HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2004, 06:52 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Woohoo! Pic flies outdoors!

Long ago I started modding my Pic in hopes of flying it outdoors. You know how it goes, you start out making one or two mods and several hundred dollars later you still want to add more stuff Well after getting it all set up my one attempt at outdoor flight failed miserably. I had done everything to it EXCEPT a head brace and I think that may have been my downfall. I repaired the damage (minimal) and went back to flying in my garage again. That got a little old, so she sat for several months.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago. I upgraded my planes to the newish 3s 730 TP packs. They all fly better than they ever. Then I started wondering, hmmm, I wonder if the pic would fly on 3 cells? I've got a 14t 010 on it and fly 3 cells on all my 010-equipped planes. What the heck, let's give it a try! WOAH! The 9' ceiling in the garage never felt so low! I hovered for 9 minutes in the garage and the 010 was barely warm. Tail motor (dd IPS on 3x3) was warmer, but not hot. Then of course I couldn't help but wonder if the gobs of power on tap might help outdoor flight. I took it out and it was MUCH better. There's not much wind, but enough to cause problems the way it was set up before. Control was very good. Climb rate at 2/3 throttle is impressive, it really shoots skyward now. I got a little cocky and tried some forward flight. No problem at all, it didn't try to pitch up like it used to. Then it started getting a little far away and I pointed it back towards me. I started flying it back when the wind knocked it to the side. At that point my mind went completely blank and dumb thumbs took over Forward! No back! No left! No wait! A sickening crunch as it piled into the fence. Oh man, I knew it was bad. I've never wrecked it like this before! I could see the twisted up wreckage as I approached and already had visions of ordering a new heli But once I started looking it over, I was surprised to find the damage to be very minimal. The tail prop broke, the head popped off (of course), the gyro popped off and really that was about it. The MIA landing gear that I had installed just before the flight was completely unscathed. A few minutes in the shop and it was outside flying again. I don't know when I'll get up the nerve to try FF again, but at least I know the Pic is up for it now

Here's an older picture before the MIA gear...
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2004, 09:39 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
The gyro is bigger than the motor LOL
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops
Old Dec 04, 2004, 10:27 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Yeah, the GY240 is big but there's not a better gyro out there. It's pretty light, it's just the box that's big.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Dec 05, 2004, 12:13 AM
Ghetto Pilot
Joined Nov 2004
137 Posts
Try this to lighten things up http://www.helihobby.com/html/gy240.html
blu-thang is offline Find More Posts by blu-thang
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:07 AM
Phoenix,Arizona, United States
Joined Jun 2002
4,634 Posts
Get some like90 blades for it Tres, i wouldnt recommend FF or FFF without them on a micro FP.

They ARE that good.

Dylan
Dylwad is offline Find More Posts by Dylwad
Old Dec 05, 2004, 01:47 PM
micro mechanic
Oz, Kansas
Joined May 2004
2,303 Posts
try FF by flying from side to side,rather than away and towards...good way to start.
aerohawk1 is offline Find More Posts by aerohawk1
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:36 PM
Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2004
903 Posts
LOL TRES! Perfect description of a 'dumb thumb'

I vote MS Hornet FP blades for outdoors. The Like90's were nice looking but the pair my friend received were out of track and balance. Not a big deal but not worth the $5 he saved
ChrisT88 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisT88
Old Dec 05, 2004, 03:52 PM
Pro Bro #495
Farmington NM
Joined Apr 2002
3,194 Posts
I loved FFF with my Pic. Not because it did it so well, but because it took way more abuse than my FP hornet. The Hornet actually did it better, but the fragile $35 blades scared me so much that I didn't enjoy it. I had the head pop of the Pic in FFF because of a glitch that made the motor cut out and come back real fast, and I didn't have to replace a thing. Just glued the gear back together.
fwilly is offline Find More Posts by fwilly
Old Dec 05, 2004, 04:07 PM
Melbourne Australia
Joined May 2003
5,263 Posts
Hey Tres...I didn't know you were into micro helis ! Don't recall seeing any of your posts previously.

It's Pretty much all I fly now. A lot more fun and reliable than those Windbusters !
OzzieFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzzieFlyer