Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:39 AM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
Discussion
Thunderbolt Hydro

Built this for our club racing new class for Hydro,tunnel,cat class
Aeromarine thunderbolt powered with modded K30 RZ due to our rules had to make exhaust guard and reinforced the scoop to act as a grab handle
still a couple of small jobs left to do but otherwise complete using the build review on another site

Exhaust guard

Reinforced canopy and lock down points to use the scoop for grab handle

Carbon Fibre tube to filled with grease to support the 2.3mm stainless steering bar,withh added alloy support for tube

Speedmaster Turnfin

Rear grab handle

couple off jobs to finish off then get it on the water and setup
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:30 AM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Daz, you built a kit boat, I'm in shock! You did put your personal touches on it though.
I just spent 4 weeks on Medical Leave and now a week of vacation time so I'm going through cabin fever. I threw together a F-41 Stryker Cat and qam wirking on putting together a freinds boat to help me from going any crazier than I am now.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:12 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
LOL Ron just fancied something different for a change instead of spending hrs on hrs designing,building etc plus never done a hydro before and perfect for the RZ engine,all the hardware is off the F1 after the big crash but had to do some repair on the strut and rudder hehe
Just see how it goes once finished may even get some ideas off it
Hope you feeling better now and good to here you got something to keep you occupied LOL
Infact its the 2nd kit boat i built as iv just finished a 60" titan and built and modded my 1st engine so intrigued to see how that goes,just the weather holding me up
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:31 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
The rear exhaust engine looks good sitting in there. I've still got an RCMK R-254 Evo collecting dust in the shop that I don't know what I'm going to do with yet, put it in something or sell it.
I've got to go see the company Doc in a couple of hours to have him clear me to return to work. I'm actually enjoying the time off work as usually I'm working mostly 7-day weeks.
The weather here is about the same. We've had several days in the 50 F range but the ponds are frozen. The Cat needs some cowl locks, the only thing that I'm in need of. Those I'll probably pick up this coming weekend at the Toledo Show as Zippkits will have a booth there. I was hoping that Aeromarine was coming back this year as Remy was talking about it but it doesn't loook like that's going to happen.
I'll try to post some pix Saturday from my cell phone to Facebook from the show so keep an eye on my FB page.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:47 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
Cool hopefully doc will clear you then bud
its cold here and some of the lakes are froze over which is annoying as iv now got 3 boats sitting waiting for testing though i have still got to finish this 1 but nothing to do with the running,need to finish the exhaust guard as iv got to extend it to cover more exhaust were not allowed more than 65mm of it showing then add some floatation foam tubes
spoke to a friend of mine today got an aeromarine hydro ran it the other day just clipped the buoy and the hull split at the seam so tempted to now to strip everything back out and reinforce it to play it safe
Ill keep an eye out sat
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:30 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,885 Posts
Aeromarine is offering taped seams but I think that you have to ask for it. They should just do it to all of their gas hulls. The Conquest's had a big issue with that.
I was trying to piece enough pool noodles together for my new Cat. Later in the day I went to a neighborhood discount store and to my surprise, they already had them in stock!
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:44 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
I agree they should end of the day they need to be strong round the seam,unfortunetly didnt know that at the time plus we got a uk dealer for them and he never said either
Ill have to strip it and get some epoxy tomorrow and do it i think to play it safe
We got a local shop that sells it aswell so ill go get some while im out
Old Apr 09, 2013, 02:14 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,064 Posts
Finally finished and ready for water,extended the exhaust guard,added extra floatation,charged the lipo up and bench tested it everything seems good so far cant wait to see it on the water
will need some minor adjustments and richen up the fuel as its not been run in a while

roll on sunday as dont think ill get chance to run before the race