HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

X4 Micro AC/DC 1-Cell LiPo Charger

The Indoor Flyers Ultimate Charger

Splash

4 Port AC/DC Charger for Single Cell Lipos

Hitec's latest charger is perfect for indoor flyers with lots of single cell lipo batteries. The X4 can connect to an AC or a DC power source which means you have great flexibility. It has 4 independent chargers on board so you can charge different capacity batteries as you see fit. The display shows current, capacity and charge status for each charger. The current is adjustable from .1A to 1A. Charging batteries one at a time is no fun. The X4 can keep you flying by having up to 4 batteries charging at the same time. [Hitec]

Features

• AC/DC Dual Power Input
  • Four Independent Charge Ports
  • Each Port Features Four Popular Battery Connectors and an Independent LED Display
  • Audible Alarm Indicating Process Termination
  • Adjustable Charge Current: 0.1~1 amp
  • Comprehensive Safety Features Including Short Circuit, Over Current, Battery Reverse Polarity and DC Input Voltage Protection

Specifications

• AC Input: 100-240 volts
  • DC Input: 11-15 volts
  • Charge Circuit Power: 4 x 4W
  • Charge Current Range: 0.1~1.0 amp
  • Net weight: 10 ounces
  • Dimensions: 5.2 x 3.9 x 2.0 inches

Discussion

Old Dec 12, 2013, 04:35 PM
urs
switzerland
Joined Dec 2000
707 Posts
nice one...but how much does it cost????
urs
urs is offline Find More Posts by urs
Old Dec 13, 2013, 04:34 AM
Georgia
Joined Jun 2007
612 Posts
The charge current limits it to smaller capacity Lipos, or long charge times.
It would take about 2 1/2 hours to charge the majority of my 4S3300mah batteries.
Longer if the max wattage is actually all of 4W.
chuck75 is offline Find More Posts by chuck75
Old Dec 13, 2013, 04:50 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck75 View Post
The charge current limits it to smaller capacity Lipos, or long charge times.
It would take about 2 1/2 hours to charge the majority of my 4S3300mah batteries.
Longer if the max wattage is actually all of 4W.
it is only made for 1s cells, it cant charge multi-cell packs.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:59 AM
Rekitter of fine aircraft
United States, TX, Spring
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
At $20-30 I'd be all over it, but at $50, not so much. That buys a lot of batteries and my current chargers can do everything it does, though only one at a time.
SFT2 is offline Find More Posts by SFT2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to work
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
not enough store function
danunax is offline Find More Posts by danunax
Old Dec 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
Another thought. A 4s5000 pack could charge a BUNCH of 1s150s. If it was cheaper I'd jump on it and whip up a quick series cable for a pair of 5AH 2 cell car packs and vastly cut down on what I have to take to the field. Since I can't drive, I ride a trike pulling a trailer full of UMX planes, and I just plain cannot haul a deep cycle charging battery, but I could haul a pair of 2 cells.

Hitec, I've used your products for decades, but I won't touch your chargers at their current prices, especially when they're generally YAFBCs that can be had for half of your prices elsewhere.

(YAFBC: yet another four button charger)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 04:59 PM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2004
117 Posts
SFT2, 4 port Celectra will do what you need.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108545

And you are right about, this is another re-branded SkyRC charger.
http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=188

From what I could find, it won't be cheap.
Kuba is offline Find More Posts by Kuba
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:22 PM
Custom Rekitter
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,008 Posts
No info on whether it'll bring the cells back down to storage charge either from the OP or on the Hitec website. Anyone have a clue about this aspect?
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Dec 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba View Post
SFT2, 4 port Celectra will do what you need.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1108545

From what I could find, it won't be cheap.
Yeah, I'm guessing that'll be just as much as the Hitec labelled charger. I'm seriously considering throwing some MCP73831 chips and digital pots on a board, along with an Arduino of some kind and a 1.8" TFT, and doing it myself for about $20.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 08:15 PM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2004
117 Posts
New Celectra is ~$35
Old Dec 15, 2013, 09:46 PM
Joined May 2004
1,109 Posts
Quote:
New Celectra is ~$35
For what it is, a fully self contained easily portable charger, that really isn't too bad. However, I really want to be able to adjust charge current, and I like working with microcontrollers, so building one sounds like fun. I'm working on talking to the TFT display now and will start figuing out how to use a switch mode power supply chip I have in my stash later. The plan is to use a large 2 cell LiFe pack to charge at least 2 single cells at a time, and have it easily scaled to more or less cells.

But that's getting way off topic. Back to the Hitec, if I weren't so cheap I'd be all over it. It looks to have a good set of features in a small package that will run on whatever power you have handy. The ability to select charge current puts it well ahead of the Celectra. I want to charge at no more than 1c before I head to the field, but once I'm there I prefer 3c so there's less down time. I routinely fly 3 planes 3-4 flights each in a 3 hour stay at the park, and I don't want to wait for batteries to charge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2004
117 Posts
Charge current on Celectra can be adjusted from ~100mAh to ~350mAh,
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:17 AM
Joined Nov 2013
2 Posts
I don't have any experience with the Hitec, but I picked up a "WYSIWYG 1" 4-port 1S charger a couple of months ago from 4Port.us, and love it.

http://4port.us/products/wysiwyg-1/

It's only $69 and includes an AC adapter. Pick up a $5 5V, 5A BEC and it'll do everything the Hitech can do.

Sure it doesn't have a microprocessor, knobs and fancy displays, but it is dirt simple to use and to borrow Apple's slogan, it just works. Plus, the guy that makes them really knows his stuff, and is super responsive to questions.

All you have to do is flip the current setting switch, plug in the battery and keep flying. It handles 75mA to 1100mA per battery.

I suppose the only drawback is that it doesn't speak Chinese so it will never be $20. But I have no problem paying a fair price for a quality product.

Here's a video review on YouTube.

WYSIWYG 1 Video Review (5 min 34 sec)
Cartoonkid is offline Find More Posts by Cartoonkid
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:37 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,420 Posts
Quote:
That SkyRC charger only has 3 different socket types per charge outlet vs 4 shown on the Hitec?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover