Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, San Lorenzo
Joined Sep 2011
82 Posts
Had an interesting flight today. Was a bit windy and gusting at my flying field today. I had my GOPro mounted directly above CG and a CG check showed it was balanced well. Took off ok but quickly realized it need A LOT of up elevator to keep it level. Had to trim a lot mid flight. Maybe the weight of the GOPro ? Landing was also much different with the GOPro, came in pretty "hot" but turned out well. Landing at the end of video looks pretty cool POV.

Eflite Apprentice S15e - GOPro POV (9 min 5 sec)
kwasch is online now Find More Posts by kwasch
Last edited by kwasch; Yesterday at 11:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 03:03 AM
Joined Jul 2014
1 Posts
Delta Ray or Super Cub S for the next?

I bought Apprentice S last week, so exited after reading so much good things about SAFE.

However ,sadly found out this requires a fairly large flying site. The nearest suitable fly place is about 20 miles away. I maiden it today and had so much fun, at beginner mode of course.

So, I think I need another plane, with SAFE tech, but can be lower speed and require less space to fly and don't have to drive 20 miles...

I have no idea which one is a better choice for my situation, Delta Ray or Super Cub S?

Also I have one more question, I read some post saying DR has build in telemetry that can monitor battery voltage. Wonder if Apprentice S had the same? I have DX8 by the way, so it will be nice if I can monitor the battery during flying.

Thanks for you help.
ljms is offline Find More Posts by ljms
Old Today, 03:57 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
I've just installed the TM 1000 into my apprentice.
You will need to do the same of you want telemetry from the apprentice.

It works great with the DX6 btw.

Jason.
Exaturbo is offline Find More Posts by Exaturbo
Old Today, 05:26 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljms View Post
However ,sadly found out this requires a fairly large flying site. The nearest suitable fly place is about 20 miles away. I maiden it today and had so much fun, at beginner mode of course.
All you really need is a site the size of a couple of soccer pitches, but it depends on your experience level and what surrounds the flying site.

How large a site do you have access to locally? The only option if you are very restricted on space would be an ultra micro, but they have their own issues the biggest probably being that they cant tolerate much wind.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Today, 06:38 AM
United States, WI, Colgate
Joined Dec 2013
779 Posts
Quote:
I bought Apprentice S last week, so exited after reading so much good things about SAFE.

So, I think I need another plane, with SAFE tech, but can be lower speed and require less space to fly and don't have to drive 20 miles...

I have no idea which one is a better choice for my situation, Delta Ray or Super Cub S?

Also I have one more question, I read some post saying DR has build in telemetry that can monitor battery voltage. Wonder if Apprentice S had the same? I have DX8 by the way, so it will be nice if I can monitor the battery during flying.

Thanks for you help.
Delta ray. You can hand launch and belly land. only needs a small space to fly in.
f3honda4me is online now Find More Posts by f3honda4me
Old Today, 08:21 AM
Joined Mar 2013
63 Posts
Quote:

I've been struggling a bit with the same thing. The Apprentice is fantastic to fly, but only in a huge space. I fly it very comfortably in an area that's roughly 700 feet by 300 feet in an oval pattern. The short sides are plenty for turning, and the long sides let you get some speed and some straight flight. But like you said, big areas like that for model aircraft are hard to come by.

Both of the other choices have some compromises IMO. A friend had a Super Cub LP that he bought just before the Apprentice S and SAFE came out last year. We found a lot of posts on the Internet about a Super Cub being a good trainer and first plane. I couldn't disagree more after seeing one in person! It might have been good in the past, but it's nothing like an Apprentice S. First, it's only 3-channel input, so it does not have ailerons. Second, it's very difficult to control in anything but the calmest wind. I think that's because of the light weight and also the lack of control surfaces, but I could be wrong. I don't know how SAFE will improve that... while it will be able to limit bank angle like it does on the Apprentice, it still has the same tiny rudder and elevator to work with. On the plus side, yes, it will fly in a small area. We were in a 400 foot x 150 foot area a few times and that was fine. Also, parts are cheap. It would be interesting to hear from a true beginner about how the Super Cub S handles.

I haven't seen the Delta Ray in person, but I have read good things about it. It sounds strange to me on paper, though. Even though it has 4-channel control, it only has two movable control surfaces. It must mix the elevator and aileron inputs to coordinate the movement of those surfaces. To get rudder control, it varies the speed of the two motors. I've spent enough time with coaxial helicopters to know that keeping two motors running the same speed in order to travel in a straight line is a lot harder than it sounds. You need to keep trimming the rudder on most coax helis (with not-so-great gyros) during a flight in order to keep the motors in perfect sync.

So in light of all that, obviously I'm afraid to buy either one because it could be a disappointment compared to the Apprentice S.

Quote:
No, the Apprentice S does not have built-in telemetry. To get battery voltage, you can add a TM1000 telemetry unit for $57. You would connect the TM1000 to the bind port on the Apprentice S receiver, so that's easy! The TM1000 comes with a battery voltage sensor lead that you can splice into the wiring somehow. I spliced it into a small EC3 extension cable so I didn't risk damaging any plane parts. If the splicing/soldering isn't your thing, they sell a pre-wired EC3 extension cable with the sensor for $20. With the TM1000 installed, you can go nuts adding other sensors. I have the altimeter and the GPS sensor.
flightengr is online now Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Today, 10:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, Liverpool
Joined Sep 2013
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WBBulldogs View Post
Thanks for all the tips everyone. What would be a good source for a collet adaptor?
Some motors come with a collet adaptor (E-flite ones certainly do). However, the spinner I mentioned in my previous post is a combined spinner and collet.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLSP175

se also:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post28800830

and

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post28837710
JPJI is offline Find More Posts by JPJI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Me and my models
Old Today, 11:45 AM
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
My wheels came apart during take off this morning. Are you all replacing them with something a little better?
stonecrazy is online now Find More Posts by stonecrazy
Old Today, 11:55 AM
Eye in the Sky
Joined Sep 2013
896 Posts
I own the Super Cub and the Delta ray, both will fly in small areas, as mine is "TINY ".

I Installed the SAFE RX in my Older Super Cub( just to see what it would do ) it does very well, but with the Cub you really do not need it. BUT no matter what plane you purchase the SAFE in beginners Mode limits your turning radius and it takes allot of room to make the turn ( not as much as the Apprentice ) but still room to do so.

HOWEVER, the super Cub is docile and you will not need Beginners Mode and the same with the Delta Ray , it flies nice in Intermediate or Experienced modes as well.
Plus you can switch back and forth if need be , with no issues as it changes fast with the switch.

One poster noted because the SC does not have ailerons some how it is not a good trainer for someone learning is Nonsense. And yes the Sc will fly in some fairly high winds.
I fly a Champ in 12 mph winds, and the SC is much larger, just so you know. In fact I like flying low and slow with my Champs and I do the exact same with my SC and can also with the DR .

As I said on another forum, I am not a three mistakes high guy, I am a three mistakes low sort of person......The idea one has to fly in the clouds is nonsense that is normally when many of these planes get blown away...ground level winds 5-7 mph, at altitude they can be 20-25 mph or Higher ,add someone trying to learn and problems arise. ( good thing they added panic button huh ?)

Most of my flights are well under 100 feet and 8 out of 10 is below 30...no matter what i am flying .

Makes no difference if it has ailerons or just Rudder/elevator.....

have Fun with whatever you fly.

I prefer to fly a Champ over every plane and heli I own.....I fly in the day and I fly them in the night( I prefer the night ).......it is a simple stress free and easy relaxing enjoyment to do so.

but if your trying to decide which one to get between just the two and you have already flown the Apprentice , I say get the DR next so you can operate it in a smaller area and possibly depending on size fly it in beginners mode as well.
But if you prefer the high wing design ( which is more forgiving) than buy the Super Cub.

ultimately it is up to you. BOTH are good training aircraft .
HGhost is offline Find More Posts by HGhost
Old Today, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecrazy View Post
My wheels came apart during take off this morning. Are you all replacing them with something a little better?
I'm surprised to hear that. I've been flying with the stock wheels for 4 weeks, and no problems.

Someone used Du-Bro Low Bounce wheels with good results.
They're quite a bit heavier, but it doesn't seem to affect the performance.
clearprop88 is online now Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Today, 03:18 PM
Joined Mar 2013
63 Posts
I'm using Du-Bro 3.5" TL's on the stock shafts. I had to make little bushings to fill the extra space between the hole in the wheel and the shaft, but that was no biggie. Works great, and yes, the added weight doesn't seem to make a difference.
flightengr is online now Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Today, 04:11 PM
Joined Jul 2014
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I'm surprised to hear that. I've been flying with the stock wheels for 4 weeks, and no problems.
Yea, the white hubs on both wheels separated. I glued them together, but I think Im going to investigate these DuBro 3.5" wheels, maybe bigger wheels will help in the high grass with landings. (I take off from the parking lot but land in the soccer field)

thx
Sandra
stonecrazy is online now Find More Posts by stonecrazy
Old Today, 04:32 PM
Joined Jun 2014
9 Posts
Du-Bro also makes collars that work good for filling that extra space. They are smaller than the stock wheel collars but seem to work just fine and have an allen screw instead of the Phillips head.
http://www.amazon.com/Du-Bro-Plated-...=du-bro+collar
EdG123 is online now Find More Posts by EdG123