HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:01 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
2Doggs...where can we get 3mm ejector pins?. Really would love to salvage this great motor.
Here's one place

http://www.plastixs.com/ep07.html

and of course I'd be interested to hear of how your Typhoon repairs go!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:13 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
I wonder if I could find that locally. Probably not.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,598 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if I could find that locally. Probably not.
Unlikely! You might just get two motor shafts from a single 125mm pin. The 4mm pins make great 450 mainshafts (Steve Kauaiguy makes his own) though I lack the drill press needed to make Jesus bolt holes. Ejector pins have a really smooth finish, and they're really tough and hard wearing, being nitrided.

Another option for a 3mm motor shaft might be drill rod

http://www.metricmetal.com/products/dr.htm

Maybe you could find some of that in your neck of the woods.

P.S. sorry to get off topic!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
Thx for the info 2Doggs..
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:08 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Oops, I meant the radius for the inner swash balls, and the radius for the balls on the outer swash. It looks to me like the outer swash balls are closer in than the regular 450 Pro swash, which would make it easier to get larger cyclic pitch.
I'm with you now. That was the radius for the two inner swash balls (connected to the DFC head ball links). I'll have to check the radius of the outer balls tonight.

I originally set the servo arm ball so that the pushrods were at right angles to the swash, but the gyro reported that they were too far out, as I couldn't even get to red on the status. I went in 3mm, to the next hole, and got blue on the status. Now the pushrods angle out to the swashplate. I haven't measured them, but I think they're about 10mm out on the arm now.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Last edited by beenflying; Dec 03, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:11 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Quote:
Kinda ironic that you have that ALZRC 3800Kv motor installed. I was forced yesterday to side line my Turnigy 2218H due to a sheared shaft. Now running a Tarot 3800kv motor that looks very similar.
Yes, I think they are both made by Hobbymate (or the manufacturer that makes them for Hobbymate, as well). It performs well with the slant 11T and 121T gearing.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Yes, I think they are both made by Hobbymate (or the manufacturer that makes them for Hobbymate, as well). It performs well with the slant 11T and 121T gearing.
Wow...what is your throttle curve in idle up or what is your governor set for?..Smoking head speed. I only have the 14t 3.5mm pinion that came with my Tarot 450 FBL and the motor that fit so I just set my idle up 1 to 85,80,80,80,85 and idle up 2 to 85 flat curve.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:58 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
No governor. 88% flat in idle up 1 and 95% flat in idle up 2. I like em like that.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:37 AM View Post
helen2
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:54 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Seems the Tarot bearings don't like my head speed. I just found the outer 4x9x4mm bearing's dust cover, sitting on the inside of the blade. I'm now looking for some better 4x9x4mm bearings. Stock Align uses 4x8x3mm.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:43 AM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,823 Posts
I was just thinking that the bearings are not made to have something riding on the inter-ring. Maybe why all the other companies have the thrust bearing on the outer. Just a thought I had before your issue came up.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,274 Posts
I contacted Sam Lin from VCTRC about general pricing info on all their products and parts. He has the 3GX listed for 48 dollars less shipping. Unfortunately they only use DHL so shipping prices may be higher however you get your stuff in 3 days. They also have a 550DFC all servos, motor, esc, blades, canopy a 3GX for $450 or $400 dollars each if you buy 5 sets....

Ordered some random 450 3GX blades and parts and got them in 3 days so they are legitimate..http://vctrc.en.alibaba.com/productg....html#products
Last edited by ridge_racer; Dec 04, 2012 at 11:49 AM. Reason: does include blades and canopy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:23 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I was just thinking that the bearings are not made to have something riding on the inter-ring. Maybe why all the other companies have the thrust bearing on the outer. Just a thought I had before your issue came up.
I think you might be onto something! They should supply 9mm O.D. by maybe 8mm I.D. washers instead, that would bear onto the outer race.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:38 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
I think the way they do it is correct. The only load on the outer race of the outside radial bearing is up/down load and centrifugal force. I've got some Compass Atom 500 bearings coming that I found a LHS had. I hope Compass use good bearings.

Interestingly, the Align 700 uses the same method as this head, with the trust bearing in the middle.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:48 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,598 Posts
Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I think the way they do it is correct. The only load on the outer race of the outside radial bearing is up/down load and centrifugal force. I've got some Compass Atom 500 bearings coming that I found a LHS had. I hope Compass use good bearings.

Interestingly, the Align 700 uses the same method as this head, with the trust bearing in the middle.
Dope-slap to self! I was imagining the feathering spindle bolt going to the thrust bearing - whereas it actually goes to the inner race of the radial bearing, and from that to the thrust bearing....

But the bearing failure is slightly worrying, tempered only by your penchant for insane HS!
RCG Plus Member