HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2014, 08:32 PM
I'm going flying..........
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
649 Posts
My USCutter MH machine has been working great. I've burned up lots of vinyl and app tape. USCutters customer service has continued to impress me. I had a issue w/a roll of their Greenstar house vinyl and a quick email had me a store credit for a full roll. I have also grown to really like AT60. You have to go thru a little learning curve with it but it is worth it.

Just finished a 92" laser cut kit. All the trim is vinyl. Had a great time designing it. I'm very happy with how it came out.
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2014, 10:32 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,748 Posts
Very nice work!
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 28, 2014, 12:08 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
260 Posts
Nice work!

I also started using adhesive vinyl recently to make my white foamies more visible. But once i got in to it more, I started to have some fun with it as well.

I use the Silhouette Cameo vinyl cutter. What I really like about it is the software. It's a well thought out vector drawing package with just the kind of tools I need to get the job done. Love the way it lets me print and cut vinyl for those times when I need to make a special element.

Here's some examples. Except for the painted cowls, everything you see pictured is cut vinyl.

bb
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Dec 22, 2014, 03:23 PM
United States, OH, Chardon
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Hello all,

After reading this entire thread, I decided I had to have a Cameo Silhouette.

After receiving it and getting it setup immediately realized the software is the weak link so to speak, as mentioned often in various posts, but never fear, I have Adobe Illustrator CS5 so I just ordered the plug-in - Silhouette Connect (for another $30!)

Unfortunately it is about as buggy, if not more so, than Silhouette Studio or Silhouette Designer. Most of the time when I hit the button to send the object from AI to Connect, nothing happens!

Has anyone else had problems with Connect.......not connecting? If so, I'd love to hear what your solution is.

All the best,
Mike
BigMikeUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BigMikeUSMC
Old Dec 22, 2014, 05:36 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,531 Posts
I wasnt aware the Silhouette studio or designer was buggy? I own and use the Cameo. Its a great cutter and I have not had any issues with it.

I generally just bring in designs into the Silhouette Studio and use the trace function. Maybe I am missing out on what more I could be doing, but for now its working well for me.
PropsnWings is online now Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2014, 06:04 PM
United States, OH, Chardon
Joined Mar 2012
12 Posts
Hello,

You will note I didn't say anything negative about the cutter itself - my primary complaint is their software, most notably Silhouette Connect.

Silhouette Studio and the upgrade (another $50), Designer Edition are OK but very basic and in that I already have Adobe Illustrator I figured using Silhouette Connect would allow me to utilize this much more powerful program.

So far that's not been the case - works perhaps 10% of the time, with most of the time nothing happening when I click the link in AI to send it to Connect. Unfortunately had the same experience trying to use Connect with CorelDraw X7, so it would appear it's Connect and not the two high-end, widely used drawing programs.

Perhaps it's a simple fix, but I sure don't know what it is at this point.

Mike
BigMikeUSMC is offline Find More Posts by BigMikeUSMC
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:04 PM
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMikeUSMC View Post
Hello,

You will note I didn't say anything negative about the cutter itself - my primary complaint is their software, most notably Silhouette Connect.

Silhouette Studio and the upgrade (another $50), Designer Edition are OK but very basic and in that I already have Adobe Illustrator I figured using Silhouette Connect would allow me to utilize this much more powerful program.

So far that's not been the case - works perhaps 10% of the time, with most of the time nothing happening when I click the link in AI to send it to Connect. Unfortunately had the same experience trying to use Connect with CorelDraw X7, so it would appear it's Connect and not the two high-end, widely used drawing programs.

Perhaps it's a simple fix, but I sure don't know what it is at this point.

Mike
I bought the Silhouette Cameo over a year and a half ago and use their software (the Designer Edition is a must) exclusively. I'm very pleased with the product. At the time I based my decision mostly on the software after having downloaded the free version to examine its tool set.

I've tried to venture out to other vector software - iDraw and the vector portion of Pixelmator - importing SVG files etc - only to come back to the Silhouette software every time. IMO you give up too much of the power of their well thought out integrated software to pick up creative tools elsewhere that are way beyond the scope of the task at hand.

If you think about it, drawing vector based objects for the purpose of cutting vinyl accents for a plane is not the same as designing a multi colored graphic for print. Illustrator is a fantastic program but an unnecessary overkill IMO. You lose out on way too many very useful integrated tools in the Silhouette software if you limit it to just an import tool to drive the cutter.

One minor exception is for the case of printed vinyl. On rare occasions I might use external software to create a multi colored element/logo on vinyl, then import it in to the Designer (via SVG file) for both printing and cutting. It's very slick the way Designer drivers both a printer and the cutter (I use an HP inkjet) . It lays down registration marks on the print that are then sensed by the cutter head to accurately cut out the printed design.

As for the Connect feature, I have never used it but again I've had no need for it. There is almost no shape I cannot create in Designer with the tools they provide. Again, in the context of vinyl shapes for application on a plane. And while I have encountered a few minor bugs in Designer here and there, I've never had it crash or lock up on me. BTW I'm strictly a Mac user.

bb
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Old Dec 25, 2014, 01:44 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,515 Posts
Inkscape + import via DXF and waste no more money on the Silhouette software. It works great for cutting and tracing, but it is fairly terrible for drawing. (Though, I am probably on a fairly old version. If yours is buggy, you might check for updates?)
Nergall is online now Find More Posts by Nergall