SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by Bush Flyer.
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Discussion
From the Beginning to End

This has probably been answered before, and I hope its easy for someone to offer me some advise.
How do to you get a printed plan to a CNC.
I have a CNC which I have cut out parts that I have drawn in Cad . But I now want to build a 100in wing span Lysander. This is a old plan that would have been hand drawn. Every rib is different and the fuselage has many formers with lots of detail . For me to measure each part and draw it out in cad would take longer than just cutting the part out by hand.
Is there a better way to do this or is it back to measuring and drawing it out in Cad.
Or is there a program that I could load the plan after scanning and I could then trace round the parts with cad?

This is my Router cutting parts for my Laser.
Bush Flyer. is offline Find More Posts by Bush Flyer.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by invertmast
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,765 Posts
Scan the plan, import it into your cad program, verify/scale the imported plan ti the correct size, then start drawing out the parts.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:53 AM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
I have tried a few methods. First scan it in. Find a reputable print shop and get it scanned in at full size and tell them you want it at 100% scale.

IF and only IF the plan is very precisely drawn, with very few extra makings (like hatching or shading) then you can use an auto trace function in something like Corel Draw. But, out of all the times I have tried it that has only worked once for me.

So, you will probably have to import it into a drawing program and then trace all the parts you want to cut (I like Corel for this but most CAD programs will work as wel). Yes, this is tedious and time consuming if you want to do it right, eg, like making the notches to an exact size.

Then you have to copy the parts that need it (like making 10 copies of a rib). Then 'nest' them to the size of the balsa sheet you will be cutting, being careful to keep all the parts for one size and type of wood in one sheet.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 21, 2015, 03:29 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
That's great, it sounds better than I thought, I don't have Corel draw but I do have laser-cad, this has a function, Create image outline. Which I will try once I get the plan scanned. And if that doesn't work at least I won't have to measure each part and then draw it out in turbo-cad, or Q-cad. I will be able to trace out the parts I need. Thanks for the advise lads its appreciated.
Last edited by Bush Flyer.; Jul 21, 2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,871 Posts
I usually use CorelDraw to trace. It does fairly well on some drawings. I take its trace into BobCad and drop reference points onto CorelDraw's lines. Then draw my own lines so that they are smooth, and a single line.
Sometimes it does not work out, like in the picture below. As parts are not fully drawn. That model I made into a full 3D drawing, to have a reference on the missing parts. Was lots of work. The most time consuming part was converting the critical dimensions to fit the wood dimensions I can get in the hobby store. I'm still working on that.
I'm not that concerned about the scale of the prints scan, as in CAD I can change the scale.
Ever now and then I think about just posting an unfinished model to see if anyone will finish it.
The 3D model from those ribs. http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...0slice%202.jpg
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Last edited by Roto Rob; Jul 21, 2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by portablevcb
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
16,569 Posts
That is the kind of plan that will give you fits. Not only the stacking of parts, but, pencil drawing. You can't just scale the ribs cause the spar notches don't change size. PITA.

If you need someone to do some cad work try this guy.

alexandrerillos5 aattt msn.com

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jul 23, 2015, 05:56 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8 Posts
Ok so create image outline did not work for me, it left bits missing all over the place, so it's down to tracing all the parts out. I have a question when you magnify the part you want to trace, but being a hand drawn plan the lines are very thick. So do you trace the outline of the part at the very outside of the line or do you trace in the middle of the thick line?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Wazmo
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,604 Posts
It depends, but I usually trace down the middle of the line.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
Old Jul 24, 2015, 12:02 PM
Find More Posts by dpot
France, Auvergne, Lapalisse
Joined Dec 2005
1,086 Posts
i use devcad devfuzcam and deawing cam i have been working on converting all my models to them the booty of the software is you can adjust the wing span cord or tip cord washout move a rib or add a rib and it works it all out for you it will layout all your parts for cnc cutting and giv you a 3d image and a plan with side and top views
it has background image and you can auto trace but i prefer to just calibrate the image and dimension it then set-up a new drawing one for devfuzcam and one for devwingcam just got devwing foam it just make it so easy to adjust ever thing
dpot is offline Find More Posts by dpot
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
781 Posts
I am just getting into the very same thing as I am about to purchase a laser cutter shortly, so thought I might as well get some practice converting paper plans to vector images. After a steep learning curve I can pretty much convert say a paper plan former into a vector PDF in around 5min
I scan the image on my home scanner at 300 x 300 dpi into TIFF format. I then open it in Photoshop and make sure it is in greyscale not bitmap mode so you can fine tune the rotation. I then clean up the image as best as possible removing anything you don't want cut.
Then in illustrator I use the auto trace function. Initially I had terrible results, but once you fine tune the parameters I get a very accurate, clean vector image. Maybe about 1 min of cleaning any small imperfections and typing in text you want engraved on the part. When I get home I will take a screen shot of the parameters of auto trace that I have found would work.

After a bit of practice I think I could do a whole plan in a few evenings.
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by shoey
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jan 2009
781 Posts
Here are the settings i am using for live trace in Adobe Illustrator. They could be tweaked a bit, but so far i am getting excellent vector copies of the plan.
shoey is offline Find More Posts by shoey