HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:23 PM
Flick lives
beautiful, picturesque Southern New Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplaneguy View Post
Wow! What a great looking DC-3. I'm impressed so far.

What kind of flight times are you all getting on the stock battery?

Tony
10 minutes, with a mix of aerobatic and 50% pwr cruising.
BladeHead is offline Find More Posts by BladeHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2010, 04:19 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Bladehead, Are there any markings of size on your stock props?
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:56 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Morgan View Post
Bladehead, Are there any markings of size on your stock props?
ya, 8X4 "E-Pro"

I bought replacements at Nitroplanes, but I see they're out of stock already...Here's the link: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dyp-1002-propeller.html

It comes with 7 hub inserts to fit about any shaft, and it's really beefy...About twice the thickness where the blades emerge from the hub. I recommend them, if Nitroplanes ever gets them back in stock.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeHead View Post
Perfect! I have four 11.1v 15C 2200mAh pack with deans connectors, so I'll change out the stock connector to utilize them.

The "High and the Mighty" is good one. I watched "Island in the Sky" last night to get ready for this project. This afternoon, I hit the local hobby shop for paint and tubing for the gatlin guns.

Regards,
Tony
xplaneguy is offline Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 80mm F-86
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:23 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
ya, 8X4 "E-Pro"

I bought replacements at Nitroplanes, but I see they're out of stock already...Here's the link: http://www.nitroplanes.com/60p-dyp-1002-propeller.html

It comes with 7 hub inserts to fit about any shaft, and it's really beefy...About twice the thickness where the blades emerge from the hub. I recommend them, if Nitroplanes ever gets them back in stock.

Thanks BH. Mine will be here Tuesday. Need to get some OD paint.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
Quote:
Thanks BH. Mine will be here Tuesday. Need to get some OD paint.
Scott-Since you are painting your bird OD, are you doing a WWII C-47?

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
Quote:
Scott-Since you are painting your bird OD, are you doing a WWII C-47?

Tony
Yea, I'm going to pick out a scheme this weekend. Nothing too fancy, just solid OD with a little nomenclature on the vert stab. I don't want to get carried away because the key to keeping this baby flying as good as it does stock, is to keep her light,light and more light. I don't want another GWS F-86 style C-47. Although, GWS makes fine foamies. Not bashing at all. I have several.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I'm going to pick out a scheme this weekend. Nothing too fancy, just solid OD with a little nomenclature on the vert stab. I don't want to get carried away because the key to keeping this baby flying as good as it does stock, is to keep her light,light and more light. I don't want another GWS F-86 style C-47. Although, GWS makes fine foamies. Not bashing at all. I have several.
Scott, I agree with keeping it as stock as possible...It just flies SO WELL. I was considering converting to a Spektrum AR6110 2.4ghz receiver and using my DX6i, but I just don't want to mess with it for now. Guess there's no interference at my field because my DC-3 has been glitch-free so far.

Get some pics up, once you get going on ur C-47, okay?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 01:40 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
Quote:
I look forward to seeing the pics. From watching the videos, this aircraft looks to have more than enough power to handle a little paint and a few guns for my AC-47.

BladeHead-What do you think of the power/performance?

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:22 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
I look forward to seeing the pics. From watching the videos, this aircraft looks to have more than enough power to handle a little paint and a few guns for my AC-47.

BladeHead-What do you think of the power/performance?

Tony
It has power to spare. A smooth increase of throttle during takeoff, and she'll break free of the ground by about 50%. There's plenty of power to spare and get you out of trouble. I plan to hang a FlyCam under the belly once the weather warms up. Performance is really good. It loops and rolls, no problem. Pull back on the power some, bank it and turn with that rudder and she just whips right around. I tried stalling it at altitude...Cut the throttle, pull all the way back on the stick and hold elevator full-up, and she just mushes down--Very little wing drop. As I mentioned previously, you'll do most of your flying at 50% throttle.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:43 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,437 Posts
Great! I'm not sure if the stock motors could handle it but I'd love to make a C-47 tow plane. A CG-4A Waco Glider made out of foam. Hmmmmmm? That would be fun!

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Okay, that's it! I am pulling the trigger on this one

I saw all the videos on this model and really don't care that it does not come with Flaps, Retracts nor steerable tail wheel, it flys just great and handles much better than the certain smaller model from a company with three letters!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:12 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Anyone done a steearble tail wheel mod yet?
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:42 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Anyone done a steearble tail wheel mod yet?
Nope, but if you decide to, I suggest you do it before gluing in the vertical tail. There's good access to the interior of the fuse with the tail off. You really don't need to steer it though, because ground roll for t/o & landing is practically non-existent. I can make turns with the castering tail wheel during taxi with rudder deflection and blips of power. Only thing about the hard plastic tail wheel that I don't care for is the crappy noise it makes as it rolls on the pavement.
Last edited by BladeHead; Feb 27, 2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 02:50 PM
Flick lives
Joined Dec 2008
472 Posts
Quote:
Great! I'm not sure if the stock motors could handle it but I'd love to make a C-47 tow plane. A CG-4A Waco Glider made out of foam. Hmmmmmm? That would be fun!

Tony
It would pull a foamie CG-4A, no problem. You'd prolly just need to make the vert tail a little larger and give the wings some dihedral so it tracks nicely behind. Or, make it a 3 channel, (2 for rudder and elevator, 1 for cable release), with a small, light battery, and have a partner release from the tow n fly it down!

And... don't forget to paint the D-Day invasion stripes on ur C-47.