HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 06:05 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
Discussion
Sealing Envelopes

So I recently made one of my first envelopes by myself, using Mylar I bought from a Hydroponics store. I noticed it deflated rather quickly with just air in it. I am currently sealing the gores like so:

UHU Power Stick
Duct Tape
Apply heat using an iron and baking paper (to prevent burning the mylar)

How do you guys seal your envelopes? I found my Iron burned right through the Mylar at 200-250 degrees celcius, and when I put baking paper down to prevent this it just doesn't stick that well (although there is some merger I certainly wouldn't call it airtight).

One of my partners has got a mylar bag 'sealer' that uses 2 sides of heated metal to seal 2 pieces of mylar together, however I also just don't trust how good this is at sealing (and it doesn't seem like it would work well on a blimp, due to the need to be on both sides at once). Do you have any irons that you would recommend?
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Joined May 2011
44 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489372

this is it, but I use heat activated glue
Star Warrior is offline Find More Posts by Star Warrior
Old May 27, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2011
214 Posts
I actually followed that thread, and used the UHU Power Stick, but it didn't work that well for me, it could be that the technique doesn't scale up well (this envelope was 10m)
Narwhal is offline Find More Posts by Narwhal