HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:41 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Discussion
RC Abrams at LHS

My LHS has a, what looks to be a 1/8 scale or so, Abrams tank, on consignment.

It is tan, mostly plastic, maybe 36" long. The seller only wants to go through the manager so I only know what he knows, which isn't much.

The radio has a telescoping antenna and I was told it is about 10 years old.

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks!
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Last edited by Sixinarow; Dec 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Forgot a word
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:02 AM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Sounds like it may be the 21st Century Abrams. Do a google on them, I don't have much information. I believe they may have been front drive wheel (where the real Abrams and most models of course) are driven by drive sprokets at the rear.

Edit.
1/9 scale here's the first thing I came across with a google...
http://www.foxflier.com/abrams/index.htm
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Last edited by Merkava; Dec 29, 2012 at 01:04 AM. Reason: additional information.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
561 Posts
Most likely the 1/9 21st Century item, although there was another one made, but it was more toy looking.

The 21st Century piece is nice for as a static item. They at first suffered from idlers snapping off (which is why I never bought one) but later molds beefed up that area.

I forget most of that time as they were like a flash in the pan. There are no parts systems to support it and now that the company is no longer in operation, replacement parts are not available.

It would be great if you can fabricate your own parts and upgrade it but unless you can get it cheap, it could be a money pit.

Great dust queen!

~ Jeff
Panther F is online now Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Thanks, guys! The seller wants $350 which didn't sound too bad until I saw the link that mentioned Wal Mart sold them for under $100!

I appreciate the info and should have Googled it!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
561 Posts
What they are worth and what they are going for will be debated but THAT is the going price for them as they are discontinued.

When eBay has them they go for that amount so it's up to you. It's still a toy grade item.

~ Jeff
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:22 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
for 350 it must be a tamiya model ( i say must but i ment may ) check to see if it has a real tx or a toy grade a telescoping antenna were common a few years ago before 2.4g . and also shoot some pics of it with your phone and post . also look for the tamiya logo or any logo for that matter . but for the price tamiya models are expencive to start with .
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak
Last edited by rcphreak; Dec 29, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:46 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Thanks again, guys. If it is still there when I go back to get some parts I ordered I will snag some photos and info.

For now, I bought a Henglong M41 Bulldog with metal upgrades from Amazon. I haven't owned a tank since I was younger. It was some department store plastic thing.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:30 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
If it's the 21st Century version, bout the only one I know of in 1/9th scale, you can pick them up for $100.00 or less dependent on condition. I've got two sitting on the bench now getting overhauls, and a 3rd on the way, from a client. They used the 1/6th Stuart boards and drives, even the sounds. Cadillac V8's instead of a turbine for engine sounds.

Toss the boards and tx. And like said if you are going to run it, ALL of the running gear has to be beefed up. The plastic it's made of is brittle, and the idlers snap off, soon followed by the rest of the wheels.

Pity, could have been a nice tank, the Stuart is a gem compared to it construction wise.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
561 Posts
I agree with the Stuart VS Abrams comment as I have 2 of the M5's.

The only bad thing on them was the sprocket issue and the battery being in the rear, which both are an easy fix.

If you have the room (the Abrams is BIG) then I would get it knowing you WILL have to work on it. I passed on SO MANY of them discounted at Walmart back in the day... just because I didn't have the room. I guess I could have tossed the TV out to make room for one but 2 1/6 scale Stuarts was enough!

~ Jeff
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:50 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
Sixinarow,

no need to take photos, I have seen it at the "LHS" as well, and based on my research, it can only be a "21st Century Abrams". the offer of $350 is way out of line, now that i know what i am looking at, even though the thing is in mint condition. I did some looking on ebay, and two of these have sold there in the last 6 months, both for well under $200, including shipping. If you still want it, let the seller know that his nearest ebay competition didn't sell less than 2 weeks ago for $120 plus $50 shipping. nobody bid on it, it wasn't worth the $120 minimum bid.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261143855105...84.m1438.l2649
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:08 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Thank you, everyone, for the help. It is greatly appreciated and I am glad I got some answers before throwing money at it. It is very cool but I don't need it.

tsenecal, thanks! It is nice to know you've seen it in person. I'll definitely mention the Ebay ads if (big if) I go in to look at purchasing it.

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:43 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,355 Posts
Sixinarow, watch CraigsList for em. That's where my client got his.
Two of em were like new $100.00 a piece, one used for $65.00.

They could have been a nice set up, they have 4 different channels they can operate on, just flip the switches on the tx and tank, alas not one of them ran more then a few minutes before dying.

And like Panther F said, if you get one, plan on a ton of rework to get a runner.
Every stinking road wheel/roller/idler needs to have bushings added, and new axles for all of em. For what ever reason, they used pressed axles that cannot be reused once removed. And they are a bugger to remove. Parts alone are going to run you in the neighborhood of $200.00 just to correct this, to do it right. Plus like stated the plastic is very bad, you'll need to use full width axles on the rollers/idlers/front road wheels/ and idler arms, as the way it's originally designed, there's less then 1/8" of plastic to support em.

Then the turret needs attention, it's way rear heavy and has so much slop that it cocks the turret ring gear and drive gear so much that they slip.

Fix these, add a hobby grade tx/rx/esc, and a couple of servos for elevation and turret rotation and you'll have roughly 350-400 bucks invested, not including the purchase price.

That's no sound/smoke/lights/battle systems.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 01, 2013, 12:13 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
Glacier Girl,

your comments about the weight of the turret & sloppy ring gear explains why all the youtube videos show the turret "swinging" whenever the tank would change direction. so much mass and sloppy gears allowed the turret to move all on its own.

check out the video starting at about 1:25:

Giant M1 Abrams RC Tank (3 min 56 sec)
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:46 AM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
561 Posts
Man... now I wish I had bought one anyway, back when they were cheap. It would take up the space of both my Stuarts and then some. I have a little 9X11 foot room with a workbench, a 36 inch TV, huge shelf speakers and stereo cabinet, a subwoofer, a small library of books and movies, an L-Shaped office desk and a bench with a drill press and lathe. Splattered throughout the room are some storage cabinets and shelf's too.

Then there's a sofa in the middle of all that too, so no room for an Abrams. LOL

I'll sound like Mr. Obvious here and say that just about every project you undertake is a money pit. Unlike the Tamiya kits which need the least amount of upgrades, all the Heng Longs, Mattoros, Mato and 21st Century tanks are going to end up with a bunch of money thrown at them.

So if this huge, giant tank appeals to you... go for it!

~ Jeff