 with much smaller props. After that all you have to do is figure out how large your batteries can be and still have a payload with relatively decent flight time.
PatR is online now Find More Posts by PatR
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:35 PM
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined May 2006
643 Posts
I would say that a design of a flight controller is #1 concern.

Just thinking about it i would say that a controller need to have individual motor RPM control as to vary and or match rpm on each under and over pair.
gtxkid is online now Find More Posts by gtxkid
Old Jul 26, 2014, 03:31 PM
Joined May 2014
611 Posts
I've been flying X-8's for awhile now. Although the standard flat 8 is a little smoother due to propeller geometry the X-8 is still an improvement over a quad in any configuration. Good controllers have no issues with propeller speeds for an X-8. All of the better FC's have individual motor controls, which is why they are stable when set up correctly. One simply selects the motor configuration from the controller set up menu to establish the correct number of motor control functions.

The issues with the 1300mm bird mentioned above will not be with the motor placement, but with the slower reaction mass of very large propellers combined with low kV motors. About the best refresh rate you can hope for with the FC is ~500hZ, while a Super-X is well under that. The Tiger type ESC's refresh at ~400hZ unless using KDE products (600hZ) but you still have a 50hZ motor (the motor IS a servo) that is maxing out at ~2700 RPM with a U8-170 motor and 28" Tiger propeller. To obtain more RPM you need a lot more voltage than a 6s battery provides. Flight stability is all about extremely fast transmission of control logic to a high switch rate ESC in order to generate propeller responses as quickly and efficiently as possible to deal with constantly changing flight conditions. Things have to happen fast or control/motor/propeller response falls waaaay out of sync with FC commands. In short, the aircraft starts to toilet bowl, violently, and heads for the ground and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. If there is absolutely no wind things work out if you do everything slow and smooth but once the wind starts blowing too many changes begin taking place for the system to keep up with.

I know this because I've done it, and Foxtech is not telling people what they need to know, and most don't have a clue. But they'll run out and buy the latest, greatest, ultra large "heavy lifter" and splatter the thing within a couple of flights. Tried the A2, tried the Wookong, and they were found wanting.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 08:41 PM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
dear PatR and other friends.
I understand your concerns about flight control for this big quad.
We have tried A2 on it and worked perfectly
the key is to use decent light and strong prop, which doesn' t bend at high rpm and light enough that the motor can turn it easily.
especially on a Quad, the motor rpm changes rapidly, using a heavy propeller doesn't work.
the motor will react slower than necessary so the whole quad will not be stable.

please check our test videos, all the videos were made of U8 KV170 and Foxtech Supreme 2880 , the U7 kv170 doesn't have enough torque as much as KV100 and KV135.
but it still ran perfectly with light weight. because the Supreme 2880 is only 70g, just a bit heavier than a normal 18inch prop
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2014, 09:09 PM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
Foxtech Devourer Quadcopter (6 min 28 sec)

I have personally done manual mode fly with DJI A2 ,
we used Multipal 600hz ESC on this quad. Motor responds quite quickly to the control signal.
Not yet done a back flip since I don't think it's necessary so far.
please check the fly stability, with some load it will be more stable.
we will do a 2kg load fly time test to simular NEX cam and gimbal.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined May 2014
611 Posts
Only 2kg? You should be able to lift over 6kg of ballast and still make lift off at 50% throttle. Do a video where you fly out the battery with the leaves on the trees and branches moving in the wind. Not trying to be argumentative but that beast will change colors as soon as the wind blows. Too many have learned that the hard and expensive way. I have a 1230mm Vulcan in my living room that is just about a match to that equipment wise. U8-kV170x4 with 28" T-Motor props.
Last edited by PatR; Jul 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:36 AM
Australia, NSW, Smiths Lake
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
it woulf be great to see a somewhat smaler x8 ( 1000 - 1100) with smaller props (max.22").
together with a u7 .it would be powerful enough to carry any load up to 24kg and you don`t have such a monster.
don_guru is offline Find More Posts by don_guru
Old Jul 27, 2014, 03:45 AM
Joined May 2014
611 Posts
Not hard to build.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 04:37 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Only 2kg? You should be able to lift over 6kg of ballast and still make lift off at 50% throttle. Do a video where you fly out the battery with the leaves on the trees and branches moving in the wind. Not trying to be argumentative but that beast will change colors as soon as the wind blows. Too many have learned that the hard and expensive way. I have a 1230mm Vulcan in my living room that is just about a match to that equipment wise. U8-kV170x4 with 28" T-Motor props.
I know that, but I think 6kg will make this quad lose its efficiency.
for 6kg, you should leave it to X8 setup.

by using high voltage ESC and U8 and 18 inch prop and 12S lipo
it should be a nice X8 monster then.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:08 AM
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR View Post
Not hard to build.
in general its not hard to build, but when it comes to foldable arms........
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:41 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
and folding landing gear too,
I have to add,
once upgrade to X8 configuration, the landing gear is still working without modification.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 27, 2014, 07:46 AM
Joined Nov 2012
17 Posts
@glassfox

what do you think - are you going to build a smaller x8 for 18-22" props with lets say 25mm foldable arms?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 09:02 AM
Tianjin, China
Joined Jan 2008
2,734 Posts
well ,you can use 22 inch prop on Devourer without problem.

we can think about the possibility of a smaller frame later.
Site Sponsor