HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:45 PM
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2004
59 Posts
Hot setup for slow stick

I'm looking to get a slow stick. I want a hot setup for it like lipo battery, BL motor, upgrades, etc. Can someone give me a list of items to get besides the slow stick box itself? Also, please suggest a reputable vendor where I can get a customized package deal.

Thanks in advance,
Luke
cub2000 is offline Find More Posts by cub2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2005, 11:29 PM
Checking the wind
Aubry Township, Kansas South of KC.
Joined Jan 2002
1,402 Posts
Hi Luke....

I bought an outrunner brushless from http://www.balsaproducts.com along with the speedcontroller for around 55 bucks. They also sell Lipo batteries and connectors at a good price. I'm running a BP-21 motor with their brushless 18amp esc and a GWS 8.4 propeller. There might be a better propeller I'm not sure, but regardless my Slow Stick now climbs straight up and out of sight if I want it too.

Good service from Balsa Products.

Mike
kansascloud is offline Find More Posts by kansascloud
Old Jul 12, 2005, 02:06 AM
Dude! Sweet!
Santa Maria, California
Joined Sep 2004
65 Posts
I'm using an AXI 2212/26 spinning an APC 10X4.7, a Jeti 18 amp ESC, and TP1320 3-cell lipos. Kindof silly for a stock slowstick, so I made it even sillier by putting on a 2-meter glider wing. Hauls it up like a rocket and soars really well.
rugan is offline Find More Posts by rugan
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:03 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2004
59 Posts
All the packges I see being sold either come with 300 or 400 motors. Are they brushless? If they're not, is it possible to buy with the brushless equipped or you guys just buy the brush motor package, then buy a separate brushless motor and throw away the stock motor?

Thanks
Old Jul 12, 2005, 09:39 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,855 Posts
You can buy the "Slope Glider" version of the slow stick if you don't want the motor. You could also buy one that comes with a brush motor and sell the motor in the "For Sale" forum on this site.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Jul 12, 2005, 10:01 AM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
It is so hard to go wrong with a Himax 2015/4200?4100? ,A Castle Creations P10.It all fits in the stock gearbox that comes with the regular slow stick...
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
Old Jul 12, 2005, 12:21 PM
ypsilanti mi
Joined Nov 2003
1,328 Posts
heres a link to allerc.com and he is a sponcer of the board, they have the most stuff in stock, this page is set up to click on what you wnat and the price is displayed on the bottom
Dave's one of the better places to deal with
I haVE HAD BRUSHLESS, 350'S 400'S GEARED NON GEARED AND A DOUBLE 350 D PULLING A 1280 PROP with 2 cell lipoly's, I like the double motor the best, a lot of power and simple
http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...1a1a9c76126b5a
steve ypsi mi is offline Find More Posts by steve ypsi mi
Old Jul 13, 2005, 01:50 AM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2004
242 Posts
This one has a Hacker 20-20 L, Castle creations Phoenix 25, APC 10 4/7 slowfly, Thunder Power 1320 3-cell Pro lite battery, Hitec HS-55 servos, a Dubro micro pull-pull control system, steerable tail wheel , Depron foam control surfaces which are much stronger than the stock foam.It has GREAT performance and flies very well.
RMac is offline Find More Posts by RMac
Old Jul 13, 2005, 08:18 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2004
59 Posts
RMac:
Wow, let me know if you want to sell that plane, which is now not a slow stick anymore
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:23 AM
United States, TX, Seguin
Joined Mar 2005
607 Posts
I have a slow stick with a Park 400 brushless, 20amp E-Flight ESC, and a 2 and 3 cell lipo which from what I have read should be a pretty hot setup. I have flown it and it does fly ok, though I know I have more tweaking to do.

But I also have two questions for you guys. When I go from zero throttle to 50% or more right away, the motor will start to rev up, choke a little, and then quit. If I ramp up more slowly the motor doesn't cut out and will get to full throttle (though I don't think it is really full throttle, more below). Is this a sign of drawing too much current from the battery? Or perhaps the battery is going bad (it has had a few crashes)? Or could the ESC be unable to handle the current? The battery is labeled as 10-12c.

Secondly, with the balance point at a hair more than 4" behind the LE, the plane seems to want to go vertical but it won't actually climb. It's almost more like it is flying tail heavy, but there is nothing towards the tail so I know it isn't. I do have a slight amount of down-right correction, but probably only 1*, not the usual 3*. I originally had the battery just behind the landing gear, but moved it forward to directly in front of the gear, and the plane seems much better balanced in flight. But in measuring the COG, it is definitely nose heavy now, and it seems to have a more difficult time climbing. The only item on my plane that isn't stock is a small wireless camera, probably only ways a couple of ounces if that (no extra weight from another battery, it runs off the main battery), and it is located directly behind the battery (was directly in front of it previously).

I actually have a third thing that might be related to the first thing. The motor doesn't seem to go all the way up to full throttle, I have noticed that in flight at full power it will for an instant have a more power but then will slow down to a lesser power. I don't know if that is related to the first problem, or if maybe I just need to reset the throttle range with my remote. I will try the latter sometime and see.

Thanks
mattchase is online now Find More Posts by mattchase
Last edited by mattchase; Jul 13, 2005 at 09:30 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 09:47 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,174 Posts
RMac:What motor mount are you using? Do you have unlimited vertical? How strong is that Hacker?

mattchase: I am to new at this stuff to answer your questions.
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:39 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2004
59 Posts
I have a 9 channel Futaba 9CHP radio for helicopters. Can I use it for small electric planes too or I need a plane version for flying planes? The only difference is that the sticks on the heli version does not have the rachet clicks like on the plane version. I'm not sure how it helps for flying the planes though.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 01:13 PM
Gig 'em
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2005
414 Posts
Cub2000, The himax 2025-4200 G/phoenix 25 combo. would be an excellent setup for the slowstick. www.lightflightrc.com has the lowest price I've seen plus free shipping! Run that on a Thunder Power 3 cell 2100mah lipo and it would rock. Lots of power and if you decide to later hook a camera on the fuse, it still has more than enough.

PM Vamooska as well for the slope version of the slowstick. He has the best available price for the SS.

Doc
flyingdoc is offline Find More Posts by flyingdoc
Old Jul 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
Seattle
Joined Feb 2004
242 Posts
Cub2000, I like this one, but I'm in the process of putting together instructions for the control surfaces/ steerable tail wheel.

DWA the mount is a multi mount from Steven's aero, and I purchased the Hacker motor from them as well. Great vertical, and exceptional agility with the large control surfaces and the pull-pull control system.
RMac is offline Find More Posts by RMac