HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:10 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
Oooh, nice pic, Robert209! Is it a "genuine" Syma? What's the revision on the PCB? Just randomly curious 'cos if it flies well, that's good enough for me!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
Oooh, nice pic, Robert209! Is it a "genuine" Syma? What's the revision on the PCB? Just randomly curious 'cos if it flies well, that's good enough for me!
Well to be honest i looked at how to spot a fake and it passed lol But I am new to this so I guess I could have gotten scammed. The box was legit well made flys good, I got it from rctoysvillage on amazon but on the site right now they have 10% of with the code thankyou. It looks better in person but the pic says it all can't wait to add some CF to make it stand out a bit more. Paid 27.99 shipped 2days to get came with replacement parts a lot of them the ones that normally break i guess, wall charger, USB charger & screw driver. I think overall I got a good deal compared to eBay deals. Where do I look for the PCB? is that the main board number? It is a S107g all try & look up PCB so I know where to find it
Robert209 is offline Find More Posts by Robert209
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
my black series is an r5... have you ever seen an r12? ive heard rumors but never actually seen a pic of one
wannabe_pilot is offline Find More Posts by wannabe_pilot
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
S107 pcb

Here are a couple of pics on the PCB and how you find it in the helicopter. Mine says "S107R5".
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
Yea that's how mine looks. Same numbers and letters. The board color has to be red or do they very? Mine has a diff color board but i am color blind red lol
Last edited by Robert209; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
Heres a few more pics
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
okay here a better pic of the PCB
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
Excellent pictures, Robert. Yes, that's the R5 PCB alright. And yes, I have heard that Syma has started using a different color for their R5 boards. I'm not sure what to call that yellow-orange color. "Pumpkin", maybe?
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
I was worried for a second i hate not buying the original products. It looks good and flys good. Im still learning so im guessing to you guys it would seem better. My picoo-z blades should be arriving soon. So cant wait to see what that does
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Here are a couple of pics on the PCB and how you find it in the helicopter. Mine says "S107R5".
humm, Getto Bird checkin in with an S107R5 also....Soooo these "picoo-z blades" I take it is the replacement blade of choice maybe???
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getto Bird View Post
humm, Getto Bird checkin in with an S107R5 also....Soooo these "picoo-z blades" I take it is the replacement blade of choice maybe???
Yes, and No. The answer depends on what you're looking for in your S107. The PicooZ blades pushes a lot of air in one direction, and virtually none in the other direction. The blades pitches in the opposite direction as the S107. Therefore, people would rotate the tail boom 180. When it is mounted like that, it pushes a lot of air down, therefore, giving the S107 a speed boost. However, it also means that you're now getting zero reverse flight.

Personally, I don't use them for 2 reasons. (1) I don't want to destroy that S107 look. Having a tail rotor point down is just not pleasing to me. (2) More importantly, I like to fly my S107 with precision. That means full control on FFF and REV flights. Having forward only seems taking away half a channel from the 3 channel helicopter and leaving it with 2.5 channels.

But if speed is your thing, you might enjoy it. Just understand the trade-offs before you sign up for it. But if you don't like it, you could always rotate the boom back and put the original stock rotors on. You could try before you decide. Just a few bucks of investment.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:20 PM
Joined Jun 2012
15 Posts
Thanks for making me realize I just blew 5.75 shipped on 6 blades lol. I never thought about those things until you brought it up. I guess I can try it and see what the hype is about than go back to stock
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,638 Posts
@Robert209 : (and well, to everyone else in this thread) I apologize for propagating the idea that "genuine" symas are the only good ones. I stand by my statement that if it flies well and is can be maintained easily then that's all that matters. It seems that even among the "genuine" symas, there are variations in color design that seem to be "value added"(???) features, like these new symas on Amazon. These don't show up (AFAIK) on the official syma web sites, so I'm curious as to where they come from. However, I figure that as long as the PCB is S107R5 you're guaranteed functionality. Attractive canopies and blade colors are just a bonus.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Jun 2012
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Yes, and No. The answer depends on what you're looking for in your S107. The PicooZ blades pushes a lot of air in one direction, and virtually none in the other direction. The blades pitches in the opposite direction as the S107. Therefore, people would rotate the tail boom 180. When it is mounted like that, it pushes a lot of air down, therefore, giving the S107 a speed boost. However, it also means that you're now getting zero reverse flight.

Personally, I don't use them for 2 reasons. (1) I don't want to destroy that S107 look. Having a tail rotor point down is just not pleasing to me. (2) More importantly, I like to fly my S107 with precision. That means full control on FFF and REV flights. Having forward only seems taking away half a channel from the 3 channel helicopter and leaving it with 2.5 channels.

But if speed is your thing, you might enjoy it. Just understand the trade-offs before you sign up for it. But if you don't like it, you could always rotate the boom back and put the original stock rotors on. You could try before you decide. Just a few bucks of investment.
Ahh I see, thanks HP for the break down on the PicooZ blades. As of now, precison is my way of flying also. But its good to know down road when theres a "Need for Speed", this is the way to go
My main blades are basically cool for now, but maybe on the next order, I'll get along with the original color, get some black ones...

-Rick
Getto Bird is offline Find More Posts by Getto Bird
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,165 Posts
The PicooZ mod doesn't get around because it is worthless. If you have the need for speed, you might go that route. I have seen modded S107 so fast that it will strike its own blades and fall out of the sky. What's the fun in that? So, I'm done for speed. There is only so much speed you could get for an IR control coaxial that is designed to fly indoors, before you have to put on the brakes. Am I making sense?

If speed is what you want, you ought to eventually look somewhere else where it could fly outdoor for some elbow room and enjoy that speed. IMHO, IR coaxial just doesn't have the main ingredients for that kind of flying. But that's just me. I am here to discuss facts, and not to step on anyone who wants speed.

To me, my S107 gives me the most enjoyable, relax, and precise indoor flying. I'm not afraid to take it to the hospital with me to cheer someone up there. Would I do that with some of my other outdoor flyers? Nooooo. So, I love my S107 for what it is for. So, I don't go crazy in modding it.