HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:47 PM
I need a bigger garage...
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
Question
Outrunner for EDF

For the most part, people seem to use inrunners for EDF. I have seen some outrunners appropriate for using in EDF applications though. Is there any benefit of one over the other? Are the considerations (kv, amp draw, watts, etc) the same for both? Are there mounts available for outrunners that would hang the motor out in the airflow instead of burying it inside the center of the fan?

Thanks,

Andy
ajreynolds is offline Find More Posts by ajreynolds
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:15 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Andy... you want to KEEP this out of the air flow... at least as much as possible. Inrunners seem to be the easiest on EDF's since they offer higher KV. On EDF's KV is very important along with max amps. On a prop you can easily change props if you pull to many or to little amps to improve thrust. On a EDF its a larger and more expensive process of changing fans or motors and ESC or all of them to improve performance.

Most use inrunners cause you have a larger selection of motors that will work in the fan your using... thus allowing great control over performance.

Key things to remember:

1) what size lipo are you running (IE 3s or 4s)
2) Maximizing your motor KV and amps to match your lipo
3) using a good fan housing and rotor (some suck and will pull amps and produce little thrust.... other produce mad thrust and pull less amps)
4) get a ESC that will support 10 more amps then you motor... since you will more then likely run WOT the entire flight...speeds addictive.
5) ensure your lipo has a C rating larger then you need...so your volts stay higher or your RPMS will drop and the thrust will disappear.
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:45 PM
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Sep 2003
1,134 Posts
First, outrunner can and are used. Little Screamers and Dons RC wicked series are used in smaller fans. Byrojet fans are being powered by large Hacker outrunners.

It's the matching the motor to the fan that's important. Not if it's an inrunner or an outrunner.

John
jonnyjetprop is offline Find More Posts by jonnyjetprop
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
FREE Gene!!! Get Banned!!!
Joined Jun 2005
1,679 Posts
Let's put it this way: Most applications are better served with an inrunner and a few applications such as smaller 60-65mm fans have specialty outrunners, like the JetScreamer, purpose designed.

In a nutshell the outrunner (because of the high pole count) is harder for most ESC's to deal with at the higher RPM's than a typical inrunner with 2 to 6 poles. The other factor is in MOST cases an inrunner has a small bit better % efficiency, which in EDF can mean quite a lot.

For the very specific case of the Byron/Hacker the original fan was an approximately 19,500RPM gas design and this RPM adapts well to an outrunner.

A lot of the high performance 69mm EDF's are in the 45-50,000RPM+ range, 90mm's in the upper 30's to mid 40'000RPM and 120mm's anywhere from 25-35,000RPM.
Inrunners just deal with those RPM's more easily.
-Mike
Speed is Life is offline Find More Posts by Speed is Life
Last edited by Speed is Life; Jan 15, 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:12 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
Thanks for the responses everybody. I'm learning more every day.

Andy
Old Jan 15, 2008, 10:53 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,242 Posts
But rest assured, we are working very hard on it for larger EDF's as well I will have an outrunner in a WM400 70mm fan in an HET F-104 that should get close to 160 mph at AEF in the next weekend.
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:14 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
I will have an outrunner in a WM400 70mm fan in an HET F-104 that should get close to 160 mph at AEF in the next weekend.
details?
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:23 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,242 Posts
Here's a couple pic's of the motor next to our Jet Screamer and also one mounted in the WM400 fan. The WM400 fan is unique because the motor is in front and the rotor is in the rear. We have made a new adapter for it to fit in all the fans we have been able to find. We concentratedon the 6904 and WM400as they seem to be the ones most like to use.

This is not a sales pitch,but just a reply to the thread starter's question. We have a thread going about it already.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:29 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,242 Posts
And yes it will run 90mm fans easily as well. It has been tested to 1400 watts with very little heat. I ran the 6904 fan on 57 amps on 6S at 54,000 rpm's
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:29 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,583 Posts
I have a 6904 I am trying to come up with a good power system for, that I am going to put in my Twister.

The new motor looks great and I know you guys will have a grat product when the R and D is complete.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Vaterra Ford Raptor with AVC
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:10 AM
hole digger
USA, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2002
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Here's a couple pic's of the motor next to our Jet Screamer and also one mounted in the WM400 fan. The WM400 fan is unique because the motor is in front and the rotor is in the rear. We have made a new adapter for it to fit in all the fans we have been able to find. We concentratedon the 6904 and WM400as they seem to be the ones most like to use.

This is not a sales pitch,but just a reply to the thread starter's question. We have a thread going about it already.

That's just a pretty sight.
hole digger is online now Find More Posts by hole digger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2008, 12:24 AM
Joined Aug 2007
951 Posts
The isolator ring on the adapter is a plus.
Turn n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Turn n Burn
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:18 AM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
1,292 Posts
A bit off topic, but it's my thread, so I'll ask anyway...

RVincent, I know I've read that you had all of the different Haoye fans from Sonic Electric. I'm figuring out what I'm going to put in a GWS A-4 with a Haoye 3" fan (my first EDF, thus all the questions I've been asking). What motors have you found that will drive this well, on either 3S or 4S? I don't need blazing speed, just something to learn with and more than the stock GWS system can provide.

That's a really nice looking motor and mount you posted, but if it follows along with the current JetScream motor, it's going to be too expensive for my wallet.

Thanks,

Andy
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
diligentia vis celeritas
Corona, CA
Joined Feb 2006
3,547 Posts
i'm not bob but i did sleep at a holiday inn last night...for that 3" haoye fan, you're probably looking at a motor in the 2200-2700kv range...for 3 cells, look at the het 2w23 and arc 28-47-1.5...for 4 cells, look at the het 2w25 and ammo 28-56-2300...the prices on a few ammo 28s and 36s look pretty sweet right now at towerhobbies...
gunracer is offline Find More Posts by gunracer
Old Jan 16, 2008, 05:11 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,037 Posts
...here is another one:
http://www.airpowernet.com/twe/produ...roducts_id=525
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin