HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Rave
Brake fluid to remove old paint??

I know some of you have advised using brake fluid to remove paint from old Kyosho plastics, so what is method? Immersion or brush on and how long before you rinse off??

Is rinsing with water all that is needed?

Advice and hints please, I have a few panels to restore.
zander749 is offline Find More Posts by zander749
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:25 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,153 Posts
Brake fluid is pretty harsh stuff. Look into using some stuff that Testors makes called Easy Lift Off. It can take lacquer paints off lexan without hazing or damaging the plastic at all. It should be safe for ABS and polystyrene also.
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
Barboursville, VA
Joined Dec 2008
95 Posts
Brake fluid can melt plastics pretty easily. It doesn't start melting most plastics immediately but you've gotta be quick and make sure you get all of it off. If its on your finger and you touch something that's all it takes if its not removed almost immediately. I've never used brake fluid for that purpose before but there has got to be much better ways like Guidoracer mentioned. Lexan is a very tough plastic though so I would be cautious about using it on something else. Just test it out on a small part from back side of your body work to see how the plastic reacts to it. Just be prepared to clean it off quickly just in case.

Maybe sanding it off with 2000 grit sand paper? Use it dry to get the majority of the paint off and finish by wet sanding it to get a smooth finish. You shouldn't worry about getting all of the old paint off anyway because the coat of primer will cover it pretty easily no matter what color it is. Just make sure the surface is clean before applying the primer and paint so it coats evenly and gets a good bond.
Fajita Dave is offline Find More Posts by Fajita Dave
Old Jun 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,437 Posts
Hang from ultimate RC knows theperfect stuff. Find on YouTube. URC
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,437 Posts
Here
Stripping paint from lexan: 15 products FAIL! (10 min 0 sec)

No charge
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
So looks like DOT 4 is the way to go. How many of you guys have done this?
PlatinumZJ5.9 is offline Find More Posts by PlatinumZJ5.9
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:26 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
I've used oven cleaner "easy off". You spray it on the body, let it sit a bit, then scrub it off. Just watch out, I went through several sponges wiping off the paint.

The body will end up with a slight sheen of scratches everywhere but one coat of white primer should get it back to new.

grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
primer on a lexan body?

One thing i find works great on the older hard plastic bodies is purple power engine cleaner. I use a big plastic tub filled with about 5 gallons of water and 2 gallons of purple power. Soak the body for a few days and the paint falls off with no effort at all. Never tried it with lexan though.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jul 2004
531 Posts
I just used DOT break fluid to remove old paint from a kyosho HOR. The plastic is pretty thick on those. I just filled a bucket enough to cover the parts and came back 12 hours later. Used a tooth brush and gloves to scrub the parts and the paint came off really easy. Be sure to wash the parts with dish soap a least twice to remove the fluid. This method didn't hurt the plastic one bit. By the way this method is an old one used by model car builders. They say after 48 hours the plastic will get damaged I wouldn't go any longer than 12 hours to be safe.
smoothb10 is offline Find More Posts by smoothb10
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
Another trick for you guys with old chrome part or chrome parts you want to paint is bleach. We all know you cant paint over chrome. Soak the chrome parts in bleach and in about 30-45 mins the chrome is completely dissolved off the plastic.

I have a Tamiya Unimog body that someone painted inside and out. I want to strip it down and re paint it again. Ill be trying the DOT3 fluid soon and ill post results.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:02 PM
in memory of dez RIP
USA, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
2,492 Posts
brake fluid actualy weakens the lexan you may get the paint off but the first crash or so it wont matter . but for the kyosho hang on rider i simply sanded off the old paint as to not dammage the plastic a little timely but worth it ..
rcphreak is offline Find More Posts by rcphreak