Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2013, 10:37 AM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Is there any info on anyone flying the wind 50 with a 4 stroke glow motor?

Don't want to start a nitro vs electric war as obviously electric is the way to go, but I do own 1 glow plane in my fleet (the rest are electrics and turbine) and the airframe is getting tired but I love how the engine performs

I think the wind 50 would be great with a .91 4 stroke (except for the obvious extra maintenance and cleaning) Has anyone tried one?
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:34 AM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
713 Posts
Hi,

SebArt used to sell glow conversion kits for the Angel 50; I wonder if they did the same for the wind. The Angel is a little lighter and I have seen two conversions, one used a OS 55 2-stroke and the other used a YS-63 4-stroke. The YS is a rather powerful engine, but I do not know how it would compare against a .90 sized 4-stroke; however, I would imagine that it is a little lighter.

The plane is lightly built so I am not sure of how long it would last using a .90 sized 4-stroke, but it is definitely doable. Hopefully, someone who has some actual experience can chime in.
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:22 AM
United States, MI, Saginaw Charter Township
Joined Feb 2007
112 Posts
There is a you tube video of someone flying one with a YS 70 size 4-stroke. I believe there is a kit to install a glow motor.
RCBRUSKI65 is online now Find More Posts by RCBRUSKI65
Old Jul 15, 2013, 07:37 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,169 Posts
I would contact the US importer/distributor for Sebart, ThunderPower RC in Las Vegas.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Jul 15, 2013, 02:07 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crasha View Post
Is there any info on anyone flying the wind 50 with a 4 stroke glow motor?

Don't want to start a nitro vs electric war as obviously electric is the way to go, but I do own 1 glow plane in my fleet (the rest are electrics and turbine) and the airframe is getting tired but I love how the engine performs

I think the wind 50 would be great with a .91 4 stroke (except for the obvious extra maintenance and cleaning) Has anyone tried one?
Hi,

Sebart has a glow conversion kit for Wind S 50E:
http://www.sebart.it/50E-class.html
(scroll down to Wind S 50E - Supporto motore a scoppio/ Glow engine mount)
Sebart list some suggestions for glow engines there also. Seems a .91 4-stroke may be some overpower for this plane but will probably work.
The glow conversion kit cost, according to Sebart 2013 price list, 20 Euro (= US $26).

The video of Wind S 50E with YS FZ70 4-stroke:
SebArt  WIND S 50E YS FZ70仕様.avi (4 min 36 sec)

I have a Wind S 50E myself (but with electric motor).

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Jul 15, 2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:48 PM
Terrain......PULL UP!!!
Joined Feb 2011
255 Posts
Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I went to order a wind 50 yesterday but the local importer has already sold their next shipment before they have even arrived!!

I ordered the sebach 50 instead which should work well with a few mods
crasha is offline Find More Posts by crasha
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:21 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
790 Posts
I bought the last one Nitrodude in Canberra had. WiredRC had one in stock. They are hard to come by. Your next plane eh.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:12 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
2,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
I bought the last one Nitrodude in Canberra had. WiredRC had one in stock. They are hard to come by. Your next plane eh.
Score!
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Aug 04, 2013, 05:38 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
What Scirocco said!

415 kv is too low for 5S setup on this plane. I'm running the O.S. 5020 490 kv and at the moment I have a 17 x 10 APC E on, with 5S. I have to check the power draw now since I upgraded to the O.S. 70 A ESC - it is definitely an improvement over the Plush 80.

I'm going to experiment with different props this summer. 16 x 12 is something I have to try but Aeronaut CAM Carbon gives endless opportunities for experimenting. For instance, the 16 x 10 blade set with 52 mm fork results into 16.5 " prop and the +2.5 and +5 degree forks allow adjusting pitch to 11" and 12".
Hi Finnspeed
After having a Wind 50 on order for 2 months I was eventually able to track one down with Scirocco's help. Now for the motor decision. OS is now top of my list and I am still keen on using 5S because I have a lot of this size battery. Did you do any more testing and have you decided what prop you consider best on 5S?

