HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:28 PM
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2013
62 Posts
Question
250 vs 350 vs 450 for fun flying and HD videography?

As I consider what project is next my thinking has gone from the TBS discovery, to a 250 mini quad, to a 350ish quad, back to a 450 size, and again back to a 250. I'd appreciate some help and suggestions on what is best for me.

My main goal would be to have something that is fun to fly around as is. No cameras or fancy stuff. I have a Nano QX and have a blast with that, but its size is no match for the winds here in SoCal. I need something with more mass.

Durability is a must. I don't want to fly scared I'll break something if my quad finds the ground. I'm not overly aggressive so I won't be flying 30mpg between trees, but I'm also not that good yet so I could manage to hit the one tree within 300' of me.

I also want to be able to put a GoPro on it and get some nice video of the flights. This would be for the simple fun flights, as well as some scenery video when traveling (Utah, upstate NY, SoCal, Yosemite area, etc). I know the NPS frowns on "drones", so those parks are out.

Call me crazy, but I'd also like to have a gimbal at times. For the video flights, I'd like to be able to hover and tilt the camera to get some nice video of the scenery.

Right now I think a custom 350 size might be best. The TBS discovery is just too big I think, and the 250 too small to carry the ~900g with GoPro and gimbal.
CA_Doug is online now Find More Posts by CA_Doug
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:58 PM
Joined Jul 2014
593 Posts
I would look for a 350 size that's built like a 250 racer. ie, CF, thick arms...
Conradm is online now Find More Posts by Conradm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined Dec 2013
62 Posts
I just saw this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2226370

Looks ideal, but $220...ouch!
CA_Doug is online now Find More Posts by CA_Doug