SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2014, 05:29 AM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Discussion
For a beginner - Which hobbyking plane

I am thinking of getting into this hobby.
My earlier thought was quadcopters because they seem to be easy to fly. but I guess I would get bored with them.
Moreover, even to carry a #16 or a mobius, I would need something powerful and expensive.
Enter standard planes.
I see lots of options in hobbyking beginner ready to fly section.
What do you recommend for someone who wants to enter into this hobby?

Can you also tell me some details like
1. Do planes take a run up like standard airplanes, or do you hand launch them with propeller running
2. What is the range on the remotes? Is it easy to go out of range. I am worried I would go out of the limited range fairly quickly and then have to run after the craft
3. What is typical flying time of a standard 1.5kg plane with a 1000-1300mha LIPO?
4. Is landing very tricky. I do not want to destroy the plane on my first attempt!
tsk1979 is offline Find More Posts by tsk1979
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:22 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am thinking of getting into this hobby.
My earlier thought was quadcopters because they seem to be easy to fly. but I guess I would get bored with them.
Moreover, even to carry a #16 or a mobius, I would need something powerful and expensive.
Enter standard planes.
I see lots of options in hobbyking beginner ready to fly section.
What do you recommend for someone who wants to enter into this hobby?

Can you also tell me some details like
1. Do planes take a run up like standard airplanes, or do you hand launch them with propeller running
2. What is the range on the remotes? Is it easy to go out of range. I am worried I would go out of the limited range fairly quickly and then have to run after the craft
3. What is typical flying time of a standard 1.5kg plane with a 1000-1300mha LIPO?
4. Is landing very tricky. I do not want to destroy the plane on my first attempt!
These are such fundamental questions that I think you would be well advised to do a lot of reading here: http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/ There will be a lot of discussion about what is good and what is less good.

Some quick answers to your other questions:
1. Some are handlaunched, some have landing gear and takeoff from a runway. Handlaunched can have advantages for learning as there is no landing gear to tear off
2. Range is far more than you can effectively see a model
3. the sort of models that use 1000-1300 packs typically weigh well under 1kg. There are too many variables to state a typical flying time, but 10 minutes should be readily achievable for a training model
4. Yes. So is orientation - telling what direction the model is going and how to adapt your control inputs. Spend a lot of time on a simulator (10 plus hours), or learn to fly with a competent pilot using a buddy cable, or be prepared for a very short first flight.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 12, 2014, 06:56 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,790 Posts
Hi Tsk1979,

Welcome to RC flying!

You will quickly learn that many manufacturers provide false claims. Planes that are listed as being perfect for beginners are frequently too difficult for a beginner to fly. I would advise you to stay away from HobbyKing at this time. Although their prices are terrific, you kind of get what you pay for. Most of the planes they sell will not fly well right out of the box. You need to tinker with them, possibly replacing the electronic components, moving components around to get the proper center of gravity, etc. Some planes have been known to come with parts missing. Good luck trying to find replacement parts.

Spend a little more money and get yourself a quality plane to start with. It will make your learning curve MUCH easier. One of the best manufacturers in the industry is Horizon Hobby. Their planes are more expensive, but they fly right out of the box, they are very well designed to be easy to fly, they have spare parts available at most local hobby shops and all over the internet, and their customer service is legendary.

They have a full line of beginner planes from small inexpensive models to large expensive ones. Here is their list of beginner planes, listed in size/cost order:
- Duet
- Champ
- Firebird Stratos
- Delta Ray
- SuperCub S
- Glassair Sportsman
- Apprentice S 15e

Do a search on these planes. The Delta Ray, SuperCub S and Apprentice S15e come with SAFE technology. You can choose from the transmitter, via a three position switch, whether to fly the plane in the beginner mode, intermediate mode, or expert mode. There is also a panic button that if everything is going wrong, you press the button and the plane will right itself and if you continue to hold the button, the plane will land itself.

For a plane to fly it needs sufficient air flow over the wings and control surfaces. On model planes, this can be accomplished in three ways. First, if the plane has landing gear, it can be accelerated along the ground until it is ready to fly. Second, it can be handlaunched (provided that it's not too large) so that the combination of speed provided by the hand toss and air flow provided by the prop produce enough air flow over the surfaces. Third, if the plane is light enough and the prop is large enough, the plane can take off right out of your hand with no toss required. (This usually happens with 3D planes.)

If you buy from a quality manufacturer and don't mix and match radio equipment intended for different purposes, the radios will work farther than you can see to control the plane. However, if you use a radio intended for micro planes to try to fly parksized planes, you can quickly run past their range. Same thing if you use a radio intended for helis to fly planes.

The electronic controls of a plane are designed so that when the battery is approaching it's low limits, the power to the motor will be shut down, while maintaining power to the control surfaces. This allows the flyer some time to land the plane with no power. Trust me when I say that you don't want to do this very often. It is a hard way to land and it shortens the battery life. Most planes will fly for 6 to 8 minutes and still have enough power to allow controlled and powered landing. 6 to 8 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but when you are a beginner, it will seem like a lifetime and you will find yourself quite exhausted after the flight.

Landing can be tricky and frequently is the most difficult part of the flight. One of the guys here has a great saying on his avatar: "Now that I got it up there, how the hell am I going to get it down?" There are several threads that deal with landing techniques. When you have purchased your plane, come back on here and we will give you advice on how to land it the best way.

Ask as many questions as come to mind. Good luck and have fun.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Last edited by Leo L; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:29 AM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Thanks a ton!
I am right now searching beginner forums.
I chose hobbyking because of their worldwide shipping. Since I am in India, there is no local hobby ecosystem here. Everything has to be shipped.
Will search for the perfect plane.
I do not mind opening stuff and using screwdriver. Until I require soldering, I am pretty okay with assembling stuff, no issues.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:04 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,185 Posts
These forums are like gold for someone who is not in a club and alone in the hobby. Everything you want to know is covered somewhere among all the forums on RCG including soldering. Take your time exploring the various forums and learn to use the "search" features on each one. Ask questions and ask for advice. Not all advice about what models and equipment to buy is correct and often comes from others who are also beginners. Buying from Hobby King is cheap but can have it's problems . Are you sure there are no other hobby supply sources in India?
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:07 PM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,790 Posts
If you must use HobbyKing, I would suggest the Bixler 2.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...laps_ARF_.html

It seems to have a pretty good following. Do a search.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:16 AM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Aug 2013
205 Posts
Even the Bixler 1.1 ARF that I recently bought has terrible instructions and I feel that a beginner would need to review some of the build logs and posting on this airplane before putting it together.

-Max
maxnew40 is offline Find More Posts by maxnew40
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:41 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
Two things make the Bix 2 a better pick are a complete inventory of spare parts in case () you happen to break something, and it's not so overpowered as the Bix 1s so it doesn't have that full throttle nose dive into the ground tendency if you launch it at 3/4 throttle or less.

It's the closest thing Hobby King has to something I'd recommend as a learner RC plane.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Mar 14, 2014, 03:02 AM
Joined Feb 2014
21 Posts
Thanks for your replies
I will check out the thread for Bix 2
I presume it can easily take a mobius on top fixed using velcro and stuff!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 07:45 AM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
Yes indeedy! As a matter of fact the Bix 2's canopy is so much more robust than the canopies of the Bix 1 and 1a that those owners are buying Bix 2 canopies and fudging them to their planes so they can attach cameras.

At some point you may want a more powerful motor. We're all spoiled by obscenely overpowered planes and the Bix 2 is not overpowered. Motors and ESCs are cheap though! No tragedy there. Fly it as it is at first. You don't know any better yetl
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:37 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,220 Posts
If you go with the Bixler 2, it'd probably be worth buying a spare servo and ESC. The odd doa is not too hard to accept at the price when you have plenty of spares, but if you're just starting and have no stock they're showstoppers.

The Bixler 2 runs 4 servos as standard and a 3S battery. Do not use an ESC that has a linear BEC. Find one that has a switching BEC and don't trust labels such as UBEC and SBEC that might imply a switching BEC - make sure it's explicit in the specs or is mentioned in the product feedback. Or use an external switching BEC of about 3A capacity.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Mar 14, 2014, 10:11 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,049 Posts
Couple of other things you'll need to get started.
The HK orange T6 transmitter works very well.
The orange 6 channel recievers.
Eco 6-10 charger.
The zippy line of batts work very well such as the Rhinos.
The Turnigy Plush is a reliable line of ESCs
These are a good line of hardware parts to get started and can be updated as you get deeper into the hobby.
I'm sure others have their own choices but these have worked reliably for me.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Mar 14, 2014, 01:38 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
4,601 Posts
And if you buy a different ESC, it's a good idea to upgrade to a 40A ESC, anticipating future upgrades. If you REALLY want to do it right, upgrade to a Super Brain 40A data logging ESC ( $30) and the USB linker for $6.73. This combo will be useful for any plane you might get to test your power system actually in flight to ensure all the components are properly matched.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:02 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,685 Posts
My first suggestion is to forget about Hobbyking, and get yourself an E-flight Apprentice. then get your AMA, and join your local rc club and find an instructor that can help you out. Good luck, hope you enjoy the hobby.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict