Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:02 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Build Log
Installing the Jeti 2.4 GHz module in the MPX profi mc4k

Recently ( june '09 ), I decided that it became time to jump onto the 2.4 GHz bandwagon...
However, I did not want to give up my trusty MPX profi mc4k.
Luckily, there are now several manufacturers out there, offering conversion kits to 2.4 GHz.
After doing some research, I settled on the Jeti Duplex system. With the Jeti system you can either convert completely to 2.4 GHz, or you can configure it
so that you can operate your TX on both 2.4 GHz or 72 MHz.
I opted for the latter option, since this would allow me to retain my 72 MHz rx's. Instead of having to replace all my rx's at once ( and spending a lot of $$$ at once... ),
This way I can gradually phase out my 72 MHz gear.

I ordered the TU module from www.rc-easy.de in Germany. I was ready to order all the stuff from hobby-lobby, but when I wanted to place the order, i discovered that they had pulled all the Jeti 2.4 GH tx modules from their website. On another thread here on RCG I read that there are some issues with the FCC certification.
So I ordered everything from Germany.
This is how the module comes out of the box, it includes a piezo beeper, harness to connect to the TX, and a switch to select between 2.4GHZ and 72 MHz operation, antenna socket, and the antenna.

The wiring has to be connected to the back side of the MC's circuit board. To be able to remove the circuit board, you have to dig pretty deep into the guts of the TX.
First, all the connectors from the sticks, sliders, and switches have to be disconnected from the board :

Next, the plastic cover over the processor and backup battery is removed, the 4 tabs which connect the pc board to the metal shielding are unsoldered.

After removing the mounting screws, and the connector for the display, the pc board can be removed.
Wires from the TU module are soldered to the back of the charge / buddy box connector, and to the back of the connector for the 72 MHz HF module .
According to most websites, the PPM signal is present on pin 4 of the charge / buddy box connector , and all the connections should be made on the back of the connector.
However, on some mc4k's, the PPM signal is not present there., my TX was among those, I had to solder the wire for the PPM signal to the back of the socket for the HF module, to supply the PPM signal to the Jeti module.

Here the finished installation :

Antenna and selector switch installation :

The antenna socket was installed on the front of the TX, next to the original antenna socket. The selector switch was installed in one of the empty expansion spots on the r/h of the TX.

I have not been able to do any flight testing yet, but on the bench, everything works perfectly, also, a range check done on the street in front of the house was good.
I hope to be able to do some flying this weekend, and will report, of course.
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Last edited by MTT; Aug 06, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2009, 07:37 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,029 Posts
Hi Michael,

Did you include any photos of the TX case opened with your new soldering joints? I ask as all I see is the photo of the completed closed case with new antenna.

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Aug 09, 2009, 07:38 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,029 Posts
Never mind...the other photos just magically appeared!

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2009, 07:41 AM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
For some reason, sometimes the picture(s) will not show, and instead only the little red "x" appears, but if you right-click it, and select "show picture", it will show...

No idea why that happens sometimes.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 08:15 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,029 Posts
Michael, are you at all concerned that you might accidentally flip the 72/2.4 switch while flying since it's located in such a visible location?

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2009, 08:50 AM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
No, the switch has a locking feature, you have to pull it up in order to move it.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 11:55 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
Michael,

FCC cert on Jeti stuff? I was able to get the tx module out of Hobby Lobby, but the rx's were not available. If it was FCC related issue, the tx would be more a issue than the rx's, I think? I end up returning the tx modules. Problem with Jeti's is issue getting rx in the US. You have to get everything out of Europe. I converted a MC 4000 for a friend using Spektrum module.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=57

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:17 PM
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Feb 2003
2,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
Michael,

FCC cert on Jeti stuff? I was able to get the tx module out of Hobby Lobby, but the rx's were not available. If it was FCC related issue, the tx would be more a issue than the rx's, I think? I end up returning the tx modules. Problem with Jeti's is issue getting rx in the US. You have to get everything out of Europe. I converted a MC 4000 for a friend using Spektrum module.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=57

Brian, an EAJ
Jeti rx's receives and transmits (for telemetry), so both tx & rx units are subjected to FCC approval.

Adrian
codezilla is offline Find More Posts by codezilla
Old Aug 09, 2009, 02:06 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
Here's the link to the thread about the pulling of the Jeti 2.4 GHz stuff, and the question about the FCC cert. , from the Hobby-Lobby support subforum : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1057497

And, yes, initially they had pulled only the Tx modules, but now the rx's are gone as well, the only Jeti 2.4 item still available on their website is the Jetibox.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 04:58 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,029 Posts
Thanks Michael, where do you get such a switch?

Regards,

Steve
Old Aug 09, 2009, 06:37 PM
MTT
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,004 Posts
It came with the conversion kit, but you can also get them at the Radio Shack stores.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 07:25 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by codezilla
Jeti rx's receives and transmits (for telemetry), so both tx & rx units are subjected to FCC approval.

Adrian

Oh, yes. I forgot about that part.....

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan