Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2014, 07:24 PM
Joined Dec 2012
8 Posts
Discussion
Ultrakote vs. Monokote

I am building a Super Sportster kit after 25 years of not building. Recently started RC flying and have assemble ARF only.
I am having trouble getting Monokote to "settle down". I was told by some experience builders that UltraKote was a bit easier.
Wondering if anyone has experience with UltraKote and is it easier to apply than MonoKote?
expplane is offline Find More Posts by expplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2014, 09:21 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I've used both; but, I've shied away from Monokote as it has gotten a lot of bad press, lately. I used Monokote quite a bit, 15 years or so ago. It was a great product back then. People have said that Monokote has changed since then. Others say it is still a good product. So, asking this question here may well provide you with mixed opinions and may not clarify your question any. I need to try a roll, just to see what it's like.

Ultrakote is a good product. It goes on fairly easily and can be worked into some fairly tight compound curves. I like woven fabrics the best, Coverite and Solartex. However, some airplanes just seem to need a shinny surface.

The important point about both Monokote and Ultrakote is to pull the material tight around the perimeter and attempt to get rid of all wrinkles, before shrinking.

I would never use the transparent Ultrakote again, unless on a structure that needs no strength from the covering. I found transparent Ultrakote to be to soft for my liking. In this case, I would go with transparent Monokote as it is far stiffer and will add strength to the airframe.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Last edited by Mode One; Jan 10, 2014 at 07:38 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2014, 10:16 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
I have always used Ultracote and basically for only one reason. Ultracote can be reheated and removed and repositioned if you make a mistake. Removing Monokote destroys the covering and requires you to do some clean up on the wood and re-sand. Removing Monokote makes a mess and is a lot or work.
I also like the fact that Ultracote is a low temp application where Monokote uses a higher temp.
Maybe if you gave us some more details about your problem (I am having trouble getting Monokote to "settle down".) someone might be able to give you some advice on how to correct your current problem.
Nick
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:41 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,765 Posts
I'd use ultrakote over monokote all day long. But, if you want to know what is my favorite covering is for electric models is, that would be SolarFilm (AeroFilm) and So-Lite (AeroLite). Those two covering materials makes a rookie like me almost know what I am doing. They can be purchased from here:

http://www.stevensaero.com/AeroFILM-...lane-Covering/
http://www.mountainmodels.com/index.php?cPath=49

Look how well the film shrinks up on this small wing:

Covering A Typical Model Airplane Wing Top Surface (8 min 15 sec)

Frank
Murocflyer is online now Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:42 AM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,803 Posts
One thing to remember when using Ultracote is that it works at two temp ranges. I've found it best to follow the directions and apply it at a lower temp, then shift to a higher temp to shrink it up.

As to preferences, I started with Super Monokote in the late 1960's, when you bought it by the foot off a roll in the hobby shop. It was my primary covering material up until a short while ago, when I tried Ultracote and found how much better it is. Yes, I can attest that SM has changed formulae several times, with the latest being inferior to Ultracote.

CD

p.s. By the way, from what I've been able to find out by talking with folks overseas, Ultracote is another name for Profilm and Oracover, just as Fibafilm is what used to be sold by Coverite (before Great Planes assimilated them) as Micafilm.
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:31 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,506 Posts
Here's why I no longer use Monocote, and use Ultracote. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=shatter
This was quite a while ago, but I know from the ARFs at the field that are covered in Moncote, the issue still persists...
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:40 AM
Joined Dec 2005
522 Posts
I use both equally well.
RustyK is offline Find More Posts by RustyK
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:55 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,843 Posts
Monokote is heavy, expensive and brittle, often shattering on impact..
IMO there other, often better choices currently
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 10, 2014, 03:59 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,516 Posts
I'm another Solarfilm supporter. Airspan, Litespan, Solite, Solarfilm and Solartex. Used them all at one time or another.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Jan 10, 2014, 05:54 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2013
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb View Post
I'm another Solarfilm supporter. Airspan, Litespan, Solite, Solarfilm and Solartex. Used them all at one time or another.

charlie
Are any of these appropriate for larger planes? For example, a 6 foot span, 6 pound AUW balsa trainer? Thanks.
Yoda466 is online now Find More Posts by Yoda466
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:15 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,516 Posts
Solarfilm. I used it on my 60", 7lb WACO YMF.

But, it isn't fuel proof. Solarkote is fuelproof.

http://www.solarfilm.co.uk/

charlie
Old Jan 10, 2014, 06:46 PM
Nick
United States, AL, Hoover
Joined May 2012
175 Posts
Lately I have been using the covering Hobby King sells. Its works excellent . Its a low temperature covering and its properties mimic Ultracote. I have covered four glow planes with it and no problems. I used on some foam planes with great results.
Its $7 - $9 a roll depending on color and type and their rolls are 15 feet long. They have a good selection of colors.Order a double or triple roll and it comes as one piece perfect for covering large planes.Shipping varies depending on how many rolls you order from $3 - $5 per roll.
Monokote and Ultracote rolls are only 6 - 6.5 feet long and sell around $16 - $18 a roll.

Nick
Nicksbbq is offline Find More Posts by Nicksbbq
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:38 PM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
495 Posts
covering

I've had the oportunity to use most of the iron coverings, and have found they all have there good and bad sides to them, I liked ultra coat and oracover and solartex, but I found out that doculam is similar and lighter the only thing is you have to paint it, I'm not great at painting and maybe age has given me some paitence or wisdom so I'm trying it, I have several planes to cover and they made a mistake and sent me 2 500' rolls for $50, so if you'd like to try it your self let me know and I'll mail you some.
slam555 is online now Find More Posts by slam555
Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:40 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
I will never use transparent Ultrakote again, unless on a structure that needs no strength from the covering. I found transparent Ultrakote to be to soft for my liking. In this case, I will go with transparent Monokote as it is far stiffer and will add strength to the airframe.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:03 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,516 Posts
Doculam is neat stuff. If only I could see all the wrinkles before I paint it

Don't know how it works with gas or nitro though. It does work with diesel.