HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Build Log
Micron (Micro-scale Icon A5)

*Update* 1/7/2013
More progress this past weekend. I've also noticed from the recent pictures, that my desk has become a complete mess... I've also noticed that this is looking less and less like a real A5. I think I should start saying something like "inspired by a true story..."

*Update* 12/25/2012
Merry Christmas RC groups!
Haven't made much progress on this plane recently due to finals/holidays/work. Hopefully come January they'll be some more progress on this airplane.
---------------------

I had some parts laying around after a failed attempt to do a Guillows Cessna 150 RC conversion (ended up way too heavy, but thats another story)...

I decided I would try to take the same components and build a 24" wingspan Icon A5. It won't be an exact scale model, but the key points are there, high wing, push prop, amphibious....

The current plan is to have the fuselage "structure" consist solely of a CF tube. The boat hull will be shaped with foam an attached at the end. My goal is to have just the bottom parts of the wheels poking out from beneath the hull so that it can roll or float. Not sure how easy that will be, so we'll see what happens.

Here's the specs/equipment so far:

Construction: Balsa wing/surfaces, CF tube fuselage
Motor: Turnigy 18-11-2000kv outrunner, currently spinning a GWS 4540 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5358
Battery: 2s 350mAh http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9028
Servos: Hobby King 3.7g micro servo http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5459

I'm currently a bit concerned about the motor not being powerful enough... Since the only airplane I ever mounted it to couldn't get off the ground, I'm not sure how well it will fly, but it looks a bit small... I'm open to suggestions for anything that will spin a 5 inch prop on a 2s battery.
CaptBojangles is online now Find More Posts by CaptBojangles
Last edited by CaptBojangles; Jan 08, 2013 at 07:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,648 Posts
Hey BoJ,

I had to Google the Icon A5, but what a nice looking amphibian. I'm afraid I'm not much use in the micro motor department, but you might want to check out the Parkzone brick used in the Vapor and Ember micro lights. It includes a Spectrum receiver and two servos built into the same, very lightweight package. It might be lighter than your current setup. Good luck, and welcome to RCGroups!

Steve
Steve85 is online now Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Covered the leading edge in 1/32 balsa sheeting. I'm worried a bit about the weight, but since the plan at the moment is for a CF tube fuselage, I think it should be fine...
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:56 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve85 View Post
Hey BoJ,

I had to Google the Icon A5, but what a nice looking amphibian. I'm afraid I'm not much use in the micro motor department, but you might want to check out the Parkzone brick used in the Vapor and Ember micro lights. It includes a Spectrum receiver and two servos built into the same, very lightweight package. It might be lighter than your current setup. Good luck, and welcome to RCGroups!

Steve
The real Icon is indeed a fine looking aircraft. There are actually four different ARF models around of this thing.... A 72" foamy, a Park Zone ARF at about 1.3 or 1.4 meters, a little one at 1.09 meters from Hobby King and a fairly poorly done one from Guanli.

I like the Icon so much I own two of the four...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:53 PM
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Made some good progress over the weekend.

I got a new motor from a local hobby shop. Not sure exactly what motor it is, but I believe it's this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_1300kv.html

I'm pairing it with a gws 7x4 prop and a 2s 900mAh battery.

I'm relatively happy with how it looks so far with a few exceptions...
- The wing is sitting a bit higher than I first envisioned due to the larger prop... Oh well...
- The monokote job is pretty bad... I'm painfully out of practice. You can't see it much in the pictures, but there were about 20 burn holes before I patched them all...
- After all the time I spent lining up the fuselage before attaching the struts between the fuse and the wing, its about 1/8 offset to the right... At least it's not angled, so it should be ok.

The next step is to throw on a nose wheel. I'm thining it's going to be steerable, and linked to a pull-pull rudder...
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,601 Posts
How's the weight looking so far? There looks to be a fair amount of wood in the wing and Monokote isn't the lightest covering around.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2009
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
How's the weight looking so far? There looks to be a fair amount of wood in the wing and Monokote isn't the lightest covering around.

Pete
Tell you the truth, I haven't weighed it... a good scale is something I've been meaning to buy for a while now...
Just by feel though (using the highly scientific open-palm-under-the-wing method) I'm fairly confident. As with any airplane ever, it seems heavier than I would like, but definitley flyable.

Once it's completed we'll see if there's any truth to that statement. I did 'weigh' it including the battery, esc, and elev/rudd servos, which aren't currently attached.

On a semi-related note, do you have a recommendation for a good light weight covering? I usually stick to the foamy world, so I'm not as well versed in this aspect. I've tried econokote, but that seems to have the tensile strength of chewing gum...