SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by AndrewsJr
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2001
491 Posts
Discussion
Current LiPo shipping regs

I realize that has been probably discussed extensively before but since the rules are constantly changing I'm looking for the latest info.

I need to ship 2 DJI Phantom2 batteries (5200/3s 58Whrs ea) What carrier is the easiest to work with UPS, DHL, FeDex, USPS etc? and what are the rules on size, packaging and declaration at the time of shipping?

Thanks,
Jon.
AndrewsJr is offline Find More Posts by AndrewsJr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by Vodarac
Eyes on the sky.
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2015
218 Posts
I shipped USPS, flat rate box recently. Sold two helis with batteries. They asked me if certain things were in there including batteries, I told them yes, They asked if it was fragile, I told them yes, they didn't ask any more questions, shipped my package and I went on my way.
Vodarac is offline Find More Posts by Vodarac
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by vollrathd
Joined Jan 2007
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsJr View Post
I realize that has been probably discussed extensively before but since the rules are constantly changing I'm looking for the latest info.

I need to ship 2 DJI Phantom2 batteries (5200/3s 58Whrs ea) What carrier is the easiest to work with UPS, DHL, FeDex, USPS etc? and what are the rules on size, packaging and declaration at the time of shipping?

Thanks,
Jon.
I just shipped a LiPo in a box through USPS last week. USPS asked if the battery was installed in the unit (Like a cell phone or similar) or if it was loose in the package. The battery was loose in the package, surrounded by 3 inches of bubble wrap.

When asked, USPS indicated that because the battery was "loose" it could not ship by air, and had to go by ground shipping.

And, away it went, by ground shipping. No problems what so ever.
vollrathd is offline Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Apr 24, 2015, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by CreepyCrawl
Obsessed with the details.
United States, NH
Joined Apr 2013
151 Posts
USPS has a hefty reference book for their employees that seems about as useless as a knife at a gun fight.

Quick story...

I live in a small town and know my guy very well, thus I'm always honest about what I'm mailing. A couple weeks ago, I shipped one small box with some Tamiya paint and it took him almost ten minutes (no exaggeration) of going back and forth through this book to figure out whether or not it was acceptable to ship, and how.

There's a chart in this book specific to mailing volatile items such as paints, that gives a "temperature window" which determines whether or not it can be shipped at that time based on the ambient outside temp that the package will be exposed to! In the end, they stamped it with an ORMD label and it went on its merry way...in the same state mind you.

Anyway, I've shipped Lipo's before and have always been honest in doing so. I was told that you can ship them ground, but not by air. Honestly though, I really think it depends on the person you deal with. They all seem to have different interpratations of the guidelines, but based on what I saw that day, I can't say that I blame them.
CreepyCrawl is offline Find More Posts by CreepyCrawl