SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Believe him when he says he flies Zippy's. He brought to Vegas last year a cardboard box that would hold a case of beer but it was full of Zippy's!

J
Yeah I rememebr that..You asked if I was a rep for Zippy. I said no and wondered why he would ask that, dosn't eveyone have a big box of batteries??? Basic equipment like a transmitter, airplane and big box of batts.

Wing tubes and retract mounts were put in the wings this morning and are drying..I hope to be glassing the wings this weekend.
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Last edited by falcon5; Mar 15, 2012 at 04:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:02 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
before you do the take a pic of the whole thing mocked up im holding my breath and turning Blue (or whatever color black people turn when we hold our breath! )
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:47 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,146 Posts
what are you planing on for the weights of the glass cloth and what directions are you going to run the cloth in ? if you need help i might be able to recommend a few tips. ...if you need them. they got to support the weight of the plane X how many "G" 's you plan on pulling ...this wing will be built kinda like a longEZ the glass is the main structure of the wing .
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:14 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY View Post
what are you planing on for the weights of the glass cloth and what directions are you going to run the cloth in ? if you need help i might be able to recommend a few tips. ...if you need them. they got to support the weight of the plane X how many "G" 's you plan on pulling ...this wing will be built kinda like a longEZ the glass is the main structure of the wing .
Absolutly, I will take all the help you can muster, .The plan was to use 5.8 oz cloth. I had no idea there was a direction to it. you mean like the grain of wood, cloth as something similar??
Last edited by falcon5; Mar 15, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:26 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon5 View Post
Absolutly, I will take all the help you can muster, .The plan was to use 5.8 oz cloth. I had no idea there was a direction to it. you mean like the grain of wood, cloth as something similar??
All know is that if you go at an angle it's different to lay down than straight with the weave. AIR SALLY, pdawg, and corsair nut would be whom I would be sending a PM to right about now. They have demostrated a high degree of knowledge on composit structures.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,146 Posts
heres my take ...one layer of 5.8 with the coth at 90 degrees to your spars..the selvage edge (the sown part on the sides) at the root of the wing .in a square or tapered "V" shape that covers your spar and retract areas and extends 2" beyond what ever structure you have imbedded in the wing. then cover the whole wing with a layer still at 90 degreees....the next layer you will cut out on a 45 degree angle ...so there will be some watse material involved.then i would do 2 layers of 2oz. over that on the 90 and 45 if you want too the last of those 2 layer is a sacrifical ply any way as most of that would get sanded off during the body work pahse .the reason to change the direction of the cloth is for strength.the 90 degree ply works with your spars to carry the load ,the 45degree direction will add strength in the twisting direction keeping your wings stiff, not allowing them to deflect from control inputs and wind gust. you may add another layer of 2oz wrapped around the LE .and extending back 2" or so .this is to help with the overlaps at the LE which create a "C" channle.that is what i would do .if anyone out there can add or subtract from this let us know.theres no balsa sheeting so the strength has to come from the glass.and we are talking about a 25-30 lbs plane that flown like a jet is going to pull at least 4-6 g's. of course your spars extending out into the wing would help too .got any pics of tyour spars and gear structure?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:43 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Great reading Rodger thanks. I am at work at the moment and doing overtime Friday but should be able to post some pics Saturday.

Do I wait until one layer is completely dry befor aplying the next, ?
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:50 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Rodger and Brent..question. I am wondering weight vs stringth benifit.

A.) mulitple layers of glass alone.

B.) Balsa sheet the wing and one layer of glass
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Nov 2005
5,763 Posts
Quote:

I am at the same point with another build also, it's my understanding that balsa will add compression strength as well as torsional strength but a wood I beam the width of the wing (or at least most of it) at the thickest part would do the same thing right? I don't think it would have to be an I beam either, built up wings have some type of spar through out the width of them.

I recent did this spar with carbon fiber on my A-4 wing. I used a 2mm h x 8mm w x 56 " long and my kids can stand on it after SS1K the bottom of it with 2oz glass. The bottom of it is as hard as a rock, it's a little heavy but if the plane takes a hard tap I have no doubt the wing will come out the better.
erh7771 is offline Find More Posts by erh7771
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:23 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,146 Posts
Quote:
Great reading Rodger thanks. I am at work at the moment and doing overtime Friday but should be able to post some pics Saturday.

Do I wait until one layer is completely dry befor aplying the next, ?

i would do one side at a time and try to get one whole side down at once ...if you had a fixure so you could flop it over and back then i would try the whole thing at once .the first layer may start getting warm and kicking off ,but i think it would be stronger if all done at once or at least one side at a time,use small amounts of epoxy so it does'nt kick off in the pot .the more you mix the more it exothrems.so small batches of slow cure epoxy would be best .if it does cure and you need another layer added you can sand to to ruff it up and have better adhesion .or use a layer of peel ply.practice on your stabs first maybe to get a feel for how it is done.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:37 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,146 Posts
calling "Falcon " come in falcon ........you must be working or working on the wings.?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:16 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
I would defiantly cover the wing with balsa, this makes an incredible strong wing to begin with, then do a layer of glass. W

Quote:

Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,146 Posts
i think it would take a few balsa trees to sheet these wings ...glass cheaper than balsa
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:58 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Yup,kinda forgot about the size, but how much weight will be added with all the glass and epoxy it will take to get them covered and gain the same strength?w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
Capt. Z
Joined Dec 2004
2,653 Posts
Well Rodger last week after reading your awesome glassing tips for a non sheeted wing I thought about it and it made sence what you were saying. It will be a heavy plane and it would need a bunch of layers to get it where it would need to be strength wise. I did the math and it comes out lighter sheeting it and glassing with one layer of glass vs. multiple layers of glass alone. Sooo last Friday I ordered the sheeting. I had to put the wings aside this weekend while I wait for the wood to arrive but I did get a bunch of little things that needed to get done on the build finished. One was modifying the struts to take the 6" wheel. I am no machinist but I improvised and got it done. Hysol is some amazing stuff. To test it I abused it pretty hard simulating hard landings and side loads and it seems to be pretty solid so we will see. If it breaks I will have to just take it in and have it sweat soldered or welded.
Last edited by falcon5; Mar 19, 2012 at 09:35 PM.