HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:24 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
New Product
Hobbyking Sky Eye

The Sky Eye is a large plug and fly glider designed for the FPV pilot who is looking for all the benefits of a larger model that is also fast to get into the air and won't break the bank!

Make no mistake, the Sky Eye is a biggie! That said, it is also really practical and features a 2pc plug in wing and huge magnetic canopy for easy camera and Lipo access. Being a plug and fly model, the Sky Eye is really quick to assemble, the heavy duty mini servo's are all pre-installed, as is the powerful 35mm brushless out-runner motor and ESC, in fact setting up your camera in the supplied transparent camera dome is going to be the longest job of the build!

As the old saying goes, the bigger they are, the better they fly and with a 2 metre span, the Sky Eye provides a high lift, stable and virtually un-stallable camera & FPV platform thanks to it's generous wing area and effective pre-installed flaps. The powerful brushless outrunner and 8" prop combo offer an excellent climb rate while the effectively sized four channel control surfaces offer absolute control at all speeds. This fantastic model offers a fun and easy to fly glider and FPV/Camera platform in a simple & fast to build format that is totally affordable and perfect for pilots of every ability, the Sky Eye offers something unique and familiar rolled into one great priced package!

Features:
Tough EPO Construction
Plug and Fly Format, Simply add Battery and Reciever!
Large Size Ideal for a Stable Flying in a Variety of Weather Conditions
Unique Nose Mounted Transparent Camera Dome
Pre-Installed Landing Wheel
Pre-Installed Flaps
Large Magnetic Canopy
Plug In 2pc Wing for Easy Transport
Powerful 35mm Brushless Outrunner
Large Payload Capability
Large CF wing Tube

Specs:
Wingspan: 2000mm
Length: 1100mm
Weight: 1350g
Wing Area: 46.3dm2
Wing Loading: 29.2g/dm2
Servo: 6 x Mini 17g
ESC: 30A w/BEC
Motor: 3536 Brushless Outrunner 900kv
Prop: 8x6
All Hardware & Instructions Included

Requires:
Your Own 6 Channel TX/RX
2200mAh 3s Lipoly Batter (Min)
Foam Glue or CA/Kicker

HobbyKing Daily - HK Sky Eye EPO FPV/Glider (3 min 25 sec)

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...00mm_PNF_.html
fryfrog is offline Find More Posts by fryfrog
Last edited by fryfrog; Jul 16, 2013 at 06:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
I saw HobbyKing post on Facebook about a new FunJet and went to look at their new products and discovered this, which looks like a big brother to the Bixler 2.

I was expecting to find a thread here with lots of information, but couldn't. Hopefully this isn't a duplicate.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:26 PM
Canada, NL, Corner Brook
Joined Jun 2013
61 Posts
I was looking at this today also. Has anyone ordered it?

The fact there is no kit option will discourage many......let the hot rodding, CF upgrading, begin...lol.

Can't wait to see what the hard core FPV'ers will do with this one!
Mackie22 is offline Find More Posts by Mackie22
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
I had a dream to join a pair of Bixler 2s into something interesting... I think I've just upgraded that dream a little.

But I really don't like the camera right in the nose.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 07:10 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Price wise it's not that bad, if you hold out you get the "one time" offer of $111.00 for it.
Really something that big with just add your rx and pack is pretty decent. Did not check out the shipping cost though, that might be the killer.

My concerns would be the plastic nose/ dome. Hopefully they will offer it as a spare part, as I don't see it lasting too long. Even without boinking it, any marks on it would show up in your videos. Plus I wonder if the shape will affect the camera's view.

Hmm, I guess you could build a different nose for it, with a replaceable flat clear plate for the camera lens to look through.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jul 18, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Feb 2011
189 Posts
Okay, this may not be the same version, but it's practically the same thing. I've flown the Sky Eye about a month ago until my dad crashed it due to him forgetting to check the control surfaces. PEOPLE DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK THE CONTROL SURFACES EACH FLIGHT

I can say that this plane has no bad tendencies with the way my dad ( RC Heli pilot) and I fly. I like the fact that it just lifts off your hand when you gently chuck it. In fact it has a better glide rate than the Skywalker 1680 V6. Did I mention that this plane has no bad tendencies? It basically flies just like any other similar glider but with 300% more room for FPV gear. They did get rid of the pitching up when you cut the throttle, maybe because the weight is more evenly distributed as opposed to the Skysurfer 2M. Landing was in fact easier than landing the original 2M Skysurfer. This one really did slow down when it came to land so my whole throttle movement was basically just trying to crawl it in by adjusting power when it needed it. ( I suggest doing this ONLY when youre familiar with the aircraft)

Now for the cargo bay. I've fitted a 3s 3700mah and it balances fine with it. Feel like it's still not enough? There's still room below the wings. I cut a door so I can access the area underneath the wing and placed my Storm OSD there. The dome does scratch easily so take GOOD care of that especially during landing. My dad added foam to raise the nose a little to prevent it from scratching it. Treat it like a camera lens. I suggest wrapping it in a cloth or better yet make a cover for it. As for you doubters the GoPro Hero 1, 2 and 3 do fit the dome. I used foam to keep it in place and it did fine.

The stock ESC does heat up a little so I would recommend making an inlet somewhere. I highly suggest you swap out the stock Elevator and Rudder servos to a better brand. It's a bit scary relying on these cheap servos. Go with a more trusted brand. I just left the Aileron and Flaps since they aren't as crucial as the Elevator and Servos. As for the CG I basically measure 30% of where the wing is or where the spar/fattest part of the wing is.

