Closed Thread
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Ok, I got my 9116 today. Unfortunately, when I I try to lift off the motor runs for 1 second and shuts down. If I turn the elevator stick all the way down then up again the motors will again run for 1 second and cut out. Anyone experience this before. I was looking foward to flying this thing and now it looks like I'll have to send it back.
Too sensitive MOPS.
Bridge it with a blob of solder on the PCB
Instructions you'll find in this thread.
Edit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3138
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3137
-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Oct 01, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I got my 9116 today. Unfortunately, when I I try to lift off the motor runs for 1 second and shuts down. If I turn the elevator stick all the way down then up again the motors will again run for 1 second and cut out. Anyone experience this before. I was looking foward to flying this thing and now it looks like I'll have to send it back.
I had the exact same problem with my second one. I asked for a replacement PCB from BG - doesn't look like they're going to send it. I soldered the bridge as mentioned on RCGroups and it flies fine now.

My Question
What kind of range do other folks get with their DH9116? I seem to have about a 10-15m maximum range on my orange 9116. I get a much longer range out of all my other outdoor helis (V911, V929, V939, MJX F45). I've had the F45 more than a block away from me and had no trouble maintaining full control. I'll have to compare to my blue 9116 which just returned to duty last night after replacing the blades.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:11 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
Too sensitive MOPS.
Bridge it with a blob of solder on the PCB
Instructions you'll find in this thread.
Edit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3138
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3137
-mike-
Awesome!! Thanks for the quick response and the links. Just need to trim it out now.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,511 Posts
9116 range

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I had the exact same problem with my second one. I asked for a replacement PCB from BG - doesn't look like they're going to send it. I soldered the bridge as mentioned on RCGroups and it flies fine now.

My Question
What kind of range do other folks get with their DH9116? I seem to have about a 10-15m maximum range on my orange 9116. I get a much longer range out of all my other outdoor helis (V911, V929, V939, MJX F45). I've had the F45 more than a block away from me and had no trouble maintaining full control. I'll have to compare to my blue 9116 which just returned to duty last night after replacing the blades.
I've had both of mine out past 100 yards and still in control. The limiting factor on my 9116's range is trying to see the orientation. I'm wondering if your TX antennae isn't making contact: something is wrong if you're only getting 15 meters range.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:26 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
I've had both of mine out past 100 yards and still in control. The limiting factor on my 9116's range is trying to see the orientation. I'm wondering if your TX antennae isn't making contact: something is wrong if you're only getting 15 meters range.
I tried it with 2 different TX. I have a feeling it's just happening with my orange 9116. I don't remember ever losing control of my blue one. I'm only flying V929's today due to the 40km winds so I won't be able to confirm until the weather is good for flying.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:07 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Well, I have two full flights on it. Kept it limited in my yard under the spots just trimming it out, but I did venture out into the dark sky with it. Blinking light is nice for orientation. And nice FFF. Doesn't seem to bank very well but it has decent rudder response.

The tx works well with my v911s also. Only takes 5 sec to change the settings.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:36 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Also, did anyone come up with a mod for a quick battery change? Or at least a bigger/longer lasting replacement battery?

I know it may be buried in this thread somewhere but I couldn't read through it all.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:13 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,438 Posts
Quote:
Also, did anyone come up with a mod for a quick battery change? Or at least a bigger/longer lasting replacement battery?

I know it may be buried in this thread somewhere but I couldn't read through it all.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
There's a button called "Search this thread" - and if you enter "replacement battery" you'll get really fast where you want to go
But I don't want to sound rude without helping:
You can use any 800-900mAH 2S LiPo that measures around 56mm x 30mm x 16mm and weighs 45-50 grams without changing much - set aside a little levelling of the swash. The heavier you take the batts and the more Ah's they offer, the more you are stressing the motors (they heat up very quick and burn out sooner).
And be careful - if you've done the mops-bypass theres nothing that can save you of burning a stalled motor. All eight 9116 under my custody fly with the mops shorted and a 800mAh 30C batt inside without any problems for 2 months now. (not counting occasional wear and tear or crash replacements)
Many use a 900 mAh batt with no probs, too.
You should consider buying a decent charger for the LiPos too, the stock charger isn't really made for it - but would do for a short time without damaging the LiPos too much.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:56 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefromgermany View Post
There's a button called "Search this thread" - and if you enter "replacement battery" you'll get really fast where you want to go
But I don't want to sound rude without helping: .........
-mike-
Actually that was quite helpful. Didn't even notice the "search this thread" button. I had been using the search at the top of the page which searches the whole forum.

So I see lots of posts on battery options, I ordered a stock replacement battery when I ordered the 9116. What I'm wondering is if anyone came up with a mod to make it easier to swap batteries. I found one person who was using velcro to mount them on the outside of the canopy. That's convenient but I don't think it'll look too good. I want to figure out a way to do a swap in the field with out using any tools. I thought maybe someone else would have already done it so I don't have to think too hard....
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:20 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,511 Posts
Battery tray mod

Quote:
Actually that was quite helpful. Didn't even notice the "search this thread" button. I had been using the search at the top of the page which searches the whole forum.

So I see lots of posts on battery options, I ordered a stock replacement battery when I ordered the 9116. What I'm wondering is if anyone came up with a mod to make it easier to swap batteries. I found one person who was using velcro to mount them on the outside of the canopy. That's convenient but I don't think it'll look too good. I want to figure out a way to do a swap in the field with out using any tools. I thought maybe someone else would have already done it so I don't have to think too hard....
On my 9116s I extended the existing battery tray by using four screws to attach a thin piece of plastic the width of a battery to the top of it. I loosened the battery bracket so the battery is a snug sliding fit and then put an elastic band around the new tray to additionally hold the battery. Also, I don't use the screw to hold the canopy on and I slightly enlarged the canopy post holes to make it easier to take off. Works well for me.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa flyer View Post
On my 9116s I extended the existing battery tray by using four screws to attach a thin piece of plastic the width of a battery to the top of it. I loosened the battery bracket so the battery is a snug sliding fit and then put an elastic band around the new tray to additionally hold the battery. Also, I don't use the screw to hold the canopy on and I slightly enlarged the canopy post holes to make it easier to take off. Works well for me.
Thanks. I was thinking of losing the screw for the canopy and using some velcro in it's place. I'll have a chance to take a better look at it today since this morning I hit a tree branch and it dropped from about 40 feet. Bent the tail shaft and flybar. This thing has pretty good FFF but it handles like sht. Sluggish to respond, kinda feels like I'm driving a big truck. I think I'll get a cam and use this bird for aerial photos. What battery are you using?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,438 Posts
Quote:
This thing has pretty good FFF but it handles like sht. Sluggish to respond, kinda feels like I'm driving a big truck. I think I'll get a cam and use this bird for aerial photos. What battery are you using?
Yes, the 9116 is underpowered and the 45-flybar construction makes it even worse. So it really handles like a truck.
The 9116 isn't really the right toy to do some aerial footage - small payload cap wouldn't lift anything much heavier than a keychain cam and then there remains the vibration issue.
Best to use this bird for some easy funflying and not more.
-mike-
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:14 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
492 Posts
Pretty durable though considering the weight. It took quite a fall today and other than a busted canopy all I had to replace was the flybar.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,511 Posts
Durable : and submersible!

[QUOTE=Budasac;22894344]Pretty durable though considering the weight. It took quite a fall today and other than a busted canopy all I had to replace was the flybar. They're unbelievably durable. I did the MOPS modification after mine cut the power from probably 100" high and it did a nose-dive. All that was damaged was the tail boom, canopy and the canopy attachment struts. One day, in a hurry to get back to flying after a crash, I neglected to make sure that the dog-bones to the rotor blades were in the guides on the inner shaft. It was uncontrollable and wound up submerged in a stream for probably a good 7 to 10 minutes. I figured the pcb would be fried, especially when the tail rotor started spinning with the switch off. But I blew it off good with my air compressor and warmed it with a hair dryer and it was as good as new! Also, I'm using 900mah batteries.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:03 AM
Dirk
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
Hi Budasac
I had similar problem but it was only present if I smoothly increase throttle from zero. Try bumping your trottle up quickly to around 30-40%. That reduces the initial startup current that causes the MOPS to cut power to the motor. This is worth giving a try before disabling the MOPS.

I also found that the problem reduced over time as the motor got run in.
501419 is offline Find More Posts by 501419
Closed Thread