HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:36 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,200 Posts
That's a brilliant calc.Combine it with this one http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/?
which let's you add panels..........
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:42 AM
Just call me crash for short
United States, OH, The Plains
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
At 1.63", the CG will end up dead bang on the LE of the pitching tip. Hu8mm.... This thing might have a good chance of working after all.

Mark
Quick61 is online now Find More Posts by Quick61
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
less is more
United States, CA, Marina
Joined Sep 2006
2,782 Posts
At 1.63" you'll need a lot of elevator throw, like 20 degrees, to keep the nose up. It might be a good idea to use expo on the elevator so that you'll have some fine control plus massive throws if needed.

I hope that you able to manage a video for us for that very first flight.

Kent
Knoll53 is online now Find More Posts by Knoll53
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nosey
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
its been a few days, so hear's an update. Got the wings covered, (just went with the Doculite, sense I have it on hand), and mounted. Think I'll add a little paint to help with the viability even this one probably won't be flying that far away. Mucked about with the machine and made a run at milling a nose piece. The machine did it's job but i didn't really like it, looked ugly, disproportional once it was on the front of the fuse so that's a redo.... All OK as I held off on ordering servos, waiting for a transmitter to get in stock. ordered last night and now I have a new Turnigy 9X on the way. Looked like a good one to upgrade to from the limited single program / 3 mix capable tx I have now.

Anyway, more in a few days once parts get here.

Mark
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:07 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,782 Posts
A new plane AND and new radio.....I can't see any problems there. Better start taking your vitamins now, there's going to be a lot tweaking this and adjusting that in your future.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
A new plane AND and new radio.....I can't see any problems there. Better start taking your vitamins now, there's going to be a lot tweaking this and adjusting that in your future.

Kent
Yea, maybe so, but my old radio won't do the mixing that i need to switch between aileron / elevator and elevon with the flip of a switch. It would take hooking up to a computer and reprogramming the radio and if it didn't work, there would be no going back until it came back down. Not the best way to do it. Plus, the new radio will hold 16 setups. I can live with that.

Mark
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick61 View Post
Plus, the new radio will hold 16 setups.
Mark
It would be a shame to have a radio with a 16 plane capacity and not build 16 planes to fill it up.

It sounds like a lot, but these days, that's probably the norm. One of the local lunatics says that he has 131 RC planes, 28 of which are scale. That makes 16 look down right modest.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoll53 View Post
It would be a shame to have a radio with a 16 plane capacity and not build 16 planes to fill it up.

It sounds like a lot, but these days, that's probably the norm. One of the local lunatics says that he has 131 RC planes, 28 of which are scale. That makes 16 look down right modest.

Kent
yes it would be a shame Kent, and I don't think it would be that hard to end up with 16 planes / flying machines. Those quad copters are looking kind of interesting. This POP makes 5 now so maybe that's a running start?

Mark
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Finally got my servos and new transmitter.

*begin rant*
Ordered from that big overseas place that claims to have a US warehouse. I say claims because after paying US warehouse prices and ordering from US stock, they promptly (5 days "processing" the order before it was even put into the box) shipped from Hong Kong. While the quality was good, between the misleading claim that it would ship from US warehouse and the shipping charges that added 1/3 MORE the total cost, I don't think I will be ordering anything from them again anytime soon... Not a happy camper with those folks.
*end rant*

So I got the elevon servos mounted and hooked up. Everything went just as predicted and that part is working as planed. Transmitter binded straight away with my old 6 ch receiver ( the 9 ch that came with is just to big for this little fuse). Now I need to get the elevator servo mounted. Sense adding an elevator was sort of an after thought, I still need to cut a servo tray for it and get it installed. Then cover the fuse and get ready for the first test flights.

This experiment / prototype is now under way once again. more in the next few days.

Mark
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,782 Posts
Hobby King (mini-rant)

Oh yes, you must be ranting about Hobby King.

No need to be "polite". You can bet that we all want to know exactly who is providing such bad, deceptive "service". I was lucky in my first order through Hobby King inasmuch my order was a "global" order, so high shipping fees from China could be anticipated. It's not such a bargain when the shipping fees are included.

Trying to track my shipment was a joke. Emails to their "support centre" were responded to (but not answered) by completely useless individuals and deemed "solved". Other simple products questions sent to them were answered "I don't know" and then deemed solved. I posted a question, then a honest yet disgruntled description of my experience with the support centre in their product forum. They deleted the 2nd post.

I suppose it IS possible to do business with Hobby King if you are a very smart, hard working and durable type.

Sounds like your Tx is going to work out good. Looking forward to your radio set up for this unusual bird.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Knoll53; Dec 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,636 Posts
Hey Mark, Merry Christmas.
Glad to see the project is working again.
Please tell me the brand/model details of your old 6 channel receiver - the one that bound with the Turnigy9X.
HerkS is online now Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
Kent, yes, hobby king, and i saved about a dollar after shipping charges. The only reason i went with then was they had the servos i wanted in stock and the other company that I usually buy from (free shipping on orders over $25.00 and have always been fast) were out and had been so for a while. Otherwise, I would not of taken the chance.

Herk, the old transmitter is the flysky th6 single program type that has to be jacked into a computer to change the program, and will only allow 3 mixes and no expo. It has been a good radio and have had zero (0) problems with it or the receivers. The shiny thing about this 9x is it will bind with the little flysky 3 ch receivers as well as the 4ch / 6ch and of course, the 8ch so I can pick and chose how much receiver I need / want per plane. Next up for it is the piece of hardware that will let me flash it with 3rd party firmware that will really let it do almost anything one could dream up. It's a shame they didn't provide an ISP (In Circuit Programming) port on the circuit board for such things but just how much can one ask out of a sub $100 radio.

Merry Christmas to one and all.

Mark
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
less is more
Joined Sep 2006
2,782 Posts
I may not be keeping up, BUT, have you got the wing tip "pitcheron thing-a-majiggy" working yet??? Just wondering how it came out. What kind of throws are you getting? Piccies are always welcomed.

Kent
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,676 Posts
After a bit of playing around, a bit of reading, and a few 4 letter words, I got the mixing done for the wing. Right now the radio is set up to do elevon with elevator or elevon without. the firmware that ships with the radio is rather counter intuitive and it took a litle head scratching to get it all figured out. By default, it wanted to mix with the aux chanels (7 and 8) which are not present on a 6 ch receiver. Anyway, think it's all nailed down now. Linkage still needs the final tuning but it all seems to work rather well.

Still have not made a nose for the bird. that's next on the list, then it will be flying / crash testing time. Till then, here is a short video of the throws and mixing.

Mark

POP mixing.MOV (0 min 45 sec)
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:18 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,200 Posts
That looks great Mark.Have you decided how much movement on the control surfaces for the trial?. Not much I'd imagine.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46