HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:22 PM
Australia, QLD, Deagon
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
Discussion
Helium in short supply

This and another report I can't find again (saying helium might be restricted to research and industrial use) is a worry...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...6fauZB8ogSsGHQ

thoughts?
omnivorr is offline Find More Posts by omnivorr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:05 PM
Marcus Franco
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Jul 2004
2,887 Posts
Lets use Hydrogen instead....
Guga is offline Find More Posts by Guga
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:24 AM
Australia, QLD, Deagon
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guga View Post
hehe... and a micro fusion reactor to power it, making helium as a byproduct too
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:48 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Helium

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivorr View Post
This and another report I can't find again (saying helium might be restricted to research and industrial use) is a worry...

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...6fauZB8ogSsGHQ

thoughts?
Are you kidding me? Every party store in town fills hundreds of party balloons a day with no worry.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Deagon
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
Yeah, that's why I asked. I read a news report saying it would be restricted in future.. so later in an idle moment I Googled to see what else might corroborate that story..

It seems tho' that it's something that comes up every few years like "doomsday" stories do.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:38 PM
rc blimp manufacturer
Switzerland, VD, Crans-près-Céligny
Joined Dec 2005
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guga View Post
or hot air!
powerblimp is offline Find More Posts by powerblimp
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2009
32 Posts
Seems to be a reality for me. I can't get helium anywhere. I'm located in northern Wisconsin and every party supply store within a 100 miles or so won't(says they can't or can't get any) sell any/rent a tank out. A lot don't even have a tank for themselves, but they'll sell you a tiny disposable tank for the low low price of $50 I've also contacted welding supply stores and I can't get any from them either. Can you really get some if it's for research? I think my project would qualify, but I'm not sure who to contact.
broken flyer is online now Find More Posts by broken flyer
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
Helium should be restricted from party balloons, as that is a huge waste of an irreplaceable natural resource that is running out. Using mass quantities of a scientifically valuable noble gas that can not be produced by any means on party favors is foolish, especially when hydrogen (which CAN be produced) does the job just fine. A cubic foot of hydrogen in a rubber balloon wouldn't do squat if it caught fire. I've lit plenty of them and all you get is a poof with a brief low temperature fireball. The reason hydrogen isn't used for welding is because it can't even produce a high enough temperature when it burns. The world needs to get over it's unfounded Hindenburg phobia of hydrogen and stop wasting valuable helium on party balloons.
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerblimp View Post
or hot air!
Trust me, you don't want to go there. Gas blimps outperform hot air blimps by an order of magnitude. Hot air blimps are extremely difficult to fly, very expensive to make, have a lot more mass and are thus very sluggish to maneuver, must be excessively large, flight duration is very short before fuel runs out and indoor use would be a big fire hazard. Hydrogen is the answer for unmanned RC blimps, at least until we can finally get fusion reactors working and produce our own helium. The problem is finding the hydrogen though, since it doesn't have any common commercial use. It is pretty easy to make your own, but it is difficult to keep it from getting tainted with oxygen in the process, which is what makes it explosive. If it becomes the replacement for helium in party balloons then it would become widely available, and it would cost a lot less than the helium.
pyronaught is offline Find More Posts by pyronaught
Last edited by pyronaught; Jan 05, 2013 at 02:04 PM.