HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:46 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,010 Posts
New Product
Hubsan RTF FPV aircraft (for beginner?)

Anyone check this out yet? Looks like FPV for the complete beginner. A company called Hubsan has RTF aircraft that come complete.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:04 PM
FPV Browncoat
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Mar 2011
1,435 Posts
I don't think they're actually being sold yet, but from Alishamo's videos they look awesome. Perfect for people who just want an easy way to fly around at close range through video and don't really want to spent the time and money building an FPV system from scratch.
prelator is offline Find More Posts by prelator
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
NKK for short...
United States, IN, Mitchell
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelator View Post
I don't think they're actually being sold yet, but from Alishamo's videos they look awesome. Perfect for people who just want an easy way to fly around at close range through video and don't really want to spent the time and money building an FPV system from scratch.
I kind of like that there's a learning curve and a price tag involved with flying FPV, I don't think that shortcuts like these will do the FPV community at large any favors.
At a time when FPV is coming under more and more scrutiny it would probably be better in many ways if it didn't become accessible for people who don't have a lot of time invested through research and practice, etc.

Some kid is going to crash his toy into traffic and cause a wreck or in some other way harm is going to come from people flying without knowing what they're doing and it's going to reflect poorly on the FPV community.

I understand that with it becoming something that you can buy at Walmart (figuratively speaking) also comes more acceptance from the public at large, but I think the cons outweigh the pros in this case.
nkkromhof is offline Find More Posts by nkkromhof
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Quad lover.
Joined Dec 2011
853 Posts
It's good for a sensible beginner. The bad thing about these is that some idiot is going to buy one for his 12 year old kid, which will probably spark the end of FPV.
A lot of western countries are happen to ban anything without thinking, I can think of loads of things that should have never been banned, we really don't want fpv to be the same.
chaosdestro0 is offline Find More Posts by chaosdestro0
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Common sense is the most precious commodity in the universe
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
It was inevitable that FPV will eventually become like this. Eventually FPV rtf helis etc will be churned out by china factories. I dont think its a good thing for the hobby because people wont understand anything about rf thats needed to get flying successfully.

The argument for this is that more people will get into FPV.

I presume these kits are transmitted on 2.4ghz for rc and 5.8ghz for video?
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:38 PM
NKK for short...
Joined Oct 2010
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcr001 View Post
I presume these kits are transmitted on 2.4ghz for rc and 5.8ghz for video?
Almost 100% sure, CBA to dig up the link to verify though.
Wonder if they kept the output within legal US/European limits on the 5.8ghz
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:00 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,435 Posts
Yes, 2.4ghz control, 5.8ghz video. Not sure of the power on either.

I know Alishanmo is going to be selling these directly, and it looks like there's a US dealer now at http://www.spyhawkfpv.com/.

Here's Alishanmo's tutorial on how to fly it FPV:
How to Fly FPV with FPV Spy Hawk Mini Glider (9 min 33 sec)

And here's one of SpyHawkFPV's videos:
SpyHawk FPV - First Flight (2 min 0 sec)

It's kind of cool that the same camera both sends the standard def video signal and records 720p HD. HD video looks comparable to a #11 keychain cam.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Yes, 2.4ghz control, 5.8ghz video. Not sure of the power on either.
Its bound to be 10mw 2.4ghz and 25mw on 5.8ghz. I'm sure they want to keep this all legal and accessable within pretty much everywhere around the globe. Although looking at recent threads this wouldent be allowed in canada because of 5.8ghz usage, kinda strange imo.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:09 PM
FPV Browncoat
Joined Mar 2011
1,435 Posts
Well if the video signal is only 25mw, I doubt it has enough range to worry about people getting themselves in too much trouble. It probably can't go beyond VLOS range anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Well if the video signal is only 25mw, I doubt it has enough range to worry about people getting themselves in too much trouble. It probably can't go beyond VLOS range anyway.
Park range is enough range to fly somewhere you shouldent be.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 01:37 AM
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,299 Posts
I saw this setup at Toledo this weekend and got on the list to buy one. I'm not an FPV'er yet but I am conversationally aware of the equipment/technical hurdles etc. that go with this end of the hobby. With that said, the thing looks pretty good for what it is intended to do. I was told it has a 2000 foot range as it comes, and they had goggles as an option. I tried them and they wouldn't work for me as my interpupillary distance (between my eyeballs) is too narrow for the goggles and all I got was a fuzzy half image.

The plane was offered in two versions, with or without stability augmentation. The plane with stability augmentation is $400, without was $300 IIRC. The goggles were $200.

After seeing this thing and where the hobby is headed, I want to get in early and move on to more capable things because I DO think these will end up places they aren't supposed to be. $400 isn't as large an obstacle for immature kids that it once was, and people are gonna do what people do.

Can't wait.
Dave Campbell is offline Find More Posts by Dave Campbell
Old Apr 18, 2012, 04:22 AM
Split S
United States, CA, Rancho Santa Margarita
Joined Jul 2006
2,010 Posts
The Lynx heli looks stable and easy to fly and maybe even durable. The Ali reviews show him flying it, and he lawn darted the thing but did not really break anything.....That was kind of a trip.
TimJohnson is offline Find More Posts by TimJohnson
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:20 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2010
61 Posts
i found this awesome video

Lynx RC helicopter with built in FPV system Outdoor Flight (2 min 55 sec)

Unboxing Lynx Helicopter with built in FPV System (5 min 35 sec)
youxif is offline Find More Posts by youxif
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
328 Posts
Honestly I'd only care to have the tx/ground station/ all in one thing and hack it to 1.3ghz. Overall I think it's just an expensive toy version of true spirited fpv. It's a taste of real fpv but if anything a gateway drug. Once you start realizing your limits, you'll want to push them.

Its a decent price for what it does I'll give it that but once you bump out of pocket cost up exponentially, you bump robustness and quality as well.

Just my 2.
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan