HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2003, 09:12 PM
Just fly the darn wing!!!
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Yippee!
Which Flying Wing is........ :D .... the easiest to build?

I knew everyone expected another "whats the best flying wing thread?"....

Not so.

I'd like to know from people with previous experience in building several wings (EPP only), which one was the easiest to build?

Which one had precut servos holes?

Was the battery slot precut?

Did the parts fit together or was adjustment necessary?

Were the elevons sanded in a 45 degree angle or did you have to do it?

Those are the things i look for. Which one seems the easiest to build and why?

Was it edgerc or wingwarrior or unicorn or combatwing or windrider or zagi or maybe a slinger? Or even some wing not so popular?

Share your experience!

PS: i really don't want to know (well, i do, but it's not the meaning of this thread) which one flies best, which one is the fastest etc. I really only want to know about EASE of building.
ScYcS is offline Find More Posts by ScYcS
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2003, 10:37 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
commercially available, WW has to be the best. It was my first wing (raider) and I built it in 4 hrs.
The holes aren't cut, but the servo holes are pre marked. Battery placement is left up to the builder to help balance without weights.
Parts fit great, though the elevons were not pre sanded to 45.

Even easier is the "Swift" by a guy in LA. His idea of a "kit" is wings glued together, spar in place, holes cut for RX, batts and servos. You tell him what equipment and he has templates to balace without additional weight.

His name is John, and you can get his info at www.rbbreezers.com

hope this helps,
jim
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Dec 04, 2003, 11:27 PM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
Combatwings XE2...servo holes premarked...battery slot already cut out...spar hole cut out...balsa elevons easily angled...everything fit together very well...durable as all heck too...drilled mine into everything...still flyin like a champ. Check out their crash test videos and you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Dec 05, 2003, 05:23 AM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
EdgeRC. Elevons sanded! Battery bay cut or left uncut. Flexible, can be built different ways with different motors and electronics.
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Dec 05, 2003, 06:57 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Keep it coming guys!

I'm asking because someone in my family is looking into getting his first wing. I recommended something easy to build (he insists of doing it himself) and relatively easy to fly. Thinking about a eRaider or Overlord but i'm up for suggestions.

I own the Ele-Bee and it was all precut and sanded, but he doesn't like the canopy very much (who does like canopies?), so I'm looking for something comparably easy to build as a first timer plane (without canopy).
Old Dec 05, 2003, 07:58 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
I know this isn't fair, BUT.... the Stealth Sport is merely a piece of flat fanfold with a motor and a fin stuck on ....How easy do you want????
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:02 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
lol gpw. I do understand that you could build something like that, but he was more looking into a commercial kit. He saw me flying the bee and even though i'm just a beginner pilot, he liked what he saw and once he tried it (hey!!!! it's epp, let him crash it!), he was hooked. What he really didn't like was the canopy since mine is already pretty beat up from my own crashes and he thought that it's a very weak point and i tend to agree.....

Still up to suggestions for him. Overlord or eRaider are my choices so far, whereas Overlord is a whoopie $40 cheaper and i don't see much of a difference between the two...Really, the main attribute we're looking for is the building process since he has no experience with building whatsoever and i know it can be a frustatrating task. I'd help him, but he lives too far away from me to be with him the whole time and he seems to be eager to build one himself anyway.....

PS: from reading the forums here i get the impression that the XE2 seems like a good plane but might have a battery smash problem?!
Last edited by ScYcS; Dec 05, 2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 08:36 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
ScYcS....yeah !!! Some epp wing seems to be the thing he's lookin' for....with the cut outs done and the brain work already figured out .... Sorry , that's out of my territory!!!! CU!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:02 AM
Castle Tech
Olathe, KS
Joined Aug 2003
4,889 Posts
As long as you add the strapping tape to the front as recommended, the battery tray problem is non existent...those who have had the problem probably didnt put enough tape on...I knew I'd be flying combat with mine so I added a few strips more than recommended...have hit lightpoles, trees, the ground, everything HEAD-ON...nada...very easy to build, was the 2nd plane I ever put together...the first plane required VERY little construction so the XE2 was basically my first built plane...found it so easy and durable I own another now...and no i dont work for them...I WISH...lol Even trust mine with my $140 lipolys (but had to make mods to fit em 3s2p TP2100's). A little foam cushioning and presto...speed demon. OF course if you crash the lipos still take em out to ensure they dont explode on ya. Whichever wing you choose sure it will do great...no canopies though...never liked em...break all too easy...why I went with XE2. Good luck buddy

Joe
Joe Ford is offline Find More Posts by Joe Ford
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:29 AM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,206 Posts
Out of all the wing I have ( 2-MSW, TwinSW, SpeedWing 400, Unicorn, Zagnut, Fixx, U-bat, and a few foamies I built myself.
The one that was the easiest to build was the FIXX

Glue 2 half together with a motor stick in between, drop your servos in precut holes, install pushrods, put on some tape.

I know the FIXX is not as hardy as some of these other planes,
but I love mine and I have always been able to fix it after a hard crash.
Larry
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:35 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
easiest to build? buy a prebuilt one on ebay! you'll pay alot more though. The new Zagi XS has precuts for the servos, spars and tray.
newracer is offline Find More Posts by newracer
Old Dec 05, 2003, 10:36 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
Thanks SPFD, those are the things i have to look for. I know he can do SOME building, but i'm not sure if he had to cut out a battery bay for example, he would probably mess up the wing with it....and i don't want him to spend money on a wing and he will not fly it in first place....

the first experience is often the one that makes you keep or drop the hobby.

Newracer, he looked into that but it was simply too much money for a RTF.

He has radio gear already, as well as a receiver and some servos. He bought a Neon complete radio kit.
Last edited by ScYcS; Dec 05, 2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:03 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
some people don't burry the battery in the wings, most of the Mini SpeedWings just mount the battery on the top or bottom of the wing with velcro for example.

Most of the kits provide very good instuctions that make building very easy, even for new hobbiest. I had no problem building my Zagi when I got it.
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:11 AM
Germany, NRW, Herford
Joined Oct 2003
2,210 Posts
The new Zagi 5C looks interesting. Might be worth a look. I seems like it is what he could be looking for, althought again, it has a canopy.... <sigh>
Old Dec 05, 2003, 11:17 AM
Addicted to R/C
Fort Collins, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
630 Posts
Do you mean the XS? The 5C is a glider (no motor). The new XS canopy is back from the LE which should make it more durable. I went through about 4 canopies learning to fly my 400x and now have removed the canopy, installed a Devastator motor mount, and burried the rest into the wing. The XS does have everything die cut to speed up assembly too.