HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2014, 05:32 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
Which would be better to learn on...a Whippit or Burky? Seems that at least with the simplicity of the build, the Whippit might be the better one... And how do I get a set of plans for the Whippit?

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2014, 08:49 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,169 Posts
Steve :
If you send Rich a email or private message he will set you up with what ever you need. He also checks the threads pretty much daily so he may pick up on the request. :

hay Rich someone wants prints !!

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2014, 02:26 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
LOL!!!!

But again, which would be best for a first AG?? I thought I had sent him a PM previously but maybe not, so will do so ...

Oh...and I have Burky plans, need to get a set of Whippit plans.....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; May 15, 2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old May 15, 2014, 04:40 PM
Joined Jan 2013
102 Posts
Have not tried a Burky but I think the Whippit is fantastic, flying Rich's really gave me the confidence to go solo

Steve
106flyer is offline Find More Posts by 106flyer
Old May 15, 2014, 05:29 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
Steve, if you're brand new to gyros, you might try a Twirl first...very nice, easy flyer and will get you hooked...then you might build a Gary Jones AG-3 (or -4 now) for the trip to a single rotor. It's a great little flyer, very easy to build and repair. It's a little more forgiving, seems to me, because the rotor is single-axis, roll-only. Pitch is handled by elevator. It lets it fly a little more like a fixed-wing in that if the rotor slows (or even stops or reverses), the elevator and rudder can save it. It's actually pretty aerobatic. As to Whippit/Burky, since the Whippit is profile, it might be easier to build and just possibly tougher and more easily repaired than the Burky. It looks to me like it might be the way to go, given that choice.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old May 15, 2014, 06:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
I am 63 years old, and started building when models (that actually successfully flew) when I was eight years old, so the building part on any of them doesn't scare me. It just looks like the Whippit might be a little easier to repair if crashed. and I also think that with a very small bit of carbon fiber running the length of the fuselage, may be "fairly" bullet proof, with the exception of the head which I understand can break fairly easily, but I have a fair machine shop in my garage (see my blog) and could make parts if need be.

One thing I have going in my favor is one of the AG forum members "SkyDanze" is a good friend of mine and he can help me out. For that matter, I already have a Whirlybird Aviation profile Kellett, but I think I will hang on to it until I have acquired at least some modicum of AG flying skills. I don't know if RC helicopter skills will help with AG's but I have flown them off and on since 1972 (when there were no gyros or collective pitch or computer radios), and was fairly competent with them, and of course I fly fixed wing aircraft now ay which I do ok....mostly sport with some 3D thrown in...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2014, 03:47 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,048 Posts
@ Steve,

get ready for an ‘interesting journey’……….. Hely experience, will it help??? Yes and no, you will use your rudder stick to push the tail around more than with planks but these Baby’s certainly are a class of their own.

Whippit, Burky or Twirl??? Easy answer, Crane Fly

I personally think that you would do fine with all of them and there are probably another 2 or 3 suitable candidates out there, I currently fly Burky, Crane Fly, Monotwirl and Spyro and have ‘only’ been flying AGs for just over a year but this is on the back of 30 years flying planks and 20 years flying Helys.

Monotwirl flies very, very well for a Depron model but limited when the wind comes up. Surprisingly stable in the air and flies pretty slowly but as she is quite small you can ‘loose’ her shape (and orientation) quite quickly. Easy to fix but more likely to be damaged if you do have a whoopsy.
Burky is just so gentle, easy and forgiving to fly that it’s like one of the modern foam powered gliders (ONCE you get used to how to control an AG). A real floater which is big enough and slow enough to give you time to think. Not broken mine yet but foam is easy to glue together however the finished product does seem to be pretty tough.
Crane Fly is an interesting but simple build, flies like it’s on rails and actually it is probably more interesting to fly that the previous 2 models. This is because you can loop and roll her without too much trouble and she has a wider speed range.
Spyro is great fun but can be a bit of a hand full, small size pusher needs more stick input (I find) and are more critical in the set-up. Once you get used to her and set-up properly she is also pretty stable, interesting to fly and looks cool in the air.

I really don't have favourite out of my bunch and pretty much fly them all depending upon mood, weather and whichever battery packs are charged.

At the moment I am looking at building a Whippit, looks funky and fun……

I hope that this helps,

Paul

PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old May 16, 2014, 02:18 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
Rudder??? What's that???

No, seriously, due to flying Heli's for many years, I definitely use my rudder even when flying fixed wing....

And I agree that the Whippit looks cool, and also very easily repaired or replaced if my thumbs get dumb...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; May 16, 2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old May 16, 2014, 02:27 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,048 Posts
On the other hand, stop wasting your time commenting on here and build 'em all
Old May 16, 2014, 02:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
I need a set of Whippit plans....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2014, 03:09 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,169 Posts
I say Rich this guy wants whippit prints

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2014, 04:56 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
Ok...I'm going to be quite about this...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 16, 2014, 05:40 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,169 Posts
Steve:
I have spoken to Rich and he is on a trip and will see to your needs when he returns.
Sorry if I made things uncomfortable but that's the way I roll.
If I was going to build a beginner Autogyro I would go with the whippit, I am making mine out of 1" blue foam for the center of the fus. With the fan fold pink foam for the cheeks and elevator and rudder. You will see what I mean when you get the prints.
Stay tuned to the whippit thread to get more ideas ect.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mud Duck Bill; May 16, 2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old May 16, 2014, 06:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
25,887 Posts
Yes, I saw the photos of yours with the pink sides in the Whippit thread, (I thought about saying something in jest, but other than from my few posts you don't know me, and I don't know you, so I didn't want to upset you, so I didn't.) but as noted to me, this one seems to be the best one for ease of construction and repairability . BTW... I really like the "Mantis" also, but as it is wood, I figure this one not so much for a beginner, nor would the Panther (for which I have a set of plans)...

And yes, I probably should have been asking about this on the Whippit thread, but my original question was which one would be best..

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; May 16, 2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 17, 2014, 03:54 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,048 Posts
Woo Hoo, loverrrrrrrrrrrrrly summer evening kind of weather, rained for about 2 - 3 weeks (and B**** windy) but tonight was just peachy, made even better by having my Burky with me

Four really, really nice gentle low level floating around the field flights. Sweet.

Now to sort out why my Trex 500 decided to mess me around