Final Recommendations: If youre looking for an FPV rig, this plane is the way to go. Great slow speed handling and wide cargo bay make this a good platform for your FPV needs. It is also efficient in carrying weight.

Hobbyking/Skysurfer Sky Eye T-tail verion (not for sale in Hobbyking, but it is the same fuse and wings)

Front view with FPV camera

Hero 3 fitted, and you still have space for the video cable on the side. I placed it exactly in the center, so you opt to offset it to have more room on the other end.

Close up view of the Hobbyking/Skysurfer Sky Eye

Cargo Bay fitted the most common battery known to RC mankind a 3s 2200mah. You can see that it has plenty of space for bigger batteries or more equiptment.

Small hatch for the additional cargo bay if your want to keep things neat in the main cargo bay.

Hatch closed

Final photo of the Hobbyking/Skysurfer Sky Eye. I apologize for the messy man cave I promise I'll clean it when I have more free time

Oh and heres a little something for you fellas. This was the maiden of the Hobbyking/Skysurfer Sky Eye which was lost last month, NOT, I say again NOT, the T-tail version. Enjoy

Hobbyking/Sky Surfer Sky Eye Maiden (6 min 41 sec)

BTW if you have any questions or requests just send me a message in youtube and if you like it please subscribe to my channel . Before I forget Ill have a maiden video of the T-tail version in a week or two.
shadowbreaker is online now Find More Posts by shadowbreaker
Last edited by shadowbreaker; Jul 18, 2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 05:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Hornsby
Joined Jul 2005
634 Posts
Holy snapping handbags batman. You might want to reduce those photos before they crash the server.....
Even my ADSL2 is struggling.

Al
_AL_ is offline Find More Posts by _AL_
Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2011
189 Posts
Okay that is odd, I just used my iPhone to take a photo of that. I have no clue why its that big, anyways how do I change it lol
shadowbreaker is online now Find More Posts by shadowbreaker
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:08 AM
Joined Apr 2013
3 Posts
Anybody know where I can purchase the T -tail version from in the UK ?
dynoprilia is offline Find More Posts by dynoprilia
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
418 Posts
BTW this plane by Powerzone was a blatant rip off of the Techpod. When I was shopping around for EPO factories to have the Techpod manufactured at, Powerzone was one of 12 interviewed and we shared 3D plans with them of the Techpod. There were NDA's etc. all the precautions were taken that could be taken to protect IP. When Powerzone was NOT chosen as the factory to use for the manufacturing of them, they just ignored what documents and NDA's they signed and went ahead and made this anyway. So this is not a big deal but rather a clue to what kind of company Powerzone is....

Oh yeah and then HobbyKing ripped off Powerzone and just changed the tail config back to Bixler style.....

Hhmmm.....looks like a trend here.
Asia Tech Drones is offline Find More Posts by Asia Tech Drones
Last edited by Asia Tech Drones; Jul 31, 2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 02:41 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,389 Posts
The Chinese companies will do anything to make a quick buck.
They did it to IBcrazy too!
I knew it was similiar to your design, but I got flak from saying that on July 15th.
Most are saying its a completely different plane from Cyclops/TechPod.
(They (all 3) are different, they just made a cheaper version of yours).
Sorry man, they benefitted from your design.

I did buy one because it was inexpensive, and I took measurements
for www.smallpartscnc.com because I wanted to change the motor.

John,
I posted this on my FPV thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1957330
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Jul 31, 2013 at 02:49 PM.
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jan 2013
418 Posts
Well normally I would not even bring it up, however I do have personal knowledge about this case. At the Beijing Expo show this plane was on display. I stopped in the Powerzone booth and had some VERY STRONG WORDS with the owner of the company that was back peddling about 200mph trying to diffuse the situation before I punched him out....Needless to say I did not end up in the Chinese jail over it. The owner KNEW full well what he had done and never DREAMED he would see me again. He tried to tell me that he had been working on this design parallel to mine at the same time. It's funny though, he never brought it up in any of our discussions when I was visiting his factory and over the several lunches and dinners we shared. I did some checking on the guys background and found it is a common theme to his character.....NO BIG DEAL...
Asia Tech Drones is offline Find More Posts by Asia Tech Drones
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:58 PM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,389 Posts
You 'punched' him?

p.s.
So who is selling these? HobbyKing or PowerZone?
Who benefitted the most? (most likely Hobbyking?).
Old Jul 31, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asia Tech Drones View Post
BTW this plane by Powerzone was a blatant rip off of the Techpod. When I was shopping around for EPO factories to have the Techpod manufactured at, Powerzone was one of 12 interviewed and we shared 3D plans with them of the Techpod. There were NDA's etc. all the precautions were taken that could be taken to protect IP. When Powerzone was NOT chosen as the factory to use for the manufacturing of them, they just ignored what documents and NDA's they signed and went ahead and made this anyway. So this is not a big deal but rather a clue to what kind of company Powerzone is....

Oh yeah and then HobbyKing ripped off Powerzone and just changed the tail config back to Bixler style.....

Hhmmm.....looks like a trend here.
I was curious, so I did a little Google... looks like a kickstarter for Techpod I assume? I like your design, it looks well thought out.

To me, it looks like they took the unique front dome from yours and just added it to the existing Sky Surfer clones. Is there any other aspect they took?
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:42 AM
USA
Joined May 2010
4,389 Posts
John,
seems like the Chinese manufacturers love your idea's!
again, Sorry they stole from you man