SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by u2builder
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,994 Posts
Discussion
Are there any 2M 3axis electric sailplane kits?

I am interested in a 3 axis (REA) electric sailplane in kit form. I have been searching but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I am an experienced pilot, but have not tried sailplanes. I am not looking for anything special, just a good flying plane.
u2builder is offline Find More Posts by u2builder
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by pilotpete2
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,457 Posts
By a kit, I assume you mean a wood built up kit, rather than a fiberglass fuse ARF.
I don't know of any kits out there with ailerons. The Chrysalis 2M from NSP is a nice plane, it is RES, but maybe you could mod it to have ailerons.
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 02, 2010, 12:15 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,994 Posts
What a sad state of ARF-airs for folks that like to build em.

I have a Sig riser that I had started to mod. I was hoping to find a kit, but I guess I will pick up where I left off and hope my mod works out.

Or buy a foamy like an Easy Glider Pro or Radian Pro. I hate to buy a balsa ARF because I would like to build that type.

Thanks.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 05:05 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,210 Posts
Good luck finding much of any kits these days. And you're right, the few balsa kit options out there are all primarily RE or RES.

There were a number of nice plans from the various magazines that are still available. Or just dive in and design your own. If you cheat like heck and start with a known good planform and alter the plans as to airfoil, construction methods and such it's not hard to end up with your own design that borrows heavily from the inspiration that got you going.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 02, 2010, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by ShredAir
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,757 Posts
There is this plane http://www.hoelleinshop.com/e-vendo....%3D40%26p%3D40, which also comes in an aileron version.
If you don't mind the V-tail, this one has flaps and ailerons: http://www.hoelleinshop.com/e-vendo....%3D40%26p%3D40.
From what I've heard, shipping to North America is problem free.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 02, 2010, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Rookie mistake deleted
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Last edited by Krazykayak75; Dec 02, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2010, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by BMatthews
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
12,210 Posts
The Jester is a nice model but it's not an aileron design that the OP is looking for.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Dec 03, 2010, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by Lammergier
Bone Breaker
Dallas , Texas, United States
Joined Oct 2002
826 Posts
rea

Arthobby.com ?
Lammergier is offline Find More Posts by Lammergier
Old Dec 03, 2010, 04:56 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,994 Posts
Thanks. I hard a hard time understanding the German website, because while there is an English front end the descriptions are still in German.

The Art Hobby electro gliders are really beautiful. They are more like ARF's than kits, but if I go the ARF route they would probably make more sense than a foamy like a Radian or Easy Glider.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:13 AM
Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
United States, GA, Flowery Branch
Joined May 2001
1,345 Posts
U2, in addition to the Chrysalis, let me add a couple of other sites you may be interested in:

Sky Bench: Ray Hayes has several designs that he produces kits of. None have ailerons (because they don't need them) but you could always mod the designs if you had a preference for an aileron wing. Look for the Oly II, Oly IIS, and the Oly III. A lot of work went into these designs to make sure they were great flying planes, which seems to be your primary objective.

Stevens AeroModel: The HeliumMG has been getting a lot of praise on RC Groups for its very good flyability and ease of construction. Again, you could reduce the tip dihedral and add ailerons during the build if you wanted them. The landing gear is optional.
Joel Shreenan is offline Find More Posts by Joel Shreenan
Last edited by Joel Shreenan; Dec 04, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 09:19 AM
Find More Posts by Mitch-air
London
Joined Dec 2003
104 Posts
Maybe this is more like what you are looking for ?

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...=TM-CARBON-MAT

It is a good design and has done very well in UK league comps.

Pete
Mitch-air is offline Find More Posts by Mitch-air
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:37 AM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,994 Posts
Thanks again. More good suggestions. I contacted Bill Stevens to see what he thinks about adding ailerons. I have built several of his great kits. I know ailerons aren't necessary for a sailplane, but I find it disconcerting when I am used to three axis flying and find it disconcerting to me moving the left stick to control a rudder which isn't there.

The hyperflight was very cool and inexpensive, but it looks like it has giant flaps but no ailerons.

The Art Hobby Sky EV is looking pretty good to, though it isn't quite the build I was looking for as it is mostly prebuilt. They seem to have a nice line and replacement parts, which is good if I am not building it myself.
Old Dec 04, 2010, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,292 Posts
The rear spar on the Chrysalis 2-meter was put there in part as a foundation for trying ailerons and flaps on it later. However,there has never been enough customer demand for that to actually get around to trying it.

As far as your problem with which stick to use, it's customary to put the primary roll control on the right stick. In the case of a R-E model, that means the rudder.

However, with modern computer radios there is another option. Put the rudder on the left stick, then mix it 100% to the right stick. That way you can work the rudder from either stick.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:38 PM
USA, NH, Alstead
Joined Oct 2007
4,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Stackhouse View Post
The rear spar on the Chrysalis 2-meter was put there in part as a foundation for trying ailerons and flaps on it later. However,there has never been enough customer demand for that to actually get around to trying it.

As far as your problem with which stick to use, it's customary to put the primary roll control on the right stick. In the case of a R-E model, that means the rudder.

However, with modern computer radios there is another option. Put the rudder on the left stick, then mix it 100% to the right stick. That way you can work the rudder from either stick.
Yes Don, I know I could do that with my radio, but I'd rather have ailerons. I have spent many hours practicing my coordinated use of rudder and ailerons.

But, I think you have really gotten me excited about putting some ailerons and maybe flaps too on the Chrysalis! Would you be so kind as to suggest how you would go about doing it. I am an experienced builder so just some suggestions as to dihedral, and relative dimensions would be all it would take. This really seems like the way to go. I'll post a build thread which might be of interest to someone, but probably not many!
Old Dec 04, 2010, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,292 Posts
I planned to make the slots in the ribs for the rear spars wider, enough for a second set of spar caps just behind the original ones, and a hinge gap on the bottom of the outer panels for the ailerons, with a smaller hinge gap on top (just enough for the reflex) on the inboard panels for the flaps. Build the wings with the doubled rear spar caps, cut them free with a razor saw, sand everything smooth, shear web the rear spars. Might need some diagonal bracing to get enough torsional stiffness.

With efficient enough control surfaces, there is not problem running the same polyhedral as the RES version, we proved that on our old Monarch 'CX' RCHLG. The plane could be flown either way, with the rudder or with the ailerons, or by adding some excess rudder you could get roll rates in the Pitts Special category, again, as we demonstrated on the 'CX'. You could also get away with reducing the dihedral, but then you would also need to reduce the vertical fin area to maintain the spiral stability and resistance to dutch roll.

I did design a set of ribs with these mods. However, I'd really rather not use our customers as guinea pigs. I'd prefer to get a set of these ribs cut for myself and try it out, then we can swap out the ribs in your kit after that, if you're really dead set on adding ailerons. Might take a while, though, my plate is pretty full at the moment.

Of course, if you buy the stock kit and do the mods on your own, I can't really stop you.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse