HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which DW do/have you own/owned?
DW 28" kit 61 10.55%
DW SKUA 28 4.84%
DW 38" kit 173 29.93%
DW 48" kit 153 26.47%
DW 55" kit 70 12.11%
DW Pylon Racer 9 1.56%
Never owned one 205 35.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 578. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2011
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
Is there any alternative prop than the 8x6 slowfly for the 28in models. One with a little less power?
or you could program it on your radio(for example for 100% to 80%) that way your set up would run cooler and you would pull less amps,not to mention longer flight time
santiago3d92095 is offline Find More Posts by santiago3d92095
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 09:03 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dRCrazy View Post
Is there any alternative prop than the 8x6 slowfly for the 28in models. One with a little less power?
Why would you want less power?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,478 Posts
Less power often makes the powerband easier to manage finite adjustments. So it's easier to get just a 'little bit' more throttle when you want it.

It IS possible to have too much power in these airplanes.
Doug Cronkhite is offline Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
Alabaster AL
Joined Aug 2006
791 Posts
I would agree to a point. I have a BAF Juka with the recommended Scorpian motor. It has insane power, as do most of my foamies but it is easy to control with the left stick. If you have trouble with the left stick, then you probably have the same issue with the rudder. If you can't control both, your in trouble.

Now that being said, the power needs to be linear, so be sure and set you end points correctly on the ESC.

I would rather have the extra power by pushing up the left stick then go to the stops and not have enough. It just takes burning milliamps to learn and get the technique down.

RCNXS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post
Less power often makes the powerband easier to manage finite adjustments. So it's easier to get just a 'little bit' more throttle when you want it.

rcnxs is offline Find More Posts by rcnxs
Old Jun 27, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcronkhite View Post

I can understand that to an extent. My 38" Yak has almost trainer-like power levels, and I feel like flying 3D at such low power made me a better pilot.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:18 AM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
Ok, I finished the Juka but its tail heavy. Is the C.G. From D.W. pretty close? I moved the ESC all the way up and the battery (1300mah) right to the motor mount and I'm very close to 1/2" behind the spar. It came with a Turnigy ESC, but I don't care for it. It does not seem to have very smooth throttle response . If I want to have some real fun later , it will need longer servo arms also.

Andy
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,563 Posts
"trainer like power levels" I agree. I just got a 39 inch DW Foamy YAK 54 two weeks ago. I have already over 20 flights on it and have been able to do most every 3D stunt with it right out of the chute that I have been practicing on the Real Flight Sim. Last Sunday when I re-launched my Radian Pro Glider for the first time in almost a year it seemed so much less daunting to fly. The Foamy has taught me so much in just this short amount of time that I would agree that it is almost like a trainer plane.
foamyflyerr is online now Find More Posts by foamyflyerr
Old Jun 30, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foamyflyerr View Post
"trainer like power levels" I agree.
FWIW, I fly my 38" Yak on a Park 370 (might be a 400...don't have the plane in the same state to have a look at, lol). Either way, it's less power than the plane is spec'ed for. It can hover, but just barely--and don't even think of trying to punch it out.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJsToyz View Post
Ok, I finished the Juka but its tail heavy. Is the C.G. From D.W. pretty close? I moved the ESC all the way up and the battery (1300mah) right to the motor mount and I'm very close to 1/2" behind the spar. It came with a Turnigy ESC, but I don't care for it. It does not seem to have very smooth throttle response . If I want to have some real fun later , it will need longer servo arms also.

Andy
The CG on my Juka is set for level flight both upright and inverted. I think I read that in the manual somewhere. Just remember CG is kind of a personal preference. Some like it more forward and others more to the rear.
Mugen4Lfe is offline Find More Posts by Mugen4Lfe
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:39 AM
United States, MI, Maybee
Joined Feb 2010
68 Posts
I totally understand that ( have quite a few planes ) the question is, "is the CG in the manual pretty close or accurate for starts?" If I don't have the battery and esc all the way at the motor the plane is extremely tail heavy.
AJsToyz is offline Find More Posts by AJsToyz
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Johninarky
Rogers,Arkansas
Joined Jul 2005
170 Posts
Quote:
I totally understand that ( have quite a few planes ) the question is, "is the CG in the manual pretty close or accurate for starts?" If I don't have the battery and esc all the way at the motor the plane is extremely tail heavy.
I have 3 DW 40" planes and all are neutral if I balance 1/2 behind spar as the manual calls for. The 40" Yak has a Hacker 2020L, The Extra has a Hacker 3028S or a Rocket 3010 and all fly with 1000 mah Sky lipo's.
John
jlremr is online now Find More Posts by jlremr
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:37 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,100 Posts
Quote:
Yes the CG that Mike has called out is definetly OK, to go with as a starting point.

Mike R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jun 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Close enough
United States, NM, Los Alamos
Joined Jun 2008
842 Posts
Quote:
Just a thought, but maybe you can look at the placement of the rudder and elevator servos. Moving them forward gives a pretty big bang for the buck because of the long moment arm back at the tail.

Marc
AtomicFlyer is offline Find More Posts by AtomicFlyer
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Seattle, WA - USA
Joined Sep 2003
3,234 Posts
Killer Auroras for your foamy

If you have seen the Aurora lights, you know what I'm talking about. They are pricey, so I made my own version which I show on this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=7994

The end result (the picture doesn't do the brightness justice!)

Happy 24hr flying!
mark_q is online now Find More Posts by mark_q
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,569 Posts
crashed my beloved 40 Juka into a chain link fence at a soccer turf field this morning trying to come out of a low roller. Ripped off the nose section again including firewall. I think it might be time to retire it and build the back up 40 Juka kit that's been patiently waiting in the garage. It had been rebuilt about 4 or 5 times with nearly two bottles of CA in it. It will be missed.
DenverJayhawk is online now Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk