HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
Waverly, WA
Joined Dec 2003
76 Posts
Discussion
CX2 problem after crash - coupling between aileron/elev and little forward flight

I smacked by CX2 into a tree limb and broke both lower blades. Replaced them and now it ain't flying like it used to. Seems to be some coupling as in, when I try to give forward elev it wants to go right, and there is very little forward movement in elev. The whole bird just feels wacked and I am looking it over. There does seem to be a lot of "slop" with these blades where they connect on the shaft, maybe thats normal. What else could have got broken, out of adjustment? It appeared to be just the blades broke. Swash looks level to me.
It was flying great before.
Maybe someone take a look at my video and see if you spot anything? I am not totally familiar with CX2 yet only had it for a short while. (the video is reverse since it was done from this macbook). Thanks a lot!

Blade CX2 servo/links/swash issue (1 min 17 sec)
PalouseFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PalouseFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:55 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
It looks like the anti rotational pin "could" be bottoming out. If you grasp the outer shaft/bottom rotor, is there any play "up and down"?? This would indicate the upper collar slid up a bit when you crashed. Loosen the collar screw, pull up on the outer shaft/bottom rotor and then push the collar down so it rides on the bearing just below the collar. Now tighten the screw on the collar. Lets hope it's that simple...if not, I'll show you the way to the CX2 thread where you'll get more eyes and brains on this problem.

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:10 PM
Waverly, WA
Joined Dec 2003
76 Posts
Mike,
I loosened the lower shaft/collar and checked the seating of the swash, I don't think anything was jarred out of place in the crash. There is some slight play up and down with the swash plate, however when I tried to bottom it out against the retaining collar under it, that restricts the free movement of the swash. Ugh, I don't know I think these new blades I bought have a little more slop than the old set, and that isn't helping. I have managed to get the thing in the air and "sorta" hover it but its squirrely and very little aileron - and left/right was working great before, I don't know how it could have become so unresponsive in aileron... I think I may try moving the servo link to the third hole and see what happens.

Thank you very much for helping! This is an aftermarket swashplate, aluminum which came on it when I acquired it.

thanks, mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
It looks like the anti rotational pin "could" be bottoming out. If you grasp the outer shaft/bottom rotor, is there any play "up and down"?? This would indicate the upper collar slid up a bit when you crashed. Loosen the collar screw, pull up on the outer shaft/bottom rotor and then push the collar down so it rides on the bearing just below the collar. Now tighten the screw on the collar. Lets hope it's that simple...if not, I'll show you the way to the CX2 thread where you'll get more eyes and brains on this problem.

