HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
Yes, for what I was doing. I did not do a finish pass, just the rough. The camera really magnified the finish, it is smoother than it looks.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2013, 08:48 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
Made some cam clamps, to do some surface milling on thin parts. Fairly happy. I have been getting a little tilting on some parts with sides that are not quite vertical. Tilts as its being clamped, but stays in place as the clamps grab with quite a bit of force.
I have an idea on taking a little material off the upper part of the cam, and remove some material from the lower part of the backing plate. I think that will give some more downforce. So far these clamps have been the best ones I have used for side clamping.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:06 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I used an O-ring as a test to see if placing the clamping force lower will help prevent part rise. It works fairly well. If the part rises as its clamped a slight hammer tap sets it back down. When I have time I plan to make some clamps with wedges so it moves down more as it clamps.
Old Jun 03, 2013, 04:36 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I was wondering if anyone out there has some of these Light Machines quick change tool holders. Found the pictures on the internet. I have the R8 adapter but none of the holders. If so how well do they work.
If they are good I might try, and make a few. I'll need to figure out the dimensions.
Last edited by Roto Rob; Jun 03, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2013, 04:30 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I have been using HSMAdvisor for my feeds, and speeds calculator. It also lists depth of cut, and step overs. I'm getting great results. The feeds, and speeds built into my Cam software are too aggressive, and break the endmill to often. Have not broke an endmill since I started using the HSMsdvisor software. I have a grocery bag full of chips from one uncoated HSS 3/16 endmill, and was still cutting like new. I finally broke it when I did something stupid, and a part rotated under the clamp. Jamming the part into the endmill.
http://zero-divide.net/index.php?page=FrontPage
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
prolight 2500

I recently picked up a light machines 2500 (the difference with a 2000 is a 42,000 rpm spindle). It hasn't been used for several years but it was used gently when in service. I don't see much for help on the internet for this machine and was hoping to get this up and running and thought you could provide some advice. I have an old laptop running windows vista and can get a dos window open and have loaded the software. The connections however are not straight forward, I have an RS232 to plug in to the mill and have to use a gender changer to attach it to the 25 pin output of the computer. One question I have is should I try to connect using an adapter to the 9 pin output instead? I am not sure the machine even connects with the computer - when I power it up, I get a message to "stop" on control screen.
milldalton is offline Find More Posts by milldalton
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:05 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
I'll have to think about computer history. If I remember correctly, DB25 serial ports on computers generally have male connectors, while parallel port connectors are DB25 female plugs. So, your probably trying to plug it into a parallel port on the computer. I use a DB25 cable with an adapter to DB9. I have found cables premade with DB25 on one end, and DB9 on the other. There are several versions, on how they are connected. I'll have to check mine in the morning since I forget which one it is.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 08:00 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Turns out there are a few types of DB9 to DB25 cables and I had the wrong type (null modem). After researching and sourcing an adapter to use with the standard 25 to 25 cable, I established communication and was able to manually move each of the steppers. The issue now is with the spindle drive. The drive controller displays an "error 12" message. I'm curious if you have any advice on sourcing some documentation or tech support.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 04:26 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
My adapter is what is called a Straight Through DB 25 to DB 9.
Inteliteks phone number is 1-800-221-2763. I don't know if they have much info on the older models. Would be nice to know what the error code means. There parts are rather expensive. The electronics are industry standard parts, so can be obtained elsewhere. The only difficult parts are the Animatics, and LMC servo control since they are long out of production. If those controllers go bad its probably time to put modern controllers in. I have seen them show up on ebay.
Did you test it with the front panel switch in Manual, and CNC modes. In Manual mode the knob controls the rpm, and the computer turns it on, and off. In CNC mode the computer controls rpm, and on/off. Does the error come up when the spindle is turned on, or right away? Are you using the PLM2000 software?
The motor control on my 2000 is a little complicated. I think the 2500 uses the same parts. I think it would be fairly easy to test each part.
For power there is a fuse, and two relays, and 2 large resistors. I would test the fuse, relays, and then check the Minarik motor control to see if its getting a signal.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 02:50 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Straight through cable is on its way. The Animatics are fine, thankfully. The spindle control is housed in a additional box added to the side of the back frame - it is a Lumi Drive, FU2000 (ironic name). When powering up, the LCD screen on the drive shows that it starts a "Test" routine, after which it returns the "Err 12" message (before the spindle can turn on, I suspect a bad fuse or relay, but I don't know why). Calling Intelitek now, will let you know how it goes. It does the same in manual and CNC.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
That must be very different than mine. Error 12 is overload greater that 150%. I did not read all the manual, but looks like the setting is programmable. Or the motor might be frozen up or have a bad winding. I have only seen one other 2500. I don't remember seeing a frequency inverter on it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:36 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Thanks for the manual, that is helpful to say the least. Intelitek was not much help as they didn't have a manual. (I am running PLM2000 software) When starting up in "manual" mode the error comes up right away, when starting up in CNC mode, the error appears when the spindle is instructed to turn on. Sounds like you were heading in the right direction. The tool spins just fine and quite easily - do you know of a way to test the motor?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Error code solved! - turns out the safety proximity switch on the lexan cover had come loose and wasn't making a connection so the machine thought the guard was not in place. With that solved, no error codes come up, however in both manual and CNC I can not get the spindle to turn on, so I'm not quite to finish line.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2013
11 Posts
Spoke too quickly, I was actually backwards with the error message in that you can't get it if the guard is open and this is what I did by mistake. With safety switch properly in place, I am now getting the err12 message when trying to switch the motor on - back to square one.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 02:51 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,224 Posts
Would be nice to know if it worked as its now configured. I'm suspecting that the Fu2000 was added. I would start with seeing if the Fu2000 is wired properly. I don't think the control signal from my 2000 would work with the FU2000. But my machine is 115V, not a 220V machine like I suspect your is. So not sure how they adapted it.
There are many ways to test a 3 phase motor. I'll assume it is a 3 phase due to having the FU2000. I would check the motor type, they usually have a data plate on them. This is a basic start, for a non operational situation. http://www.pcbheaven.com/userpages/c...hase_ac_motor/
I would be interested in pictures, if you feel like posting them.
There are several version of the FU series, might have a plate with the whole part or model number. Some look to be rated a little under the power needed.