HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2014, 01:54 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,207 Posts
Lets not jump the gun here. Ruining batteries is a pretty serious claim. How do you define "ruining". Be specific. Also please post the cell voltages as I had asked previously. Its impossible to properly diagnose what's happening without the facts. There are different settings and approaches that can be employed.

The balancing and accuracy specs on the Powerlab exceed those on the iCharger. Many have reported far better balancing and balancing accuracy moving from the iCharger to the Powerlab. More details about your scenario would be helpful in understanding why you are not getting better results.
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2014, 04:08 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
hi,

the two 1st pics are from pl8. the last one is from a battery checker. the readings are close now but it is because i left this battery on e-station for many hours.

despite the readings being similar, you can see the cells are extremely unbalanced. this batt will not fly, i think.

when i say ''ruining'' i mean that 3 out of my 8 batteries got unusable at the same time. the flight time with them became shorter and shorter. now those batteries show crazy unbalanced readings, like the one i've posted.

the other two batts are now on e-station. i'm trying to save them. i managed to do this with some unfortunate batts in the past.

why i think i have a problem on pl8? because three batts got unusable at the same time and i've been charging them on pl8 for 4-6 months. no crash at all during this time. it never happened before with icharger.

the only possible way to charge at 20-40a is on preset 3?

thanks
Can'tFly is offline Find More Posts by Can'tFly
Old Jan 04, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
hey gregor, it seems i have to change the balance wiring mode to jst on the software. i never did it before. i saw a post from you talking about that. can i have a bad balancing problem because of that? this is the balancing board that i`m using. thanks.
Old Jan 04, 2014, 07:57 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,207 Posts
Calibration between PL8 and the cell checker seem to agree. Yes, that pack is out of balance. But what does it look like when its fully charged? What are the IR values for the packs?

The board you are using requires the FMA wiring mode. Parallel boards like the MPA or others require JST-XH wiring mode.

There is a high power accurate, preset in the charger library. You can import this preset and it may work better in your scenario. This can be done using the software or the from the console of the charger.

Page 36 http://revolectrix.com/support_docs/item_1437.pdf

Charging the packs on the Powerlab8 using preset 1 should provide better balancing results than your Bantam.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:09 PM
Joined Dec 2009
196 Posts
hey gregor,
i'd like to double check i should really use the FMA wiring mode. the balancing board i have seems to be the CP8S-GPKO6S.
thanks.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 02:49 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tFly View Post
hey gregor,
i'd like to double check i should really use the FMA wiring mode. the balancing board i have seems to be the CP8S-GPKO6S.
thanks.
Yes. That is one of the boards that requires FMA wiring mode.
Old Jan 06, 2014, 10:29 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,792 Posts
That board positively absolutely requires FMA wiring mode.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Jan 13, 2014, 02:04 AM
Joined May 2013
1 Posts
Powerlab 8 Over charge

I have the same overcharge problem.

I have filmed my problem and send it to revolectrix to look at and then i send my unit back for repair or change.

Powerlab 8 Over charge (11 min 33 sec)

Until now???

NOTHING.

I buy it from bizgreece.com and return it back to him after the contact i have with revolectrix Singapore, followed the steps that they told me.
I have no news from 15 oct 2013 , the distributor is missing and I lost my time,money and device.

My case is on my lawyer desk now.
nxym is offline Find More Posts by nxym
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:55 AM
Joined Jan 2002
89 Posts
I have been in communication with John Grzan at REVO Singapore over the past few days. John handles all support matters for REVO outside of the U.S. and Canada. I understand that he is working directly with you now. According to John, bizgreece had indicated initially that you had been satisfied. Attempts by John to contact bizgreece in the past few days have been unsuccessful.

Regards,
Jamie Marks
GM, REVO USA
Jamie Marks is offline Find More Posts by Jamie Marks
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:39 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
PL 8 will not charge NiCd or NiMh packs

..... user error.. Sorry.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:57 PM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
476 Posts
I have this unbalanced problem when i mix much older battery and the new one or almost new. Sometimes when fully charged it can go as high as 4.28v. Now i marked how old and how many times i cycles the pack and match them, make sure parallel charge pack with more or less equal age and cycles. Sometimes a dirty balance connector also a factor.
rizky_p is offline Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Jun 01, 2014, 09:20 AM
Unregistered User
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
This thread indicates a problem with RTFM.
vimy g eaou is offline Find More Posts by vimy g eaou
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:12 PM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
Well after about 5 months of ownership my PL6 no longer balances in parallel! It worked so well until about a week ago, no matter what batteries I throw at it, it will not balance in parallel! Very frustrating to have this problem with such a top charger. I am using the FMA expensive balance board. The scary part is that it will actually overcharge one cell beyond 4.2 volts! Not good.

Where do I send it for repair? Purchased from ProgressiveRC about 5 months ago.

Thanks.

Paul.
pwilk20 is offline Find More Posts by pwilk20
Old Aug 24, 2014, 08:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
82 Posts
Also noticed that if I check a pack before it goes to be charged and let`s say I get 3.80, 3.82, 3.79, 3.80 if I plug it into my PL6 it will show ALL cells equal! 3.812, 3.812, 3.812, 3.812 which is impossible since the pack was checked prior to being put on the PL6 with two different battery checkers.

Paul.
pwilk20 is offline Find More Posts by pwilk20
Old Aug 24, 2014, 09:34 PM
BVH
United States, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Dec 2006
262 Posts
I would think you'd simply give ProgressiveRC a hollar.
BVH is offline Find More Posts by BVH