I watched Scirocco fly his on 6S with the OS5025 - 375 and it certainly has the power to have control through all his moves. Another guy at the club with the Hacker motor seems to have the same control but unfortunately he totaled his when he did one aileron roll too many and decked it very hard.

Thanks
Old Aug 04, 2013, 06:18 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
893 Posts
Yes I did do some more testing. Here's some numbers:

O.S. OCA-170HV ESC, Dualsky HED 4600 battery (cold)
17 x 10 APC E
18.0V 65A 6700rpm

Aeronaut CAM Carbon 16*10, 52mm (16,5 *10)
17.5V 68A 6500rpm

In these tests I used a somewhat cold battery since I store them in the refrigerator. The numbers with the O.S. ESC are very close to what I originally got with the Plush 80 ESC but the O.S. has adjustable brake, better throttle curve and somehow outputs constant power longer when the battery charge drops. I suspect that the Plush (settings: soft off, middle voltage) limits power too eagerly.

The 17 x 10 gives good calm wind performance even though I could use a bit more speed even then. Testing the Aeronaut CAM gave a bit surprising results since it draws slightly more current than the bigger APC E. Checking the factory prop charts for the CAM Carbon series revealed the reason: For the 16 x 10 blade set the actual pitch is slightly over 11" and not 10"!

I did a flight test too and really liked the performance and speed of the CAM Carbon. It is definitely better and since it is very light I can use a 5000 mAh, higher C battery without CG problems (my plane has pull-pull for the rudder and I try to keep it light).

Once my hand heals enough (broke the left wrist in a bicycle accident ), I'm going to continue testing with a 5000 mAh 30C Zippy battery. I suspect the max current will then be slightly over 70 A which should mean ~1300 - 1400 W of input power.

The only concern with the CAM Carbon is the steady state noise which is a loud flute like sound at max rpm. I suspect the air intake holes on the cowling start resonating somehow since I feel no vibration from the motor or prop, it runs very smoothly. It could be prop tip stalling also but I don't really know. Once the plane starts moving, the sound disappears and does not appear during flying.
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Aug 05, 2013, 05:51 AM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
790 Posts
Thanks for that Finnspeed. Sorry to hear about your broken wrist. It sounds like you had the classic skiing break but on a bike.

I am interested in your use of a folding prop. What brake are you using? I would have thought the loss of the prop braking effect on any vertical down maneuver would have been a disadvantage or am I missing something.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:01 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
893 Posts
Thanks.

At the moment the brake is at 30% setting which was perfect for the 17" prop. I may adjust it a bit up for the CAM. No, braking is not a problem with the folding prop unless you use the max setting (or close to max) that completely stops rotation.

***Risto***
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Last edited by Finnspeed; Aug 05, 2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old Aug 05, 2013, 05:20 PM
A geriatric flier
Joined Nov 2008
790 Posts
Thanks Finnspeed. I think there could be a lot more discussion on the use of motor brake in F3A. I went to a competition recently and noted some competitors were using multiple brake settings, and multiple delay settings all of which I did not fully understand. It appeared the favorite ESC to do this was Jeti.( It was going to this competition which started my interest in F3A.) All of the ESC's I have used todate only provide for hard, soft or no brake and some do allow for a delay.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 07:00 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,169 Posts
The Jeti Mezon ESC's are very nice units. Integrated telemetry, std and "light" versions.

I am trying to find the right plane to install one in. Perhaps my Miss Wind 50e biplane which I am hoping to build this winter.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Aug 06, 2013, 04:45 AM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,100 Posts
Itc,
Yes Jeti/Hacker Master Mezon ESC is great and brake is user adjustable with various settings. It do not have proportiotional brake but I do not think there is many ESC that can do that. Schulze had ESC that could do it, YGE and Kontronik has also ESC with such brake. Most ESC has only on/of brake with settings for strenght and delays.

I have a Master Mezon ESC with BEC myself in my Sebart MythoS 125E and so far no problem (after about 200 flight by now). I use the brake. My break setting that I use that suits me, see picture below.

/Bo
bossee is online now Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Aug 06, 2013 at 05:00 AM.