Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
2A676
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Need a bit of help finding my first plane

New to the forums but not at all new to RC. First started flying 20 years ago and started collecting RC cars when I no longer had a place to fly. I doubt I'll ever get rid of my 1/5 buggy....

Now that I am moving back to home (open farmland) I will be getting back into flying and wanted to get something reminiscent of my first plane, a Hobbico Sturdy Birdy, so that my kids can learn to fly. Now I can't find any kits around but do occasionally see Duraplane trainers. Long story short, I'm hoping I can get a line on A Duraplane Trainer 40 kit with the idea to convert it to electric. Thanks in advance.

Will
dark_side is offline Find More Posts by dark_side
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
My uncle has a duraplane. He loves it, but his wing spar broke and I am not sure he will fix it as he has a family now and a time consuming job. You might want to check out www.spadtothebone.net they used basically the same concepts as a duraplane, just made out of supplies you can get at a local Home Depot, Lowes, or what have you. As far as the electric, I used to think they were worthless, but after I got one, I now see that they have their place. I would recommend both if you have the money to get setup with both.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Today, 08:54 AM
2A676
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
Kyle, thanks but I grew up on nitro and have no need to drive 2 hours to get a gallon of of the stuff for a bit of fun when electric is simply easier. I have checked into the Spads and see that they are virtually the same idea.
dark_side is offline Find More Posts by dark_side
Old Today, 11:36 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,243 Posts
the problem with building a plane too crash, is that they usually do! "crash"

if I where you, and I ain't, I assume since you where into cars, you have the stuff for going electric as in chargers n such! so no argue there!

but I would get something like the SIG Kadet Lt 25, and do the electric conversion on it!

a lighter plane, is easier too learn on, and less likely too meet earth in a bad manor!

we have a Kadet Lt conversion at our field, and she fly's really nice!

build it four channel and she will give you and your kids, years of enjoyment!

P.s. if your not into building, then the H9 Alpha E version would be a good alternative!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's