HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:20 PM
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Aug 2010
14 Posts
Cool
Very small glider

Several years ago I watched a program on the teevee that was about a very small glider that could fly above a person as they walked. It would fly on the wave a person created as they walked along or in similar situations. It was very light weight, of course, and of a special design. I think the designer copyrighted the design and tried to go commercial. The commercial venture was ultimately unsuccessful. I would like to get a plan sheet or a working model. I think it has tremendous value in an educational situation. Anyone that can give me a lead or other assistance in finding the ultimate source would be appreciated.
Geagle is offline Find More Posts by Geagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
Google "Walkalong Gliders". Also check out web sites on "free-flight gliders". Tyler McReady on you tube.

These things are usually "flying wing" designs as they have the best design economy. I've made them from phone book paper, which I figure is the cheapest and most plentiful aircraft building material in existence.

I've also had good luck using foam pie plates with "lightening holes" cut into them that were then covered with very light tissue paper or plastic bag film.

Good luck! They are fun and educational to boot.
dayhead is offline Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:42 PM
Herk
Virginia USA
Joined Jun 2007
1,630 Posts
Windrider's Wind Rider ground effect walkalone glider (1 min 32 sec)
HerkS is offline Find More Posts by HerkS
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:50 PM
SlingWinger
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
That is Tyler MacReady's design, a very good one indeed. His father, Paul, (R.I.P.) started Aerovironment and designed the "Gossamer Condor/Albatross" human powered airplanes.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:23 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,394 Posts
Geagle,

Here is one that you can build. It is very simple and flies very nicely.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:27 AM
SlingWinger
Joined Oct 2004
1,629 Posts
Part 2 Surf an Origami Hang Glider on a Wave of Air CONSTRUCTION revised 8 10 (10 min 9 sec)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Tumblewings are easiest to begin with.

I'd begin with tumblewing walkalong gliders as they require the least amount of trim. The walkalong glider book Build and Pilot Your Own Walkalong Gliders has a nice experiment in chapter 1 (I think it's part of the free download on amazon.com) on wing loading where you make tumblewings out of various weight paper and you can actually feel how much faster you have to run to keep a heavier tumblewing flying.
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:49 PM
Joined Aug 2003
141 Posts
Science Toy Maker's Video on Big Mouth Tumblewing

Here's an awesome video on the tumblewings. Tumblewings have a lower wing loading than normal non spinning paper planes because they don't need a ballast and make maximal use of the area of the paper (instead of needing to fold it over on itself, doubling the wing loading).
Big Mouth Tumblewing: Make and Fly (9 min 50 sec)

Science Toy Maker also makes very thin sliced foam which results in the slowest gliders. He is selling it now through his school web page.

Here's a video of a flight of an ultra light glider made from thin (0.6 mm) sliced styrofoam:
Wide Angle View of Walkalong Glider Flight (0 min 27 sec)

The glider material is so light you can use a regular strip of copier paper as ballast!
x-surfer is offline Find More Posts by x-surfer
Last edited by x-surfer; Feb 24, 2013 at 08:59 PM.