HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:06 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_hillis View Post
I ain't gonna ask how to trash a 777, but I'm sure I've got more than 7 ways to crash a super cub, let's see here...

1. Day one, June 21, 2010 - take plane out of town. Apply full throttle launch - pull back LOOOOP into slough (aka pond) run out and retrieve. NB. That would the SC 1st successful water landing. Not successful you say? Read #2 and remember any landing you can walk away from is successful!
2. Day one, apply full throttle, launch make circle DIVE into ground watch explosion of plastic cowl pieces.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 as necessary until I realize that I really need to get a sim, SOON!
4. Master sim, get permission to mow grass @ RC airfield and fly plane @ newly re-opened club field. North side of runway bordered by bovine protection device. Fly into bovine protection device, not once but 2x in one day. Realize that eyes ain't nearly as good as I think they are! Plane still flies, fuselage only bent "a little".
5. Thinking I've mastered the monster, famed local RC guy happens to "catch me" at reopened airfield. In my nervousness I completely forget what I've learned. Super Cub kamikaze's power pole on other side of water reservoir. 1st words out locally famous RC guy... looks like we have to go get your plane. Planes only 300 yds away but it's a 1 mile drive to get it back. He's jovial 'cause he's found a new flying buddy! Me, not so much. Miraculously, power pole landing is "successful" and we make one more flight that evening!
6. Getting practiced up on touch & goes, take plane to friends acreage to show off. Decide to practice touch & goes on awesome super long & straight runway in front of house. Make approach, miss runway, hit throttle to abort and the SC has "so much power" it turns right and flies in bush beside house. 1st successful tree landing.
7. Buy floats, replace receiver after the smoke mysteriously escapes while super cub doing the back stroke.

Well okay, 7 it is...
This can be fun, each of us adding to this list of screwed up ways to kill a cub.

8. mid air collison with a multiplex
9. slam into a billboard at 60mph
10.install gws floats, watch as plane does great imitation of submarine doing crash dive
11.Let tx battery die, watch helplessly as plane fly's off to god knows where
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:33 AM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
---
LaneVT is offline Find More Posts by LaneVT
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naval Warfare View Post
This can be fun, each of us adding to this list of screwed up ways to kill a cub.

8. mid air collison with a multiplex
9. slam into a billboard at 60mph
10.install gws floats, watch as plane does great imitation of submarine doing crash dive
11.Let tx battery die, watch helplessly as plane fly's off to god knows where
12. Take SC out for "taxi test only" after decade long absence from RC flying, have plane leap off tarmac into branches of tree, pirouette 180 degrees and slam nose cone first into pavement shattering cowl, motor mount and busting chunk out of wing tip.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:37 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
12. Take SC out for a "taxi test only" after a decade long absence from RC flying, have plane leap off tarmac into branches of a tree, pirouette 180 degrees and slam nose cone first into pavement shattering cowl, motor mount and busting chunk out of wing tip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneVT View Post
12. Take SC out for "taxi test only" after decade long absence from RC flying, have plane leap off tarmac into branches of tree, pirouette 180 degrees and slam nose cone first into pavement shattering cowl, motor mount and busting chunk out of wing tip.

Wow! You did that twice?
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Jan 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
Newbury, VT
Joined Aug 2010
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Wow! You did that twice?
Ron
Opps...laptop "taxi test only"!
Last edited by LaneVT; Jan 13, 2011 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Thought of something dumber to say.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Pushin' the Limits
Bellingham,WA.
Joined Jan 2008
2,849 Posts
Has anyone here tried any of the New Turnigy Trust ESC's? Nav...??? Didn't you get one? I posted a question on it elsewhere and got no hits. I also did a search and couldn't find any threads/posts on it. Maybe it's still to new??
Olias is offline Find More Posts by Olias
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:07 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined May 2008
1,989 Posts
13. Fly VERY slowly downwind and then turn.... I must be one of the few people who have stalled the SC !!

14. Fly overhead and try to fly arching over backwards = lawn dart... even made ME laugh that one - so stupid !! I swear my feet were cemented to the ground.
Toppers is offline Find More Posts by Toppers
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuffDaddy View Post
and this is still my favorite picture of him!
Ah, if I'd only known, I'da just said, 'smoke on, mate; can't do no harm!"

Consistently, Gene(.250000000000000) and Nav(el) have kept it fun here!

And, "yeah, I'm from CO, but I'm (French) Canadian pour le DNA"

Fil de Jacque
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
I ain't gonna ask how to trash a 777, but I'm sure I've got more than 7 ways to crash a super cub, let's see here...

1. Day one, June 21, 2010 - take plane out of town. Apply full throttle launch - pull back LOOOOP into slough (aka pond) run out and retrieve. NB. That would the SC 1st successful water landing. Not successful you say? Read #2 and remember any landing you can walk away from is successful!
2. Day one, apply full throttle, launch make circle DIVE into ground watch explosion of plastic cowl pieces.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 as necessary until I realize that I really need to get a sim, SOON!
4. Master sim, get permission to mow grass @ RC airfield and fly plane @ newly re-opened club field. North side of runway bordered by bovine protection device. Fly into bovine protection device, not once but 2x in one day. Realize that eyes ain't nearly as good as I think they are! Plane still flies, fuselage only bent "a little".
5. Thinking I've mastered the monster, famed local RC guy happens to "catch me" at reopened airfield. In my nervousness I completely forget what I've learned. Super Cub kamikaze's power pole on other side of water reservoir. 1st words out locally famous RC guy... looks like we have to go get your plane. Planes only 300 yds away but it's a 1 mile drive to get it back. He's jovial 'cause he's found a new flying buddy! Me, not so much. Miraculously, power pole landing is "successful" and we make one more flight that evening!
6. Getting practiced up on touch & goes, take plane to friends acreage to show off. Decide to practice touch & goes on awesome super long & straight runway in front of house. Make approach, miss runway, hit throttle to abort and the SC has "so much power" it turns right and flies in bush beside house. 1st successful tree landing.
7. Buy floats, replace receiver after the smoke mysteriously escapes while super cub doing the back stroke.

Well okay, 7 it is...
LMAO!!!
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Jan 13, 2011, 01:53 PM
Airspeed, altitude, and brains
Wolverine MI Northern Lower Peninsula
Joined Feb 2009
439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon View Post
There's no "dumb" questions.
Only, dumb answers
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

-Craig-
flightphotog is offline Find More Posts by flightphotog
Old Jan 13, 2011, 02:07 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
15. once you figure out that you can hover your Super Duper Cub with park480 in it, hover it right over your head and as it drifts over you, turn just in time to find out that the wind is going to blow it over the top of a tree. Then safely lower it down into the top of the tree (70ft) because you can't see it anymore and break it to pieces when you shake it down with 50ft of pvc pipe while standing at the top of a 20ft ladder.

16. Sneak out of the house real quick while the wife and kids aren't looking so you can run down to the field and get one quick flight in. BUT, on your way out of the work room forget to turn your SC so it will fit out the door and rip your wing off and break your tail as you are trying to catch your wing.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn
Old Jan 13, 2011, 03:09 PM
FAA - Foam Abusers Anonymous
USA, MN, Blaine
Joined May 2008
251 Posts
Quote:
...remember any landing you can walk away from is successful!
I've heard a little different version...
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one,
Any landing that you can use the airplane again afterwords is a GREAT one...
dazed&confuzed is offline Find More Posts by dazed&confuzed
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,145 Posts
17. Add lights to your SC's wing not knowing that messed up the airfoil by putting some on the leading edge. Launch uncontrolable lawn-dart.
18. Take SC up to the Mtns to get some cool aerial footage. Don't realize that the camera that the SC comfortably carries at 100' asl is now too heavy at 8000' asl. Launch uncontrolable lawn dart....
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Jan 13, 2011, 05:42 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaksno View Post
Ah, if I'd only known, I'da just said, 'smoke on, mate; can't do no harm!"

Consistently, Gene(.250000000000000) and Nav(el) have kept it fun here!

And, "yeah, I'm from CO, but I'm (French) Canadian pour le DNA"

Fil de Jacque
So are you sayin quittin the smoke , wont help me complexion?
Seriously??
Day 12 and I'd trade one a Gene-o's gonads for a marlballer.
His wife, would trade them for even less
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Jan 13, 2011, 06:00 PM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
19. (addition to mountain flying in #18) While taking beautiful aerial photos of Lake Dillon, CO... fly early in the morning right outside of your condo and make sure that your van is the only vehicle in the parking lot so you have plenty of room to land eventhough you land in a space width of a sidewalk back at home. Then while flying you notice that it takes a little more throttle to keep it in the air because of the altitude (#18) but you are confident that on landing you will still be able to glide in with zero throttle just like you do at home. So, go ahead and fly right over the top of the one vehicle in the lot (your van) and make sure that you tipstall just as you come up to the van then slam right into the side of your van breaking your Super Cub clean off at both the tail and firewall. Also, put a large dent in the sliding door of your van. Don't forget to get the sweet pictures off of your camera.
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn