Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by girarcat View Post
How could I check the antenna?
Thanks!
A careful visual inspection is your best option. Open the receiver case and follow the antenna wire back to where it is soldered. Doing the same on the transmitter is worthwhile. Poorly soldered connections could also be part of the problem.

The Turnigy 9X is a terrible radio when used with the stock module or original firmware. The receiver antenna seems to be designed to break very easily. The stock firmware is painful to use.

I have a couple of 9X radios and did try using one of them with the stock module (a few years ago) for a while but it was far too unreliable. The antenna on one receiver was broken at the point is passes into the plastic case. Not obvious until you open the case and take a close look at the antenna wire. I had similar issues with short range, and erratic response to controls, before ripping out the stock module.

Replacing the stock module with a FrSky module, and the firmware with er9x (openTX would be the current option), makes the 9X a reasonably reliable and cheap radio. There are also other reliable modules that could be used. I liked the FrSky module because the telemetry receiver warned of a low signal long before it was out of range which was a confidence boost.

The 9X was once a great option for learning how to do hardware modifications without risking the destruction of an expensive radio. There are better low price radios available today.
Robert_AU is online now Find More Posts by Robert_AU
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2015, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by alcurtis93
United Kingdom, Dalton-in-Furness
Joined Mar 2015
119 Posts
I just plugged a battery into the APM power module without realising one of the ground wires from the power module to the board was severed. No idea how that happened but the board went up in smoke. The ppm encoder light still comes on but it isn't picked up by mission planner anymore. Is it dead or can it be salvaged?
alcurtis93 is offline Find More Posts by alcurtis93
Old May 02, 2015, 07:42 AM
Find More Posts by Arakon
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
1,223 Posts
You can try connecting with a FTDI or similar USB adapter using the telemetry port. If you still get nothing, there are two fuses on the board (rectangular parts with a "4" on them, check if they are popped.
Arakon is online now Find More Posts by Arakon
Old May 02, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2015
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
You can try connecting with a FTDI or similar USB adapter using the telemetry port. If you still get nothing, there are two fuses on the board (rectangular parts with a "4" on them, check if they are popped.
I have an APM 2.8 board. I don't see any 4's. It is detected when I plug it into the computer but none of the three lights come on, only the ppm encoder led. There's power from the input side but not output side
Old May 02, 2015, 10:09 AM
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
1,223 Posts
May be labeled T05 in your case then.
Bottom left and top right in this image: http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1cmf1G...Xq6xXFXXX3.jpg
Old May 02, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2015
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arakon View Post
May be labeled T05 in your case then.
Bottom left and top right in this image: http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1cmf1G...Xq6xXFXXX3.jpg
Checked and both look fine thanks. There's a strong smell of burnt electronics coming from the board
Old May 03, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by geofrancis
nothing is unfixable
United Kingdom, Scotland, North Ayrshire
Joined Feb 2010
1,145 Posts
has anyone tried this ? it looks like someone made a cheap adapter for a HC-SR04 sonar module to make it directly compatible with apm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hot-sellin...item33a15d7f2a
geofrancis is offline Find More Posts by geofrancis
Old May 03, 2015, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by magic_marty
<Marty>
United States, KY, Springfield
Joined Jul 2011
2,123 Posts
Quick question. ...I flew my tricopter the first time since thus past November and my flight modes are not working rite. Only has althold but MP shows on the flight data screen they are switching when I select them. Anybody have a idea what's going on..I crashed twice cause I switched to auto and it freaked out and the motors twitched and cut out...should I try recalibration everything and see if it helps? What's weird is MP showing the flight modes switching when I select them on my tx... also it's showing a good gps lock on MP.
Thanks all...
magic_marty is offline Find More Posts by magic_marty
Last edited by magic_marty; May 03, 2015 at 09:11 PM.
Old May 03, 2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by TheQuestor
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
4,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post
has anyone tried this ? it looks like someone made a cheap adapter for a HC-SR04 sonar module to make it directly compatible with apm.

The resolution SUCKS on these SR04s. I have a dozen of them for playing around with different arduino projects I play around with and unless they are pointing directly at something hard they return all kinds of poor data or no data at all.

Point them at grass and all bets are off. Anything past 4 feet is pretty worthless as well.

plus the actual area is so small that using these things with APM/Hawks are just not worth even trying.

NO sonar is really any good for these things. You want something accurrate and actually usable then look at either an Optical Flow Sensor or even better one of these

http://pulsedlight3d.com/
TheQuestor is offline Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
Old May 03, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2012
702 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofrancis View Post

Um, no.

You can try it but you might have a difficult time getting it to work properly with an APM. A supported sonar is likely to be a much easier option.

I have used a supported sonar with an APM successfully but they have limited use after arducopter 2.9. The supported sonars have a usable range out to 7-10m and perform reasonably well over many surfaces. The sonar you linked is very short range.

The only reason for using a sonar with an APM today is terrain following, where it works pretty well.. Altitude hold and landing are not improved by adding a sonar because they work just as well without one.
Robert_AU is online now Find More Posts by Robert_AU
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM
Find More Posts by dynam
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Feb 2012
816 Posts
Has anyone had this issue. I was flying my quad yesterday, it was about 20ft in the air and I was about 30ft was from it using the telmetry of driod planner2 and it said data link lost and the qaud came down crashing to the ground and I had no control, not throttle, nothing, why is that, what happened?
dynam is offline Find More Posts by dynam
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by mpjf01
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
2,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynam View Post
Has anyone had this issue. I was flying my quad yesterday, it was about 20ft in the air and I was about 30ft was from it using the telmetry of driod planner2 and it said data link lost and the qaud came down crashing to the ground and I had no control, not throttle, nothing, why is that, what happened?
Lots of possibilities. Do you have logs you can post? What failsafe settings are you using?
mpjf01 is online now Find More Posts by mpjf01
Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Madhampster
Canada, ON, London
Joined Mar 2013
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynam View Post
If you lost radio link and control I would think you had a brown out. Check your battery connections. Look for shorts in the wiring.
Madhampster is offline Find More Posts by Madhampster
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM
Find More Posts by kiosk
Joined Sep 2008
130 Posts
OK so we all know what happens during an AUTO mode mission if GPS fails for more than 5 sec., GPS_GLITCH triggers and if GPS_FS_ENABLE is true then it will either LAND or ALTHOLD based on its configured setting......all good.

BUT what happens if GPS_FS_ENABLE is NOT enabled and there is a GPS_GLITCH during an AUTO mission, but the GPS does recover lets say in 10sec.?
The ardu wiki doesnt really get into this, but I presume the vehicle will drift off course during the time of the GPS glitch as the INAV cant keep up on its own, but once it recovers would it resume waypoint course with due correction once it receives GPS data again? or perhaps it doesnt "trust" the GPS data after a GPS glitch so this will result in a flyaway?? (ie. INAV has lost course w/o GPS data, even if it receives new GPS data how does it know is good accurate location?)
kiosk is offline Find More Posts by kiosk
Old Today, 12:27 AM
Germany, RP, Diez
Joined May 2009
1,223 Posts
Worst case, you end up with a flyaway since the quad suddenly presumes to be in the middle of australia and goes off to go back home to you.. or rather, where it thinks you are.
It will recover once it gets a steady stream of good GPS data, but 10 seconds is a very, very long time for a quad that is moving at full speed to a location beyond the horizon.