HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Oct 2013
6 Posts
Help!
How to setup 2 ailerons and 2 flaperons - Futaba 14SG

After years of using Hitec's radios, just now moved to Futaba (14SG).

I have a plane with 2 ailerons on each wing (Each surface has a servo).
I wish to assign a switch as follows:
Position 1: All surfaces act as ailerons, all controlled by right stick.
Position 2: 2 surfaces act as ailerons (controlled by stick) and 2 surfaces act as flapes (not moving with stick, set at ~15% bank).
Position 3: same as pos-2 with different percentage of bank.

All help will be apriciated.
jetplane123 is offline Find More Posts by jetplane123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2013, 01:53 PM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
I am happy to try to help but can you please say whether the Model Type is set to Airplane or Glider. Can you also confirm that each of the four aileron servos is connected to a separate receiver channel (no Y-lead on outer ailerons).
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Oct 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Oct 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
I am happy to try to help but can you please say whether the Model Type is set to Airplane or Glider. Can you also confirm that each of the four aileron servos is connected to a separate receiver channel (no Y-lead on outer ailerons).
Thanks,
I have tried setting it up as Airplane with no success, than tried as Glider (To enable different flight conditions) and still couldn't figure it out.
Each servo goes to a different channel.
Ailerons are 1+5 and flaps 6+7.
Receiver is 70008SB.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
There are several ways of doing this and also two ways of looking at the wing configuration. You can think of it as having four ailerons with the ability to disable the inner pair while using them as flaps (your description). Alternatively you can think of it as having two ailerons and two flaps with the ability to use the flaps as second ailerons unless they are lowered. The factory set mixes on the 14SG make it easier to achieve the latter so, to avoid having to play about with programmable mixes, I suggest you try the following.

Create a new model to avoid losing any programming you have already done. Assuming you wish to use Airplane as the Model Type, set the Wing Type to 2AIL + 2FLP.

Go to the Function Menu and on screen 2/4 change the default LD Flap control to the switch you wish to use for the flaps. Letís call it SG for now.

Go to Flap Set in the Model Menu. Set the two Up values to 0 as we do not want the flaps to rise. Change the two Down values to give the amount of flap travel you require when the flaps are fully lowered. Use +100 for now and adjust later to suit your requirements. If you operate switch SG while checking the servo monitor you will see that both flaps are lowered when the switch is towards you but centred when it is in the other two positions.

To set the intermediate flap position, go to the Dual Rate menu in the Model Menu. Scroll to AIL and change this to FLAP. Change the neutral point (NT) to minus 50. This determines the position of the flaps when the switch is at its mid (neutral) position. Again, you can adjust this to suit your needs later. Check the servo monitor to confirm that the flaps are working as required.

Finally we need to set the flaps to work as ailerons so go to the Aileron to Camberflap mix in the Model Menu. Set all four values to 100%. Change ACT from INH to ACT and assign SG as the switch. This has to be the same switch that you use to operate the flaps. At the ON/OFF screen set the values to ON, OFF, OFF reading from the top. This will activate the aileron to flap mix when the flaps are fully raised but will switch it off when they are lowered.

Check the servo monitor again and all should be working. Hope that helps.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Oct 22, 2013, 04:41 AM
Joined Oct 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
There are several ways of doing this and also two ways of looking at the wing configuration. You can think of it as having four ailerons with the ability to disable the inner pair while using them as flaps (your description). Alternatively you can think of it as having two ailerons and two flaps with the ability to use the flaps as second ailerons unless they are lowered. The factory set mixes on the 14SG make it easier to achieve the latter so, to avoid having to play about with programmable mixes, I suggest you try the following.

Create a new model to avoid losing any programming you have already done. Assuming you wish to use Airplane as the Model Type, set the Wing Type to 2AIL + 2FLP.

Go to the Function Menu and on screen 2/4 change the default LD Flap control to the switch you wish to use for the flaps. Letís call it SG for now.

