HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,960 Posts
Discussion
Cessna 182 Engine Loss on Takeoff, Video

I've had an engine out on landing in an ultralight. One on takeoff is worse for the nerves, not being "flown-in" yet.

Cessna 182 Engine Failure - Crash Landing (4 min 19 sec)
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:05 AM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
2,030 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Here's a link to the video from the actual pilot with his comments (the link above is from someone who snagged the video from ???).
Josh

Cessna 182 airplane emergency engine failure & crash landing 10-23-12 (4 min 19 sec)
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:00 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Joined Sep 2006
8,960 Posts
Said he was a friend of the guy. You know how that goes, ya do something great and everyone's your friend.
Nice clipboard holder. Kept all that stuff on the yoke and shouldn't be a problem in turbulence where it is most needed. I really don't like that stuff there. Leg splints for me, they keep you alert and don't hide any of the panel.

He followed all I have learned about this situation look forwards for a spot, lucky him cleared the trees and got a clearing to set down in. Had he not held some power he may have done a treetop landing. I may have wasted 25% of my mental rescources complaining because the motor quit and the unlucky fact of no room to do a 180 and at least land beside the runway on grass.
Last edited by Chophop; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,402 Posts
Thank God the pilot made it out fine. Lots of heavy breathing, but he kept his head.

If you go to You Tube, you'll be able to read the pilot's comments and the findings of the mechanical malfunction:

NOTE - remove the three dashes (---) before and after the link address. I included these as not to post another posting of the video here.

---http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx7j5qKloRs&list=UUUakQYvJCeYrzBm2JYHeGmA& index=2---

Proof that the engine is there only to keep pilots cool. When they quit, the sweating begins!

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:48 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,334 Posts
Luck for him, there were lots of open fields around the airport. That's not always the case.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:32 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,272 Posts
Only once did I lose power in our Champ. My wife and I were flying over north New Jersey and power just went down to idle rpm's. Carb heat made no difference, fuel was on, mag switch checked, no change in rpm's.

We had just passed Sussex Airport about 3 miles back so made a quick 180 and landed downwind against traffic, but everybody saw us and we were down safe.

Investigation revealed the heat shroud inside the muffler had broken loose and covered the exhaust pipe causing a lot of back pressure. This is what brought the rpm's down.

Left the Champ there and the local mechanic, Bill Schatt, pulled the mufflers, shipped them out for overhaul and we picked the Champ back up 2 weeks later.

It wasn't as scary as imagined since I had been flying sailplanes for over 10 years at that point and was used to 'gliding' flight. Still, it gave me something else to be wary of.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:27 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Joined Sep 2006
8,960 Posts
ELWalsh, The yellow test bar at the top of a video will open the Youtube version.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:04 AM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Well done. Nothing like a good EF to get the blood flowing! Only thing I may have done different is set it down on that taxiway at the 1st sign of engine trouble considering the forested area past the RW. Took time to process, though. So I'm certainly not knocking his performance!
3rdidvet is offline Find More Posts by 3rdidvet
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:51 AM
Howdie Doo Dat ?
Joined Sep 2006
8,960 Posts
The 182 is sort of heavy, I don't think there was enough room left.