New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2015, 06:24 AM
Find More Posts by rckenny123
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
Build Log
HK MIG29 Composite 68mm edf

So I was at a local swap meet and saw this Hobby King MIG29 EDF. price was a little high but I managed to talk him down at the end of the day to 120 bucks. Included full retracts, nice struts, two fans and motors I wont use... I have been wanting one of these for a while but I wanted to see the jet in person before I picked one up.

Been working on it for a few weeks and the build is coming to an end but I did take build pics along the way. I will say this has not been an easy build due to the lack of pre installed former's and battery tray. I started with the nose wheel and worked my way back. I made sure to spread out the nose wheel mount in the airframe. It is also the battery tray running the length of the nose. The mail wheels were a little more tricky, not much room in the fuse there. I used some plywood stringers and glued them into place along the fuse where the wing will mount, then the back of the lg bracket is glued into the main wing spar.

The wings don't offer much room for the common micro size servos. slim wing servos fit just fine. Wings went on quite easily. I was bummed that there was no rudder control surface. I will use differential throttle for the rudder. The fuse had a nice place to reference the slight rudder angle. I just used a micro size wood clamp and 5 minute epoxy.

The elevators were the most difficult part to do correctly. There was no hardware to mount the elevator or any reference to where center should be. The color manual did show and provide measurements to get close. I used a peace of round aluminum stock turned down and bored out to fit the elevator pin perfectly.

All I have left now is to get two esc's and one more epf hobby mercury alloy 64mm edf and then it will be air worthy. I will be using one Opti Power 4s 5000mah pack.

This is a very nice edf in my opinion. The finish, covering, and manual are awesome. I did like the fact I got to make all the internal structure that way I know its glued right. But that did make the build a lot longer.

Super happy about this plane and cant wait to fly it! Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Kenny
rckenny123 is offline Find More Posts by rckenny123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,557 Posts
Looks like nice glass work.

Good catch...
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Apr 05, 2015, 05:28 AM
Find More Posts by rckenny123
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined Jun 2011
12 Posts
new mig 29

Yeah I was quite surprised at the quality hobby king put into this model. Also the covering was perfect. not one edge or wrinkle on any of the covered surfaces.

I made yet another huge find today. I was out at a flying field ive never been too and met a guy that was really into large edf's and jets. He happened to have a 1/8th size mig 29. I dont remember the manufacturer of this model but its on par with yellow aircraft.

From looking at it in full kit form it will need two 120mm air suckers. I will be using the scorpion 120mm edf motors on 12 or 14s 8000-10000mah packs. This is yet another Builder plane. the wings are still rough sheeting and the fuse is just the shell but you can tell from the pics.

Definitely wont spare any expense on this model. I plan on going with as many scale details as I can. Particle diffusers with spring loaded upper louvers, 90 degree rotating main wheels, after burner led rings, servo driven canopy, FPV camera on the nose in place of the full scale camera, timed gear doors, and anything else I can come up with. I will start a new thread when I get rolling on this build.
rckenny123 is offline Find More Posts by rckenny123