Mike.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:57 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
The ball links from the swashplate to the lower blades should be vertical. Yours are angled from what I can see. It would appear if something has slipped or broke on the lower part of the lower rotor hub. It could be the lower part of the rotor has dropped slightly, and then turned some. You may have to remove the lower rotor hub, and check it. It may be possible to loosen the 2 setscrews, (on the lower part of the rotor hub) then straighten the links by turning the lower part of the rotor. Make sure it's tight up against the upper part of the rotor hub, then snug up the setscrews to prevent it from slipping. If the links go at an angle again, it may be something is broke.
flyeraroo is offline Find More Posts by flyeraroo
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:42 PM
Waverly, WA
Joined Dec 2003
76 Posts
Well, for whatever reason, the spines that stick out (they extend into the middle of a slot on the servo links to the ball joints on the blades) are at an angle to the the blades. Not straight up and down. This is a metal (aluminum) swashplate and it is in 2 pieces, and a slot in the upper half slides over the allen screws on the lower half. And this forces the spines - and hence the ball links are at an angle to the swashplate. I can't figure it out, I have been monkeying with this thing all day and it makes no sense. I am tempted to track down the original plastic stock swash and trash this aftermarket one. The weird thing is, it was flying pretty nice up until it hit a tree branch snapping off the ends of both lower blades... nothing else damaged that I could see... I buy new lower blades... put them on... and I can't even get the heli to hover at all without the thing heading off in some weird direction, and no aieron control at all to speak of. It is whacked up for sure. I will try to rebuild the whole swash I think and try to get it back to stock. Ugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
The ball links from the swashplate to the lower blades should be vertical. Yours are angled from what I can see. It would appear if something has slipped or broke on the lower part of the lower rotor hub. It could be the lower part of the rotor has dropped slightly, and then turned some. You may have to remove the lower rotor hub, and check it. It may be possible to loosen the 2 setscrews, (on the lower part of the rotor hub) then straighten the links by turning the lower part of the rotor. Make sure it's tight up against the upper part of the rotor hub, then snug up the setscrews to prevent it from slipping. If the links go at an angle again, it may be something is broke.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:15 AM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalouseFlyer View Post
Well, for whatever reason, the spines that stick out (they extend into the middle of a slot on the servo links to the ball joints on the blades) are at an angle to the the blades. Not straight up and down. This is a metal (aluminum) swashplate and it is in 2 pieces, and a slot in the upper half slides over the allen screws on the lower half. And this forces the spines - and hence the ball links are at an angle to the swashplate. I can't figure it out, I have been monkeying with this thing all day and it makes no sense. I am tempted to track down the original plastic stock swash and trash this aftermarket one. The weird thing is, it was flying pretty nice up until it hit a tree branch snapping off the ends of both lower blades... nothing else damaged that I could see... I buy new lower blades... put them on... and I can't even get the heli to hover at all without the thing heading off in some weird direction, and no aieron control at all to speak of. It is whacked up for sure. I will try to rebuild the whole swash I think and try to get it back to stock. Ugh.
Pay attention to #6 in this document. You may have to remove the aluminum lower rotor hub from the shaft to check it out. The lower part of the hub has a "u" shape which must be lined up correctly to keep the anti-rotation pins perpendicular to the blades.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Hi...rodID=EFLH1245
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
Waverly, WA
Joined Dec 2003
76 Posts
Hey thanks flyeroo
I was able to finally get this thing back assembled in some semblance of controlled flying. The rotor head is in two parts, and the "Lower Main Rotor Blade Mounting Pins (2)" are on a lower part that slides into the upper part (which the blades secure onto). The weird thing is, the lower mounting pins are at an ANGLE to the to the allen set screw on this part, and so when all is connected you end up with the linkages at an angle to the main shaft. It is wacky I can't figure it out. I kept playing with it and my latest "solution" is to simple leave off the allen screws on the lower part, and that seems to keep the servo links parallel to the shaft - and I was then able to hover the heli without too much trouble and everything seems okay for now. I know that sounds weird. I think I will be looking for another heli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeraroo View Post
Pay attention to #6 in this document. You may have to remove the aluminum lower rotor hub from the shaft to check it out. The lower part of the hub has a "u" shape which must be lined up correctly to keep the anti-rotation pins perpendicular to the blades.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Hi...rodID=EFLH1245
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:29 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,628 Posts
IMHO, I don't think you need a new heli. I think you need a good quality lower rotor. I hope my peers don't blow me out of the water on this but, I own the Esky Lama V4. It's very much like the CX2. Many of the parts are interchangeable. Many parts on my V4 are Skytec and I'm extremely pleased with them all. IMHO, worth every penny.

Maybe someone can comment on the CX2 Skytec lower rotor (or other parts):
http://helideluxe2010.ecrater.com/c/...ade-cx-cx2-cx3

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:45 PM
Waverly, WA
Joined Dec 2003
76 Posts
Thanks chap... I will keep flying this one, maybe do like you suggest and just look for another rotor... I like the heli fine, I just don't like it when parts appear to be designed to cause problems, and then you wonder what the designers were thinking when they made it... unless I am totally missing something here. The linkages make no sense being forced to extend at an angle to the shaft though. that dissipates the extend to which the blade can be turned. So yeah, maybe shop around for a diff rotor or just go back to the stock plastic part I think I may try that first... I am learning about this heli, it is simple and yet actually flies quite well. As long as I don't aim for a tree limb haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
IMHO, I don't think you need a new heli. I think you need a good quality lower rotor. I hope my peers don't blow me out of the water on this but, I own the Esky Lama V4. It's very much like the CX2. Many of the parts are interchangeable. Many parts on my V4 are Skytec and I'm extremely pleased with them all. IMHO, worth every penny.

Maybe someone can comment on the CX2 Skytec lower rotor (or other parts):
http://helideluxe2010.ecrater.com/c/...ade-cx-cx2-cx3

Mike.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:44 PM
"whirlydude"
United States
Joined Sep 2008
1,510 Posts
I fly my CX2's around in my basement, and I have steel support poles down there. I swear the magnets in the helicopter motors are so powerful that they pull the helicopter right towards the steel poles. ha,ha,ha
I have the Eflite lower rotor heads and haven't had any issues even after many of crashes, could be you got a bad one. I don't know why Eflite didn't make them all one piece. Microheli also makes a lower rotor head, but I don't know how good they are.