Go to Flap Set in the Model Menu. Set the two Up values to 0 as we do not want the flaps to rise. Change the two Down values to give the amount of flap travel you require when the flaps are fully lowered. Use +100 for now and adjust later to suit your requirements. If you operate switch SG while checking the servo monitor you will see that both flaps are lowered when the switch is towards you but centred when it is in the other two positions.

To set the intermediate flap position, go to the Dual Rate menu in the Model Menu. Scroll to AIL and change this to FLAP. Change the neutral point (NT) to minus 50. This determines the position of the flaps when the switch is at its mid (neutral) position. Again, you can adjust this to suit your needs later. Check the servo monitor to confirm that the flaps are working as required.

Finally we need to set the flaps to work as ailerons so go to the Aileron to Camberflap mix in the Model Menu. Set all four values to 100%. Change ACT from INH to ACT and assign SG as the switch. This has to be the same switch that you use to operate the flaps. At the ON/OFF screen set the values to ON, OFF, OFF reading from the top. This will activate the aileron to flap mix when the flaps are fully raised but will switch it off when they are lowered.

Check the servo monitor again and all should be working. Hope that helps.
Thanks,
I did manage to do so late last night.
I did set the two inner ailerons as "flaps" and set an aileron to flap mix enabled by the first switch position, on the second switch position I've set hw to flap mix, which basically let me do whatever I want and on the third switch position I enabled the "airbrake" feature.

Now, when I fly I have all surfaces as ailerons, than flaps when approaching to land and finally airbrake when landed.

Maybe I will set the "airbrake" position to crow for better air resistance, don't know yet...

Thanks a lot.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 09:20 PM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
Thanks for the help with the Futaba T14SG

I read your post and it was very useful in helping me set up flaps on Futaba 14SG. This was the best posting yet. I am still learning how to use this radio. I am not sure I have the last part right yet though, the Ali to camber mix. Thanks again. Dr. Major King
pheonix1 is offline Find More Posts by pheonix1
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:35 AM
Joined May 2014
8 Posts
Change ACT from INH to ACT and assign SG as the switch. This has to be the same switch that you use to operate the flaps. At the ON/OFF screen set the values to ON, OFF, OFF reading from the top. This will activate the aileron to flap mix when the flaps are fully raised but will switch it off when they are lowered. This part is not clear to me. Maybe I am reading it wrong. Can you help?
Ucla1998 is offline Find More Posts by Ucla1998
Old Oct 26, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2006
11 Posts
I have a bi-plane and want to program 4 separate channels for the ailerons. I am using the Futaba 14SG and I am not sure on the programming, any help would be appreciated. Thanks mark
mark1950 is offline Find More Posts by mark1950
Old Oct 26, 2014, 08:08 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,434 Posts
There are several ways of doing in. I did my Super Stearman with 2 aileron setup and in FUNCTION assigned AILERON to channels 1 and 5 and AILERON2 to channels 6 and 7. Then I plugged the lower left aileron in channel 1, upper left in 5, lower right in 6 and upper right in 7. I did the end points and subtrim for each aileron channel individualy to get the centering and throws I needed for each aileron.

This is just one way of doing it. As I mentioned there are other ways as the 14SG is very versatile and powerful transmitter.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2014, 03:48 AM
Joined Jan 2006
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
There are several ways of doing in. I did my Super Stearman with 2 aileron setup and in FUNCTION assigned AILERON to channels 1 and 5 and AILERON2 to channels 6 and 7. Then I plugged the lower left aileron in channel 1, upper left in 5, lower right in 6 and upper right in 7. I did the end points and subtrim for each aileron channel individualy to get the centering and throws I needed for each aileron.

This is just one way of doing it. As I mentioned there are other ways as the 14SG is very versatile and powerful transmitter.

Ivan
Thanks, that was very helpful, all posts were very informative, RC Groups rock!
mark1950 is offline Find More Posts by mark1950