HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2014, 12:09 AM
Pat Chewning
USA, OR, Beaverton
Joined Sep 2009
298 Posts
Discussion
Throttle AND Spoilers -- TX stick/slider/switch

I fly a lot of gliders. I use the throttle stick for either spoilers or flaps (throttle up = go fast, throttle down = slow down).

I also have a few electric powered gliders where I use the throttle normally for the electric motor.

But now I have an electric glider with both an electric motor AND spoilers. I'm at a loss for what to do:

A) Throttle stick = electric motor; Slider for spoilers ?
B) Throttle stick = spoilers, slider for electric motor?
C) Something that allows me to use the throttle stick for electric motor AND spoilers somehow??? (How to handle the transition? Is it "safe" ??)

This is not a programming question for the transmitter, it is a question of what will be the best, most natural stick/pot/switch/slider assignment for having both a motor throttle AND a spoiler on the same transmitter?

What's worked for you?
pchewn is offline Find More Posts by pchewn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 02:41 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
997 Posts
Choices

I suspect from tracking the threads that most folks use a switch for the motor, with soft start, leaving flaps or spoilers for the 'throttle' stick.
I set my electric soarers up with three flight modes on a three-position switch:
Launch - Throttle stick works the motor, flaps/spoilers inactive.
Cruise/thermal - Throttle stick inactive. Camber on slider if available. Spoilers/flaps/motor inactive - pure glider.
Land - Motor inactive, throttle stick works flaps/spoilers.
The only risk with this setup is that you need to be aware of your flight mode and where the throttle stick is when you change modes.
In the end, it comes down to personal choice, and what you are used to.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Feb 18, 2014, 03:56 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,158 Posts
For motor control I use either a switch for glider types or the stick for power type models.
Electric gliders tend to be either motor on for climbing and motor off for gliding, but power types need the variable throttle.

I always use sliders for spoilers or camber.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Feb 18, 2014, 05:06 AM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem View Post
I suspect from tracking the threads that most folks use a switch for the motor, with soft start, leaving flaps or spoilers for the 'throttle' stick.
........In the end, it comes down to personal choice, and what you are used to.
I would be one of those suspects. Motor on switch with soft start,hard brake and slow brake ramp, motor on the climb to altitude and motor off to go soaring. A carry over from 40 some years of string launch flying, throttle stick down for retracted spoilers or flaps and up for deployed. Some use the throttle stick to other way round. There is no right or wrong as Petem says.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 07:47 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,095 Posts
Based on flight mode, the left stick is either throttle or spoiler/flap on my e-gliders, but then I fly power and heli's as well. Other than launch mode, the motor is actually disabled and cannot be started.
tkallev is online now Find More Posts by tkallev