SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2015, 02:00 AM
Find More Posts by groovejet
How many planes is too many?
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2007
4,015 Posts
New Product
Future Model 48" full-fuse hybrid Yak 54 EPP - stiff wood frame with EPP skin!

Future Model have designed a 48" Yak 54 scale fuselage hybrid EPP plane. It's the very first 48" scale fuselage hybrid EPP Yak 54 to come to market, and it has a very innovative wing design.

The main wing, ailerons and tail feathers have a wood frame that is skinned in EPP, rather than having an EPS foam core skinned in EPP as used by all of the other current EPP hybrid planes in this class. This means that the Future Model Yak 54 airframe could be much stiffer than other planes in its class, and potentially less durable.

The airframe proportions suggest that this plane will really suit my aggressive flying style .

I am aware of at least two colour schemes; both are shown in the pictures below. Based on the photos, it does seem like Future Model have started to print their planes rather than paint them as done of their previous designs.

I have a black and yellow Yak on the way so that I can try to answer some questions for you guys, such as:
- Does the Yak fly really well?
- Does the Yak's airframe feel stiffer than a typical 48" hybrid EPP plane?
- Can I feel differences in flight that I can attribute to the design?
- Will the Yak survive the typical in-flight torture that I put my planes through?
- Does the black and yellow Yak look at least as good in real-life as it does in the attached pictures?
- Is it true that planes with a round fuselage look super hot when they are rolling?

I'll try to avoid answering questions, such as:
- Does the Yak seem to sustain more damage when crashed? *

* I hate repairing planes, so I try very hard not to crash! If I do manage to crash this plane, I will give a damage assessment and mention the ease of repair.

You can buy the Yak here: http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=484
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Last edited by groovejet; Jun 28, 2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Changed title
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 03:25 AM
Find More Posts by Gian Young
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
Future Model have designed a 48" Yak 54 scale fuselage hybrid EPP plane. It's the very first 48" scale fuselage hybrid EPP Yak 54 to come to market, and it has a very innovative wing design.

The main wing, ailerons and tail feathers have a wood frame that is skinned in EPP, rather than having an EPS foam core skinned in EPP as used by all of the other current EPP hybrid planes in this class. This means that the Future Model Yak 54 airframe could be much stiffer than other planes in its class, and potentially less durable.

The airframe proportions suggest that this plane will really suit my aggressive flying style .

I am aware of at least two colour schemes; both are shown in the pictures below. Based on the photos, it does seem like Future Model have started to print their planes rather than paint them as done of their previous designs.

I have a black and yellow Yak on the way so that I can try to answer some questions for you guys, such as:
- Does the Yak fly really well?
- Does the Yak's airframe feel stiffer than a typical 48" hybrid EPP plane?
- Can I feel differences in flight that I can attribute to the design?
- Will the Yak survive the typical in-flight torture that I put my planes through?
- Does the black and yellow Yak look at least as good in real-life as it does in the attached pictures?
- Is it true that planes with a round fuselage look super hot when they are rolling?

I'll try to avoid answering questions, such as:
- Does the Yak seem to sustain more damage when crashed? *

* I hate repairing planes, so I try very hard not to crash! If I do manage to crash this plane, I will give a damage assessment and mention the ease of repair.
Hi GJ,

Where did these come from I haven't seen them on Max's web site.

Regards
Gian
Gian Young is offline Find More Posts by Gian Young
Old May 09, 2015, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by Lusby
Feeble Weeble Wobble
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2013
227 Posts
I'm pretty interested to hear how it goes. The black and yellow scheme looks nice, and the printing looks OK from the photos, hope it is as vivid as the painted models.

The wooden frame doesn't bother me either, in fact it could be a good idea....I'd like to see a 55" or bigger version and a wooden frame could make going bigger easier (hint hint Future Model )
Lusby is offline Find More Posts by Lusby
Old May 09, 2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Renton, Wa.
Joined Feb 2006
1,885 Posts
Looking forward to hearing what you think about it Groovejet. Would be curious on some weights when you're done also.
stevelmaa is online now Find More Posts by stevelmaa
Old May 09, 2015, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Young View Post
Hi GJ,

Where did these come from I haven't seen them on Max's web site.

Regards
Gian
Hi Gian. It is being shipped directly from Future Model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusby View Post
I'm pretty interested to hear how it goes. The black and yellow scheme looks nice, and the printing looks OK from the photos, hope it is as vivid as the painted models.

The wooden frame doesn't bother me either, in fact it could be a good idea....I'd like to see a 55" or bigger version and a wooden frame could make going bigger easier (hint hint Future Model )
Hi Lusby. The colours do look good. Hopefully it will arrive early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelmaa View Post
Looking forward to hearing what you think about it Groovejet. Would be curious on some weights when you're done also.
Hi Steve. I'll build it with my standard gear, so I'll have a comparable weight to report for this plane. I am currently pondering which of my planes to strip gear out of to use for this Yak..........
Old May 11, 2015, 04:03 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,015 Posts
The Yak arrived today and it looks superb! The colours are very rich and had me wondering if the kit may have been partially or fully painted. I asked the owner of Future Model and he told me that the colours are printed. I am very impressed! This is a printed quality that looks more like the painted look of the other Future Model kits.

I will post some photos later this evening.
Old May 11, 2015, 09:13 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
The Yak arrived today and it looks superb! The colours are very rich and had me wondering if the kit may have been partially or fully painted. I asked the owner of Future Model and he told me that the colours are printed. I am very impressed! This is a printed quality that looks more like the painted look of the other Future Model kits.

I will post some photos later this evening.
It's good news that the reported colours are very rich on this model, I do hope that Future Models can and will maintain that level.
I have been disappointed with the lack of richness of the colours on the last two models I recently purchased from the other manufacturer who also prints their colours and has regrettably let their colour saturation level drop. Reds became pink and Black became gray.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:48 PM
Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,123 Posts
Oh man your killing me here GJ. That is a super sweet looking plane, and I've always had a soft spot for Yak 54. I really need to sell off some of my other planes to make room for more.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old May 12, 2015, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Oh man your killing me here GJ. That is a super sweet looking plane, and I've always had a soft spot for Yak 54. I really need to sell off some of my other planes to make room for more.
Start selling 'em, Les .

I took a couple of photos tonight to show my current state of progress. I am hoping to have it ready to maiden on the weekend.

My current thoughts are that this kit is of a very high quality. The best explanation that I can give is that this is a balsa kit with an EPP foam skin rather than covering film. The leading edges of wings appear to have a foam core that I assume is EPS, but other than that there is no EPS in the airframe at all. This means great things for building quickly using regular CA glue without the worry of eating EPS foam alive . eg. the control surface CA hinges glue into slots in wood, just as they would on a full balsa kit, so I used thin CA for all the the hinging. This saved me a lot of time!

I suspect that this construction method might be the next big step in hybrid EPP plane design!
Old May 12, 2015, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin_JaxFl
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
222 Posts
The color saturation looks good on the plane. Hope they can keep up that quality when it goes into full production.
Kevin_JaxFl is offline Find More Posts by Kevin_JaxFl
Old May 12, 2015, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by oceanway99
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
648 Posts
very nice....like the yellow and black. Not sure what the advantage over a normally covered balsa plane would be however. Won't this be a bit heavier??..Is it more repairable??
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
Old May 12, 2015, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by Lusby
Feeble Weeble Wobble
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Dec 2013
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanway99 View Post
very nice....like the yellow and black. Not sure what the advantage over a normally covered balsa plane would be however. Won't this be a bit heavier??..Is it more repairable??
The weight difference seems to be negligible. The EPP is slightly easier to repair, but more significant is the way EPP covered planes feel much more stable through stalling and post stall moves. There is speculation through the various threads on these hybrid planes that this effect is due to the rough surface of the EPP.
Lusby is offline Find More Posts by Lusby
Old May 13, 2015, 01:57 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusby View Post
The weight difference seems to be negligible. The EPP is slightly easier to repair, but more significant is the way EPP covered planes feel much more stable through stalling and post stall moves. There is speculation through the various threads on these hybrid planes that this effect is due to the rough surface of the EPP.

Yes, yes, yes and yes!

Old May 13, 2015, 02:27 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined May 2011
141 Posts
Also noted, is the wire landing gear, a point of much discussion in the past on models in this category.
Old May 13, 2015, 04:41 AM
Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,123 Posts
Love the wire gear, for me and the rough fields I fly from it's a life saver. I just wish they were a little stiffer but it's no big deal they still do the job.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy