Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:37 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Question
Multiplex FunCub ARF

Been scoping this model for a while now as it would suit the sort of flying sites around here i.e too rough for normal u/c.

I can get the basic kit for 80, but I'm looking to save money on the rec. 'power pack'. Factory built I've seen at 260! A guy on YouTube used cheap HK electrics and a TGY C3530 1100Kv with huge success.

Multiplex Fun Cub - Build List (7 min 25 sec)

Checking HK I see only the TGY D3530/14 1100Kv motor, also a few others which appear to be similar.

Question is whether the 'C' or 'D' prefix makes any odds or not? What do these letters signify anyway?
FlyBoy20 is offline Find More Posts by FlyBoy20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:42 PM
ZippoGeek
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2002
370 Posts
Not sure about those prefixes, but Multiplex in general makes excellent, durable ARFs.
zippogeek is offline Find More Posts by zippogeek
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:14 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
I would stick with a motor closer to multiplex recommendations to run a 13/4 prop. I used this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847 with a 40 amp plush speedy and with the 13 x 4 i draw 28 amps wot on the bench. This combo allows me to use the zippy 2200mah 3 cell battery and my fun cub is basically as multiplex recommends. More than enough power to go vertical, yet light enough to float around. I would recommend this plane to you, it takes off in about 2 metres and climbs nicely without any bad tendencies and when you are up, just cruise around 1/2 throttle, it is very gentle but will still roll axially at full throttle, loop at half and with flaps deployed at SLOW speed make landings quite easy.
micka80ella is online now Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
I would stick with a motor closer to multiplex recommendations to run a 13/4 prop. I used this http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847 with a 40 amp plush...
Does this motor come with a mount and screws, will it prop hang as in the vid?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:40 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
You have to buy the accessory pack aswell, its only a couple of dollars. I have not tried any hovering - not confident enough yet, so i dont know. It had no prop data when i bought it and just noticed it recommends a 10 inch prop? I will have to do a bench test again with my new meter - but in saying that everything is cool when i finish flying it.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
You gotta have the power and skill (in tuning) to get it to hang. I have one for a year now and still haven't mastered a high alpha landings
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:55 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
773 Posts
We are in a beginner training area and talking about prop hanging. Come on guys! Yes the Funcub can fly off a ploughed field and is a very stable flyer. Search Funcub and you will find plenty of alternative setups. Just be aware the motor mount design is prone to causing vibration, enough to shake the nose off so beware of too much power.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:36 AM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2010
87 Posts
It would be great if the fun cub was available RTF
Capt Buddy is offline Find More Posts by Capt Buddy
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
..Just be aware the motor mount design is prone to causing vibration, enough to shake the nose off so beware of too much power.
I wonder how much of this reported vibration problem is actually due to out-of-balance props? Logically, as motors are generally well-balanced, I don't see how the mount can cause vibration - unless they're not rigid enough - are they not?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I slightly tweaked my collet trying to high alpha land. So I have a little vibration making turns now...still flys fantastic
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined Jun 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Buddy View Post
It would be great if the fun cub was available RTF
The fun cub is available as a RTF. I just purchased one from Amazon. I also saw a few on Ebay.
Tower Hobbies have them (link below)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXCEHY

Tower is also offering 20.00 off orders over 150.00 plus free shipping.
ebelling1 is offline Find More Posts by ebelling1
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by micka80ella View Post
You have to buy the accessory pack aswell, its only a couple of dollars. ...
Do you mean the mount and prop adapter? Also, did you have any problems fitting your motor - the vid above looks a bit unusual and appears to show the motor mounted from the front?
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:16 PM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Yeah prop mount and adapter - but nothing is ever that easy, only thing i used was the prop adapter which is 4mm, then i had to buy 2 x 10mm M3 screws to mount it to the motor plate. I sort of rushed when i bought this without asking questions - but it is 113gms and 900kv, i tried to keep the weight and kv similar to multiplex kit. If you keep looking you want similar weight/low kv/mounting holes 25mm x 25mm where this one is 25mm x 18mm so only held on by 2 screws, but again i have never had any vibration problems and performance is awesome - we have a few where i fly and all i can say is use a 13 inch prop if you can, it will take off in less than 2 metres

Oh BTW that is a hobbyking 13 x 4 prop and both i got are perfectly balanced?