HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 09:06 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Feb 2014
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griphin View Post
Did you flatten the wing? I've got mine on the bench now repairing it due to a dumb thumbs incident.
Yes I removed all dihedral from the wing. I cut a channel for the spar and glued it with gorilla glue. Then I put some sand bags on the wing while the glue dried. Heres a couple more pics, you can tell I flattened the wing....

Name: IMG_1489.jpg
Views: 11
Size: 536.0 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1491.jpg
Views: 12
Size: 547.2 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_1494.jpg
Views: 10
Size: 640.8 KB
Description:
bansheerider is online now Find More Posts by bansheerider
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 11:03 AM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,074 Posts
Took my Super Cub to the field this morning, remember reading posts about using a popsicle stick under the rear of wing. Tried this and it seemed to really improve the handling of the plane. Didn't seem to want to be climbing all the time.
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Radian Sailplane, next project
Old Today, 12:36 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Feb 2014
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc View Post
Took my Super Cub to the field this morning, remember reading posts about using a popsicle stick under the rear of wing. Tried this and it seemed to really improve the handling of the plane. Didn't seem to want to be climbing all the time.
That mod has nothing to do with handling of the plane. Unless your CG was off and that wood stick added a bit of weight in the right spot. Or you changed the positioning of the wing with the wood stick, which is not the purpose of that mod.
bansheerider is online now Find More Posts by bansheerider
Old Today, 12:47 PM
United States, AK, Homer
Joined Jan 2014
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheerider View Post
That mod has nothing to do with handling of the plane. Unless your CG was off and that wood stick added a bit of weight in the right spot. Or you changed the positioning of the wing with the wood stick, which is not the purpose of that mod.
There are 2 mods relating to popsicle sticks in the wing saddle. One strengthening the rear of the wing saddle, and another putting a popsicle stick under the trailing edge of the wing to change its angle.
It sounds like he did the latter, which would likely change its flight characteristics, and give the plane less tendency to climb.
I did it to mine, and it had the same effect.
AlaskaTom is offline Find More Posts by AlaskaTom
Old Today, 12:59 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2011
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaTom View Post
... and another putting a popsicle stick under the trailing edge of the wing to change its angle.
It sounds like he did the latter, which would likely change its flight characteristics, and give the plane less tendency to climb.
I did it to mine, and it had the same effect.
decalage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decalage

"Decalage angle can also refer to the difference in angle of the chord line of the wing and the chord line of the horizontal stabilizer."
North_of_49 is online now Find More Posts by North_of_49
RCG Plus Member