SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:28 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Hitchhiker Bug at 800ft

Had a WOW! look at that! happen when we viewed the footage from my Radian + key cam flight over Lake Natimuk in Victoria Australia. Unbeknown to me a Bug had climbed aboard my Radian and as the footage will show, it had an awesome flight! Even doing a bit of Wing Walking trying to find the best place to sit out the rest of it's flight! "The Bug" never came back out so the vid ends there, but we are sure it would have made it back to earth if it can hang on like it did! I have cut out all bits that do not feature "The Bug!" but i can tell you there was some hairy maneuvers done in the parts we cut out and just how "The Bug!" stayed on has me beat?
Anyway sit back and see how many times you can see "The Bug!"
The scenery of and around the lake is spectacular too if you can take ya eyes off that "Bug!" Haha

cheers chuck

Radian Hitchhiker "The Bug" Wing Walking At 800ft (4 min 11 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:05 AM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Good job cliffkot! I am sure your solution works as well as mine. It's great to know that others have seen this obvious weakness and have solved it in their own way. Even a blob of bubble-gum, strategically placed, would be an improvement over the stock design.
I like both mods- i will try one of them- probably the wire - maybe both-lol
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
here is another crazy flight- we get stopped by a train on way to a river sandbar we had picked for the days video- so we just hopped out and tossed 'em up and chased the train- yes -of course I crashed- I crashed everywhere this day- even into the river- that video is next... closing in on 250,000 VIEWS ON YOU TUBE...

Railroad Radian Plane crashes near train (5 min 59 sec)
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:47 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I think if I jumped out around here and threw up a plane near a train and others saw it the 911 lines would light up.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Last edited by Raften; Oct 01, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
my horizontal stab is getting a bit tired, I was thinking of replacing it with a balsa or depron one, poss. with carbon re-enforcement, has anyone tried this with good results...?
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I think if I jumped out around here and threw up a plane near a train and others saw it the 911 lines would light up.
Yeah, where I live they call 911 if we fly a small park flyer in an empty park early in the morning.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,171 Posts
aurorae
There is still time to move further north. Where I live, people who fly electric planes in parks and schoolyards are still respected. People come up and ask how high it can go and where can you buy one. Next week you show up and some kid is flying a Hobby-King plane and it crashes. When he looks at the Parkzone plane, the difference is obvious.

Kickstart
I haven't heard of anybody doing this with a Radian, but it is a good idea. A guy did it with a Mustang and was happy with the result. If you used balsa a CF reinforcement would probably not be necessary. The stock stabilizer appears to be made out of something that resembles Depron, and that stuff is very brittle. I'd go with the balsa, just because it is stronger, and weight is not an issue. (The Radian is nose-heavy anyway)
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
[QUOTE=scottdearinger;22873296]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptondave View Post

well been flying 2 radians for a year and never had a tear out issue- or an issue with rudder conflict.... just saying it works great- and it is cheap and easy- i do of course change the stock connectors out with dubro's... we all have our methods
I agree with Scott. Moving the elevator horn inboard works great. I have observed no problem with tear-out. The little staple holding the sleeve of the elevator push rod against the fuselage tends to pop out. Almost everyone has had to glue the staple and sleeve back. Moving the elevator horn inboard makes a pop-out less likely.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2010
713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
my horizontal stab is getting a bit tired, I was thinking of replacing it with a balsa or depron one, poss. with carbon re-enforcement, has anyone tried this with good results...?
I did see a post in one of the groups, not necessary an HK site, where someone did replace his stab with balsa and indicated that it worked well. I've often thought if I had to do this that I might laminate a 1/64 ply over the balsa to give it a little more toughness, or maybe a top and bottom 1/64 laminate with some thinner balsa sandwiched in the middle. I'd probably use the same Parkzone carbon strip for stiffening.

Personally, I'd like to see a little bit of an airfoil back there, but no way in heck I'm going to the trouble of reinventing that wheel. It works just fine the way it is.

Have you considered maybe just dropping a few bucks on a replacement stab?

Cliff
cliffkot is offline Find More Posts by cliffkot
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post

that's just because they know you-- lol

no- people around here want to watch- and I have lots of practice and am willing to pay extra for insurance to fly on the edge- We try never to do anything too dangerous- but I am willing to sacrifice a plane for good video- my only fear is dropping a radian into traffic- so I have tried to limit overflying busy streets- all my flights over downtown for example- took place on sunday morning at 7 to 8 am when the streets are empty- the cops in this city know me well and have no issue with our flights-
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:08 AM
UK south
Joined Dec 2007
183 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing the wing joiner with a CF one. Would this one do?

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...md=showreviews

Hyperflight also do ones with an internal diameter of 8.5 and 8.0 mm

They're only 75mm long so may be slightly short?

Have I done my conversion right (from 0.0375, or whatever it is) to 10mm Outside diameter? Not quite right but near enough?

Questions questions questions......

All answers gratefully received,

Steve
mataub is offline Find More Posts by mataub
Last edited by mataub; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
aurorae
... some kid is flying a Hobby-King plane and it crashes. When he looks at the Parkzone plane, the difference is obvious.
Really? Which HK plane are you referring to? I have several in addition to the Radian. Most of them reflect good materials and workmanship and fly nicely.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstart View Post
I intend to do that very soon because mine has cracked and warped. I plan on using Micro-Lite plywood, which consists of a layer of foam between two layers of thin birch ply. The foam core should work nicely with CA hinges.
kaptondave is offline Find More Posts by kaptondave
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
Spool 'er up!
United States, FL, Oxford
Joined Mar 2010
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mataub View Post
I'm thinking of replacing the wing joiner with a CF one. Would this one do?

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...md=showreviews

Hyperflight also do ones with an internal diameter of 8.5 and 8.0 mm

They're only 75mm long so may be slightly short?

Have I done my conversion right (from 0.0375, or whatever it is) to 10mm Outside diameter? Not quite right but near enough?

Questions questions questions......

All answers gratefully received,

Steve
Hey Steve,

Yes, the OD of the Radian spar is 10mm. Also, the 75cm length of the HyperFlight carbon spar will be fine (in fact, you'll have to trim off 50mm to match the stock length ).

What is your reason for wanting to use CF? If you're only looking for increased stiffness, one good option is to simply use a Radian Pro wing spar. Both the length and OD are identical but the spar is substantially stiffer. However, since the Pro spar is still fiberglass and has a thicker wall, it is heavier. For comparison, my Radian and Radian Pro spars weigh 21.5 grams and 41.9 grams, respectively. Don't see a published weight for the HyperFlight spar, but being CF it will most likely be stiffer and a bit lighter than the stock Radian spar.

Personally, I like to use the Pro spar in windy/turbulent conditions or when doing aerobatics. Plane seems to handle the flight stress better plus the added mass may help slightly with penetration into the wind.

Hope this helps,

-Paul
Paul1PA is offline Find More Posts by Paul1PA