HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2001, 01:36 PM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
Yes.

The traditional way is to use a different hole on the horn (servo arm or control horn), but many modern transmitters allow the adjustments to be made through the turn of a potentiometer or in software.

Hope that helps, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2001, 06:53 PM
Berks, England
Joined Jun 2001
598 Posts
I agree with John, but would like to add one thing:
I think it's better if you don't permanently set extreme control throw changes on the Tx. The servos will work best if the Tx throw/end-point setting is near-ish to 100% (optionally with dual-rates reducing it further some of the time). Extreme values can either place an unnecessary extra strain on the servo or give a noticeably non-linear response. Personally I try to keep the Tx within about 85-110%, and adjust the horns to get further changes.

Stuart
stuartaw is offline Find More Posts by stuartaw
Old Jun 19, 2001, 12:35 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
Adjusting control throws ?

Another dumb question, but...When they talk about adjusting the control throws, are they talking about putting the control rod/wire into a different hole on the servo arm or by making an adjustment on the transmitter ?
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old Jun 19, 2001, 05:01 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,483 Posts
As Stuart says.

Set the throws 'mechanically' using servo arm and control horn positions, and only use the TX settings if really necessary.

Same applies to centre positions (if your radio allows you to adjust these) ... you should first get the best you can by moving the servo arms on the shafts (often rotating them 180 degrees gives a different position).
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jun 19, 2001, 07:29 AM
Central NJ
Joined Mar 2001
708 Posts
OOOOhhh, so that's what dem extra holes are for

thanks guys..I guess there's more then one way to skin a cat then , huh ?
Feodosia Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Feodosia Flyer
Old Jun 20, 2001, 12:30 AM
Rhode Island
Joined Oct 2000
585 Posts
On mechanically adjusting linkages:

If you want to decrease the throw and you have the option of moving out a hole on the control horn or moving in a hole on the servo arm, it's better to go out a hole on the horn. Contrariwise, if you want to increase throw, it's better to go out a hole on the servo than to go in a hole on the control horn.

The reason for this is because any slop in the linkage will have less of an effect.
BobK is offline Find More Posts by BobK
Old Jun 21, 2001, 01:22 AM
Bristol, England
Joined Aug 2000
2,077 Posts
I do agree with making mechanical adjustments before making changes to the transmitter settings, but I thought it might be me just being old fashioned!

Regards to all, John
John E is offline Find More Posts by John E
Old Jun 22, 2001, 06:11 AM
Somewhere in England
Joined Apr 2001
207 Posts
...or put it another way....

Where possibe it's best to use the longest servo arm and the longest horn on the control surface. This reduces the impact of any play in the holes.

also...

The splines in the center are arranged so that by rotating the arm through 90 degrees you can fine tune the neutral position to approx a quarter of one spline position. (Eerrr now that I think about it you can't rotate and refit the arm at EXACTLY 90 degrees).

[This message has been edited by cwatters (edited 06-22-2001).]
cwatters is offline Find More Posts by cwatters
Old Jun 22, 2001, 07:52 AM
Most Exalted Windbag
Newark, DE USA
Joined May 2001
1,632 Posts
I agree with hooking up to the arms at the longer positions to minimize the effects of slop.

This may be old hat, but I've been slicing off 1/16" slivers of plastic tubing and pushing it over the end of the z bend and hitting the outside with a drop of thick CA. When these are pushed up semi firmly, there's essentially no slop and no binding.

The directed squirt tubing that comes with spray lubes is great. I've made wheel retainers in this way and I land on dirt, stones and pot holes and have bent and re-bent the axles many times and the retainers are still fine.

RB

[This message has been edited by Red Baron 47 (edited 06-22-2001).]
Red Baron 47 is offline Find More Posts by Red Baron 47