HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:33 AM
Long Island, N.Y.
Joined Oct 2002
241 Posts
Manta Plane

I came across a few threads on the Manta Plane, and was very interested. I just called up the company, and was told that the new kits were being shipped with both the trainer wing and the aerobatic wing, but without the motor. He reccomends using the 480 with a 2.2mm shaft. Does anyone know where to find yhese motors, or know of something better without going the brushless route? Does anyone have the Manta that they fly ?
newbee E-flier is offline Find More Posts by newbee E-flier
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2002, 01:35 PM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts

He is recommending the long can 400 refered to as a 480. Has the same shaft size as a 400 because it is a 400. He is also recommending using the one from Parkflyers.com which is a reverse timed motor. Price is right around $10.

Mine is ordered, but hasn't arrived. Videos are awesome. Made some great improvements. Even has two different sizes of planes.
Tim Seidenstricker is offline Find More Posts by Tim Seidenstricker
Old Dec 11, 2002, 01:42 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
A friend has one that I recommended to my daughter to get him for a gift (her fiance) He started out okay with it but quicky grew to hate it. Feeling guilty for recommending it, I bought it from him, I'm not nuts about it either. But it will fly again. We both hated the rubber band, flimsy way it was designed to allow it to crash and be put back together. This also allows it to come appeart in flight making for a crash. Someone else at the field has one too - and says he loves it - but his is constantly loosing a part in flight and crashing too.

I'd advise against it and recommend a more professionally designed kit. Heck - or buy mine, Wing is covered, will include the original motor. All parts, instructions etc. Will be much less than a new one. The Sig Rascal is a pro kit and that is far worse. So go figure.

If I keep it my plan is to rebuild it in a more perminant way (epoxy on connections instead of rubber bands) glueing on tail/rugger instead of the double stick tape that lets loose in flight etc. I'm also gonna put a brushless on it. The stock motor only ran about 4 minutes. I flew it once while he had it and I enjoyed it's flight characteristics. (I used a CP1700 8 cell)

I have many planes, so I don't know if I'll ever get around to fixing it the way I want it - so I'd be more apt to sell it off. (also have it setup with servos, extra wire connections, all the extras it needs to finish the kit). No damage. (the long spars broke (twice) but I have connections with a kite company and can get replacements for free. So I replaced them with new ones. Gearbox is pretty much guaranteed damaged in a crash, but they're only like 3 bucks each - so we bought 5 of them. I think I have 2-3 spares still around. (new)

hope this helps.
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Old Dec 11, 2002, 03:31 PM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
ReDesigned

The Manta being referred to here with two wings is a 2.0 version of the original. Don't think comparing it to the first version is fair. Very few people have the second version yet so I am assuming you are talking about the first version.
Old Dec 11, 2002, 05:49 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
A 2nd wing doesn't make it a different plane. I was told when I ordered it that it was a new plane and was being developed still. I later went to the website for support and found the website pretty much said my plane was discontinued. I was also told when I ordered it (and was sent a pic in email) that a neat cowling was in the works and that everyone who bought the plane would get one at no charge. (never saw one).

The motor was a bad choice. (it's a good thing it's no longer included). The best part was the wing. The plane required a good amount of work to cover the wing. And was rather costly in servo extension wires. (lots of em).

I was impressed by the videos too - but it never happened. We never had it crash and could rebuild it in 5-10-15 minutes. We either had to order new spars or replace a gearbox, prop (Almost always) and repaired wires/speed control that got hacked and slashed by the prop during the crash
Old Dec 12, 2002, 08:49 AM
Boise, ID 83703
Joined May 2001
266 Posts
It's Only Money

To late now, mine is already on order. Will fly mine off water then instead of aerobatics. I can live with that. Thanks for the tips.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:22 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
It'll fly - was just a lot of bucks by the time we bought all the extensions and got it setup. I would highly recommend glueing/making perminent connections rather than the double stick tape. The Wing seems to take a lot of abuse. Motor mount idea is poor. I'd like to know how your power system works and what you selected and what run time you get.

If I get mine ready to fly - I want to put in a new power system was thinking AXI bruchless since that's what I use on my Aquila. (landing gear system on Manta is also really poor) try to beef it up when you can where ever you can. It would make a really nice float plane. It's a good stable flyer and I like the large size.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 02:56 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
opps to clarify - mine is a MANTA ACROBAT
Not to be confused with Manta 2.0
Though the problems we had would be inherent in
all models of this design.